Subject: Setup with a Formation of Tie Fighters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

Just wondering, if I want to put together a squadron of 6 Tie Fighters flying in formation - three rows of two each - how does that work on setup as they will extend beyond range 1. Does it matter?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
luckystreak wrote:
Hi there,

Just wondering, if I want to put together a squadron of 6 Tie Fighters flying in formation - three rows of two each - how does that work on setup as they will extend beyond range 1. Does it matter?

Thanks!

well. you can't set up beyond range one.

But you can fit things two small bases deep in that range . . . have you tried it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Derry. I've not tried much of anything yet. I'm just going through the initial phase of setting it up and drooling over how good it looks Once I get over that, I'll give your suggestion a go.

Do the setup rules change with the huge ships? Otherwise you would have to start with them sideways on the board, no? (newbie question, I know...).

Edit: Here's a quick pic. As you can see, I'm not really past the drooling phase just yet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also lots of strategy and explanation articles out there about setting up and planning moves for swarms of small fighters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For 2 columns of 3 deep TIEs, I have seen (and setup myself) a block of 4 TIEs with the last two at 90deg angles along the back edge. Like so:

Range 1
--------------

__ ^ ^
_> ^ ^ <
--------------
Edge of map

Such that on the first move, the 4 facing forward move straight ahead and the other 2 do hard turns to end up in the columns at the end of the first move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darkranex wrote:
For 2 columns of 3 deep TIEs, I have seen (and setup myself) a block of 4 TIEs with the last two at 90deg angles along the back edge. Like so:

Range 1
--------------

__ ^ ^
_> ^ ^ <
--------------
Edge of map

Such that on the first move, the 4 facing forward move straight ahead and the other 2 do hard turns to end up in the columns at the end of the first move.

Just what I was wondering. I'd seen pictures of 6 TIEs just as you describe, but wasn't sure how they could get that way considering the start rules.

This is really helpful, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you consider two rows of three instead? That gives you more guns on a target at the same time. With a broader formation (rather than deeper) you don't run the risk of your back row of TIE Fighters being out of range.

I did enjoy the illustration of how you could do the other though, nicely done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely. I suppose there must be advantages to both. If you go deep, then the back row is potentially further out of range, longer. But your way would as you say, offer more chance of closer range for all, for the attack. Hmmm. Difficult to know which is best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Alexander
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flying deep up the side of the board lets you be broad after a hard turn toward the center.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cowlishaw
msg tools
2 x 3 is better if you expect your opponent to set up somewhere "not opposite you". 2 x 3 is better if you think your opponent will accept a head-on 'joust'.

To do it with pictures:

_______________[Enemy]

___________________HHH
___________________HHH

is better than

_______________[Enemy]

___________________HH_
___________________HH_
___________________HH_

because the latter feeds TIE fighters in piecemeal, where your opponent will get TIE-one-shotting range 1 shots on some opponents whilst taking easily evadable range 3 from others.

BUT

The thing is, if you think your opponent will accept a head-on pass, it's because they obviously think they can win a head on pass (let's say, for the sake of argument, 3 harpoon missile armed scurrg bombers).
In which case.....you probably shouldn't be offering them one!

If they can't win a head on pass, they are likely to deploy on the other side of the board, and now your deployment looks like this:

[Enemy]_______________

___________________HHH
___________________HHH

Which doesn't work because when you turn towards your opponent, you swap from two rows of three to two columns of three - which is bad for the same reasons you deployed in rows in the first case.

So what you actually want is the columns

[Enemy]_______________

___________________HH_
___________________HH_
___________________HH_

Which shake out into rows with a hard turn towards the enemy.

THE BIG PROBLEM

A TIE Fighter Swarm, as a rule, has guff pilot skill and will deploy first. So you don't get to determine which of those formations you want, you have to guess. And your opponent will pick whichever deployment for their ships is now worse for you.

Therefore you need a setup which lets you adopt whichever formation you need based on how the enemy reacts

Consider this one:

[Enemy?]_______[Enemy?]

__________________HH__
________________H_HH_H

So what's this about, then?

If the enemy are to your flank, then the centre goes straight faster than the outsides, and the outside ships barrel roll in - you have now formed columns.

[Enemy]_______________

__________________^^__
__________________HH__
__________________HH__
_________________>HH<_

If the enemy is ahead of you, then the outsides go straight faster than the centre and you form a front rank of 4 and a rear rank of 2

_______________[Enemy]

________________^____^
________________H_HH_H
__________________HH__

Or (if space is an issue), the left flanker goes fast, whilst the right flanker goes at the same speed as the centre and it and the rear rank barrel roll left.

_______________[Enemy]

________________^_____
________________H_HH__
________________HH<H<_

The other approach, with TIE fighters facing in and doing speed 1 turns, is that with your ships facing different directions, you're locked in to forming columns. Which allows a canny enemy player to set up for a head on pass down the column and you not really having an easy option to avoid it:

[Enemy]_______________

___________________HH_
__________________IHHI

is great, but:

_______________[Enemy]

___________________HH_
__________________IHHI

is bad, and you don't get to decide which way your opponent is set up if they are a higher PS than your TIE fighters, which is pretty common.

Other deployment options:

You should also consider the following:

[Enemy?]_______[Enemy?]

________________HH__HH
_________________H___H

Essentially break down your squad into two groups of three. Keep them close enough to support each other, but it leaves you less vulnerable to having moves blocked by asteroids, splash damage, high PS ships boosting, barrel rolling and (especially) SLAM-ing out of your arc of fire entirely. Two small combat groups on a converging course provide crossfire, which is good at stopping people dodging your shots and is one of the best answers TIE swarms have to Auzituck gunships with Reinforce (which are nigh immune to 2-dice attacks from a reinforced side but fall to pieces satisfyingly fast when shot at from both directions at once)

Finally:

[Enemy?]_______[Enemy?]

__HH______HH____HH____

This is a dangerous option. Breaking your squad up into wingman pairs can result in two TIE fighters being asked to take on the bulk of your opponent's force before the rest of them can arrive to help.

It's useful against opponents who want to run away and shoot back at you at range 3 with turrets. Miranda Doni and Dash Rendar are prime examples of this; a TIE swarm struggles in a stern chase because (a) a 2-dice attack does next to nothing at range 3, and (b) if you want to turn, you're capped at speed 3, whilst a large based ship can move faster - much faster if it can boost as well.

This approach gives you a 'dragnet' - wherever your opponent goes, they should find both an element chasing them and an element coming in from in front. That gives you a chance to get range 1 shots and/or block them and let the rest of the squad catch up and dogpile them at range 1 - the way a swarm is supposed to kill its enemies...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.