BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Elegant solo games, please rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can see from my avatar I love solo games. Onirim is a favourite I really enjoy handling cards and shuffling them, so that is actually part of the appeal for me in that game. I would not characterise it as elegant, personally (it's a bit fiddly!), but I do really like elegant game mechanics; Concordia is a big favourite, too. So...could you please recommend some smooth-playing solo games? I've got Onirim, and also enjoy The Grizzled, Lost Expedition, and Shahrazad. I don't have any other oniverse games yet, and am open to suggestions with those, and also looking forward to learning about games I have never heard of!

A few hopes: small box, relatively small footprint, simple gameplay but interesting decisions, around 30 minutes or so...

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can get hold of a copy, I would recommend Coffee Roaster.

You might also want to mosey on over to the 1 Player guild. Lots of friendly folk who know a lot about solo games. Good luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hostage Negotiator
Infection: Humanity's Last Gasp
Disaster on Everest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might check out the review below for Maquis
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1177661/maquis-perfect-soli...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Define elegant.

And play Aeon's End. I don't know if it's "elegant" (what a vague word), but it's streamlined. And refined. And enjoyable. And highly replayable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Define elegant.

And play Aeon's End. I don't know if it's "elegant" (what a vague word), but it's streamlined. And refined. And enjoyable. And highly replayable.

Elegant is a precise word and denotes unusual effectiveness and simplicity. It is the opposite of sprawling, convoluted, fiddly or 'clunky'. For example, I personally would describe a games like Onitama, Element, Hanamikoji, Concordia as elegant.

I've taken a look at Aeon's End, thanks for the recommendation. It's not my sort of thing, but thank you for recommending it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Branco
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
Having only played the iOS version of Onirim, I’m not sure how my recommendation compares on the elegance scale, but Friday is a fun solo deck builder that plays under your time limit. The artwork is also engaging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, there is a very good solo variant of Morels, now that I see you already have that in your collection. Here's the link:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/85739/soloplay-morels-v1p...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel N
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should try the other Oniverse games.

Sylvion
Castellion
Nautilion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Builder
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You seriously need to be asking questions like this over at the 1-player guild forum.
See this thread for example...
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1812909/solo-game-most-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PnP a problem? No, Barbarian Vince.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
3 Minute Boardgames
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bethel Woods plays 2 hand co-op as solo.
Raxxon Also, my preview of that game here https://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/166370/raxxon/raxxon-abo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Player
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
Friday is card based, small box, cheap, and a very good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The recommendation for the other Oniverse games is excellent. They are surprisingly different from each other.

I have played Sylvion a fair bit and like it a lot. Castellion I liked much less, but that may be because it is a tile laying game, which I do not enjoy that much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Cambridge
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Maquis

I'm also a big, big fan of Bowling Solitaire for something simple but interesting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.