8 Posts

Fog of Love» Forums » General

Subject: Teaching the game without the tutorial rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I learned to play FoL using the tutorial, then played SMD again the same night as a proper game, and all was well. All told, both run-throughs took about 4 hrs in total.

I have a first date tomorrow, and we're going to play FoL in a local boardgame bar. I don't think we'll be playing for 4 hours, so I plan to teach it without the tutorial then play SMD.

Has anyone taught the game to a new player without using the tutorial? If so, any advice would be appreciated.

The person in question is a gamer.

Eco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My partner taught it to me without the tutorial. I mean, it's not a difficult game mechanically, so I don't see why you'd have any issues.

My partner explained how turns worked up front, but I also think you could do character creation first, then draw starting hands, and then explain how to actually play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers

Considering its a first date, it’s a pity we weren’t playing today as it’s a Sunday 😂

I think I’ll have to be very clear that we’re RPing the characters, not us lol.

Eco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it without the tutorial fornthe first time. We didn't have any problems, it is not a super advanced game, and for me, such tutorials break the flow of the game by breaking up the game with little 'reading rules sessions'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
I played it without the tutorial fornthe first time. We didn't have any problems, it is not a super advanced game, and for me, such tutorials break the flow of the game by breaking up the game with little 'reading rules sessions'.

I thought the tutorial was excellent at teaching the game, but we also had time to play it again normally. I’m not sure we’ll have time tonight to poay the tutorial AND another game of it, hence my question about teaching the game to someone after playing it already rather than going through the tutorial again. But thank you for your view on a different way to play.

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Headman
United States
Lancaster
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, I haven't taught it yet, since my GF and I play it two player by ourselves and started with the tutorial, but since Shut Up and Sit Down's review suggesting it can unofficially be a good 3 or 4 player game (with two players watching, though I think it could be even cooler to let the two extra players role-play as the best-friends of the couple, each advising one player) I've been thinking about bringing it to a game night and teaching it to two new players.

I won't use the tutorial, but I will follow the tutorial structure in which explanation is spread out a bit rather than front-loaded.

I'd first explain the basic idea: This is a strategy/light role-playing game, in which you simulate a relationship or romantic comedy. Like many relationships, it is semi-co-op: Each player wins and loses independently, and the possible outcomes are both win, one wins and one loses, or neither win.

Then I'd let them pick characters, advising them to pick different colors for each trait, and choose features for their partner that help with any "shared" trait goals, and do the introduction phase - have each introduce their character as if on a first date etc.

And then, I'd show them the destinies they are shooting for, have them draw cards, and explain how playing cards works (explaining minor scenes as and when they draw them, though that wouldn't work if you are one of the players!), explain traits and happiness, and so on then leave them to it.

It really isn't that complex a game. The tutorial was definitely much nicer than reading a rule book, but not really necessary at all, and a poor substitute for someone who can teach well.

Also, for a game night with my group of friends who are gamers, I really don't feel the need to start on "Sunday Morning Date" or even "High School Sweethearts". "We Give It a Year" is when you actually get the full game, and I'd start them there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nimonus wrote:

Also, for a game night with my group of friends who are gamers, I really don't feel the need to start on "Sunday Morning Date" or even "High School Sweethearts". "We Give It a Year" is when you actually get the full game, and I'd start them there.

And then go...where? Lol aren’t you just reducing the amount of game/fun you get by ignoring the first two Love Stories? SMD and HSS aren’t the same game as WGIAY except on Easy Mode, after all. They’re different Love Stories.

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Headman
United States
Lancaster
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ecosmith wrote:
nimonus wrote:

And then go...where? Lol aren’t you just reducing the amount of game/fun you get by ignoring the first two Love Stories? SMD and HSS aren’t the same game as WGIAY except on Easy Mode, after all. They’re different Love Stories.

Eco

I think it is both. They are different love-stories with a different arc, that is definitely true. But they are also only a partial version of the game, which makes it almost fully co-op, without the delicious ambiguity of the semi-co-op structure you get starting with WGIAY. With my gamer friends, I know that the full game would be way more appealing and interesting - both in terms of depth of strategy and in terms of the complexity of stories you tell. There is enough variety with playing radically different characters that sticking to 1 or 2 love stories isn't a great limitation, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.