Subject: Hunt the Witch Cult - Some questions about mission rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Þráinn Gunnlaugur Þorsteinsson
Iceland
Hafnarfjörður
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just finished my session of playing the Hunt the Witch Cult mission which ended with the unfortunate demise of the Void Witch and the Hinterlander during a rather nasty interruption of the Trial at Witch Hill. I wasn't sure I played everything correctly so here goes:

-Was it enough for me to take a Heretic/Witch captive that I defeated in a battle on any space on my way through the Lowlands or only those I encountered in a battle while at a Clue token space? Also, do you get XP/Gold immediatly after the fight for capturing them or only if a monster is executed to make room for a higher XP captive?

-When it came to the trial, I had previously flipped the clue token at the Catacombs due to a danger card. I therefore flipped the 3 other tokens (they were 4 in all because of a 2 adventurer game) and increased their danger level. One of which was my base, The Fishmonger Camp, which had Town level of 4 and Clue token numbered 3.
Should I decrease it to 3 in danger level? It felt horrible to see my base fall suddenly into chaos due to cult activity but it fit thematically so I went with it.

-Also, under the trial segment: "Next, roll a d6 on the table below to determine the cult's reaction. Roll an additional D6 for each Clue counter remaining on the board...." Would that be 1 D6 + 3 D6 for the three Clue tokens that were flipped during the start of the Trial?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Radey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
thrainn wrote:

-Was it enough for me to take a Heretic/Witch captive that I defeated in a battle on any space on my way through the Lowlands or only those I encountered in a battle while at a Clue token space? Also, do you get XP/Gold immediatly after the fight for capturing them or only if a monster is executed to make room for a higher XP captive?

you get the rewards & loot when you first defeat them in the fight as normal.

Quote:
-When it came to the trial, I had previously flipped the clue token at the Catacombs due to a danger card. I therefore flipped the 3 other tokens (they were 4 in all because of a 2 adventurer game) and increased their danger level. One of which was my base, The Fishmonger Camp, which had Town level of 4 and Clue token numbered 3.
Should I decrease it to 3 in danger level? It felt horrible to see my base fall suddenly into chaos due to cult activity but it fit thematically so I went with it.

yeah the fishmonger camp would be reduced from town level 4 to danger level 3, but this doesn't remove the base counter.

Quote:
-Also, under the trial segment: "Next, roll a d6 on the table below to determine the cult's reaction. Roll an additional D6 for each Clue counter remaining on the board...." Would that be 1 D6 + 3 D6 for the three Clue tokens that were flipped during the start of the Trial?

yeah, four dice total & use the lowest of all four (you left a lot of cultists out there)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iceland
Hafnarfjörður
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey Eric and thanks for taking the time to respond.

You cleared some things up for me but just to make sure.

Regarding my first question, was it correct to "capture" Heretic/Witch anywhere in the Lowlands OR should I only capture Heretics/Witches encountered on Clue token spaces? I was a bit confused by the following quote.

Quote:
(you left a lot of cultists out there)

Since a Clue counter is flipped when its danger card is drawn should I have instead wandered around the the Lowlands hoping for those particular danger cards to pop up or was there any other way for me to decrease the amount of dice rolled to determine the Witch cult response?

I basically went almost straight from Fishmonger camp to Witch Hill through the Fields and then East Bridge since I captured some Heretics/Witches almost immediately on the road between the Fishmonger Camp and Graveyard and saw no indication that I specifically had to stop at the Clue token spaces.

2nd question, So my base goes from Town level 4 immediately down to Danger level 3 because I revealed Clue token number 3 there when I drew a danger card with Fismonger Camp named. Would the base now be useless to the party unless I increased the town level/(decreased the danger level) by investing to make it safe again for Trading?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Radey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
OK having re-read the mission I can see where the problem is coming from; a crucial line was removed from the page during pre-press editing that I will have to include in the erratta.

They Gather In Secret:
When you successfully Explore a space with a facedown Clue counter, you may choose to fight monsters this turn regardless of the value of your Danger card. When you destroy a heretic or witch in a space with a clue counter, remove that clue from the board.

this means that if you visit the Fishmonger Camp before its danger level goes up & capture heretics there, you can prevent the town from getting flipped to a 3 danger.

sorry for the confusion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iceland
Hafnarfjörður
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh I see! I'll definitely have another go at that scenario asap. I'm having massive fun with this boardgame. both when playing solo and with a group, its one of my favs! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.