Heroes of Land, Air & Sea» Forums » General

Subject: Allllllmost fit it in one box... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tev Kaber
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My goal was to fit the Core Game, Order & Chaos, and expansions all in the core box. I got close, but no cigar.

I made foam-core trays for the minis for each faction.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tevk/40838562092/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tevk/26007965007/

Then put the clear cover from the mini tray on top of that,
then the manuals and player boards, then all the buildings and vehicles,
then the tokens.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tevk/27009938408/

Then I ran out of room.
Didn't quite make it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tevk/27009911648/

Things that didn't fit:
- cards
- air stands
- expansions (siege, mercenaries 1&2, nomads)
- map (I have the neoprene mat, which won't fit in the box anyway)

So, back to the drawing board a bit...

I might user a smaller box for the things that didn't fit, or I may end up using both boxes after all, and building foam-core trays for each faction's buildings and vehicles, to better organize and assist setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
What about leaving the cover a bit elevated? (Not closing completely) that might help to keep it to 1 box...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tev Kaber
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
M0ebius wrote:
What about leaving the cover a bit elevated? (Not closing completely) that might help to keep it to 1 box...

Could probably get everything in one box that way, but I'm not crazy about having all the buildings and vehicles in a layer on top, means I have to take them all out to play and carefully arrange them to put it away every time... trays or something would make setup/cleanup much nicer. Of course, that will mean using both boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mebua95 mebua95

Alabama
msg tools
I put constructs in one box (in separate bags too) so I wouldn't have to move them every time I play. Plus I wanted to better protect them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Smith
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking each faction could get it's own long box about 5.5 cm x 16.5 cm x 10 cm. Exclude air and sea vehicles and store Heroes within the towers for easy identification.

And the city levels nest like this:

This would leave 11cm along the length of one side (33cm) for Air and Sea vehicles, nomads, mercenaries, siege, cards, and tokens; and it would leave 2.5 cm for board and instructions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Bruce
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Did you try this yet?

Also, you may be able to save some space by storing 1 mini in each tower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Smith
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KBSquiggle wrote:
Did you try this yet?

Also, you may be able to save some space by storing 1 mini in each tower.

Not sure who you are asking, but if me then:

I ordered some chipboard to construct the boxes as I think foam core might take too much space. I haven't constructed the boxes yet, though.

I was storinng 1 hero mini in each of the towers. Works great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Hobby
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Hmm so this might work. I'm going to give it a try, thanks for the measurements and planning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1276033. chadiushobby
  • 1d100 =
  • (21) =
  • Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:59 pm
Greg Smith
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First attempt.

I am HORRIBLE at crafting. Will modify a few things:

Width of 50mm, Height of 95mm, keep 165mm length. Cut with knife, not rotary, glue with Aleen's quick dry not elmers stick glue. Use backside of butter knife for folds instead of half-cut on opposite side of fold. I'm using 2mm chipboard here, could easily use 1mm or 1.5mm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Smith
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Second one is much better (foreground).

Need to check thickness of all boards before continuing, but this box design is much better. There is slight tearing on the outside of the folds, but not sure if I'll change anything. This box is a little wider at the top due to assembly mistake.

Here are in progress shots. First is cut and scored.

And with a thin strip of glue (much less than version 1, and easier to handle).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Smith
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Version 2 box was too tall, needed 12 more mm for faction boards. Height of faction boxes is now 83mm. Boards are measured at 35 mm, and this v3 box leaves 40mm. Also, box width is now 50mm; can't go
Narrower because of city levels' width.

Picture shows v1, v2, and v3 left to right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Smith
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Final design leaves 12mm for land and sea vehicles, cards, mercenaries and nomads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Smith
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only thing missing 2 vehicles, all seige weapons. The the air/sea vehicles are a little disorganized. Trying to figure out how to make this better:

With boards on top:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Smith
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test fit into one box with unassembled Siege Wngines. Placing the faxti N boards first gives a little bit more vertical room for Air and Sea vehicles. here are the different layers for a test fit:

And peeling back the layers on he left:

Bottom layer of vehicles:

Because my chipboard is only 12", I'll try foamcore for the full width vehicle lid and card/nomad carrier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Smith
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And siege engines in line with the faction boards (with the two catapults in with land/sea vehicles under the foamcore. I'll make some tuck boxes or foamcore insert for the cards and this is almost done.

All in one box!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Smith
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MSGreg wrote:
Final design leaves 12mm for land and sea vehicles, cards, mercenaries and nomads.

This is a parameterized FreeCAD file that can be easily modified for any dimension chipboard box. No lid and one stripe of glue. Only modification "by eye" is the offset folding score on the bottom-to-short-side tab offset by the material thickness so the glued sides don't over stretch. Let me know if you want the FreeCAD file for your own use. I also, in the final design, did not cut the tabs short. They are the same length as the sides and simply fold "under" towards the inside of the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Stewart

Florida
msg tools
Did you finish the parameterized FreeCAD file? I have a 3D printer and would love to print this out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Smith
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The file represents a flat chipboard that you can fold and glue. Not suitable for 3D printing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Stewart

Florida
msg tools
Yes, but I can extrapolate the 3D dimensions from a 2D sketch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Smith
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jastewart5440 wrote:
Yes, but I can extrapolate the 3D dimensions from a 2D sketch.

I tried to upload FreeCAD file but tit was denied. Are you able to read the dimensions from the image I posted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molina
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MSGreg wrote:
tit was denied.

Hate when this happens!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.