Johannes H.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everybody,

Just bought a copy of Arctic Scavenger and am currently draw into this post-apocalyptic world. Love it but of course we have not made it further than the base game so far. So here my question to the AS community.

What is the best expansion, your favorite module or combo?

HQ Expansion
- Module #1 – Medics, Tools, and Gangs
- Module #2 – Engineers and Buildings
- Module #3 – Tribal Leaders
- Module #4 – Dirty Deeds

Recon Expansion
- Module #1 – Spy Hunter
- Module #2 – Liars and Thieves
- Module #3 – Expanding the Ranks
- Module #4 – Randomized Contested Resources
- Module #5 – The Kitchen Sink

Looking forward to getting your recommendations.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Bronson
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johannesh wrote:

HQ Expansion
- Module #1 – Medics, Tools, and Gangs
- Module #3 – Tribal Leaders

I love this game and I have only ventured this far (above), so I would love the information too. I need to play more often and add more in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gonzalvez
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! You both have great taste by choosing this game. I have played it many times both physically, and in the CardWarden app for iPad. I love it, it’s a highly strategic and thematic deck building game with a unique bluffing element.

To answer your question, I have only played with the HQ expansion, which I would consider essential. Every element added by the HQ expansion to the base game feels like an inevitable and valuable addition to the base game. The base game is solid, but really blossoms into greatness with HQ. I know that the included rules break up the HQ expansion into four modules to ease players into a gradual adoption curve, but if you’re an experienced gamer, you should able to handle adding all elements of the HQ expansion right away.

That said, if I had to rank each module of the HQ expansion:

1. Tribal Leaders
2. Medics, Tools and Gangs
3. Engineers and Buildings
4. Dirty Deeds

Tribal Leaders are the most significant element of HQ. When you select a leader, it completely changes your tribe’s strategy. Some leaders turn cards that are essentially useless in the base game (refugees) into very useful cards. Others give you bonuses for hiring particular mercenaries, like Saboteurs, or make you more efficient at digging through the Junkyard.

Medics not only add to your tribe’s medicine production, but also save your tribe members from being discarded if they have been targeted by a sniper. Very cool.

Tools are added to the Junkyard, and help to dig through the new Engineering Schematics deck.

Gangs don’t do anything during the game, but are a bonus to end-game scoring. A particular gang will join your tribe if you were the best at producing weapons, meds, or buildings. The gang joining your tribe provides a tribe member bonus that could make the difference between just losing, and winning by the skin of your teeth.

Engineers are a new Mercenary that has the ability to dig, not only through the Junkyard, but also through the new Engineering Schematics pile. Engineers can initiate construction of buildings. Once built, buildings provide useful features such as bonus meds production per turn, or the ability to store weapons or other resources so that they do not have to be discarded at the end of your turn.

Dirty Deeds expands the powers of saboteurs and snipers, making them more powerful. Saboteurs in HQ can now disable buildings as well as tools, taking them out of action until you discard a tribe member to repair the building. Snipers now have the ability to injure your tribe leader, disabling her effect until you apply and discard a med to cure her.

Overall, I would not go back to playing the base game alone. In my opinion, the HQ expansion completes the game.

I have not played the Recon expansion. I have heard from multiple sources that it is not as essential as HQ. I will probably try it at some point, particularly because it enables an official solo mode. But so far I am really enjoying HQ.

Hope this helps, enjoy Arctic Scavengers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can both expansions be mixed together? Or must they remain separate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gonzalvez
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skrell wrote:
Can both expansions be mixed together? Or must they remain separate?

They can be mixed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.