Subject: Discarding cards already played eg Zero villain. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wayne Scott
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I was happy enough with my ruling on discarding cards that you have already played (even though it differed somewhat from the KO rule on page 15 of the rule book) but have since been challenged and on rooting deeper on it, I too am now confused.

For example: The villain Zero requires 3 cards to be discarded. Can you discard cards you have already played (like the KO rule)?
I figured the answer to this would be no but this post https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/999832/discarding-cards-eff... suggests otherwise.

These two however agree with me:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1725294/discard-question
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/19809291#19809291

If someone can clarify this for me I would be so grateful. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Cards that you play are no longer in your hand.

So if something said to discard a card, it has to come in your hand.

If a card says KO a card in your hand, then it's only a card that is in your hand and you couldn't have played it.

If a card says KO one of your cards, then it can be a card that you played.

See the difference:

Radiation Scientist (4 copies)
When you rescue this Bystander, you may KO one of your Heroes or a Hero from your discard pile.
VP: 1

Heartless Computer Scientist
Tech
When you rescue this Bystander,
gain it as a Hero.
------------
Tech: You may KO a card from your hand or discard pile.
2 Recruit
Cost: 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You mainly discard cards from your hand. If you've played a card, it's no longer in your hand , so you can't discard it.

Some specific effects get you to discard cards from your deck, but I'm not aware of anything that would get you to discard a card you've already played as it would pretty much achieve nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murrell Sippy
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, if Zero does ANYTHING, his card makes it obvious discarding is only done from your hand. Otherwise he is completely a non-factor unless pulled when the game is about to be wrapped up anyway.

This is one of those instances where you can’t let cry baby players bend the rules to their favor every chance possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As has been pointed out, discards come from your hand.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned: discard is different from KO. Not just in where you put them, but the rules give a specific definition for KO and how to apply that. If they were the same thing and followed the same rules, there would be no need for that section in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Scott
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much all.

The key thing for me is that discards are from your 'hand' (unless maybe specified otherwise I suppose) which is how I always played it and you have all now confirmed.

I should have trusted my instincts here but an argument, and then that post I mentioned that contradicted what I thought and no-one had corrected it yet three people thumbed up the comment, threw me.

Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume you are referring to my reply

costguy wrote:
If it says from your hand it is from your hand.
If it says one of your cards it can be from the cards you have played.
If it says from your hand or discard pile it is from your hand or discard pile but not from any cards played.

Also any cards discarded from your cards played still provide their fight/recruit points.

To clarify things that cause you to discard a card usually are from your hand. Unless the text says otherwise it is from your hand and nothing else.

This was clarified:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/12735227#12735227

and is addressed in the FAQ on BGG.

As was pointed out on the linked thread
I have posted a further clarification in that thread.

edit to add:
The key in legendary is to do exactly what the card says and to keep the definitions clean, your hand is different from your heroes etc. both are defined in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Low
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi gang,
Tomer and others are right, and this is well-stated:

GrandMasterFox wrote:
Cards that you play are no longer in your hand.

So if something said to discard a card, it has to come in your hand.

If a card says KO a card in your hand, then it's only a card that is in your hand and you couldn't have played it.

If a card says KO one of your cards, then it can be a card that you played.

See the difference:

Radiation Scientist (4 copies)
When you rescue this Bystander, you may KO one of your Heroes or a Hero from your discard pile.
VP: 1

Heartless Computer Scientist
Tech
When you rescue this Bystander,
gain it as a Hero.
------------
Tech: You may KO a card from your hand or discard pile.
2 Recruit
Cost: 3

Devin Low meeple
Designer, Legendary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.