Jared Paton
Canada
St. Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, my wife and I decided to move these shelves of games from our small office:

to this wall in our slightly larger living room:

*we have been planning this move for a while, so we picked up some paint samples and took off the baseboard. We ended up not going with a dark paint, and this was the right choice.

The shelves are made of 3/4" pine ply, sanded on one side. Not the best wood to work with, but it was cheap, and takes paint pretty well. Here is
the initial set of three carcasses made and put into position:

*the carcasses are held together with pocket screws. I glued one side of one shelf, but determined the pocket screws alone would be strong enough. Great little inventions, pocket screws.

And painted:

The shelves are painted our trim colour, I think Romantic White? Everything was painted at least twice, with a light sand after the first coat. That pine ply really likes to get hairy after a first coat of finish.

Here's a close up of the sleeves we used for the adjustable shelves. We went with sleeves instead of just pins, because our collection is constantly in flux. If we're always moving games on and off of the shelves, pins straight into the wood would wear over time, and be loose. Sleeves should prevent that. There are over 540 sleeves over three units, so that's 540 holes drilled (my shelf pin jig only had a 5mm bit, so I also had to redrill each hole to 7.5mm, so that's 1080 drilled holes), and 540 pin sleeves installed. Each sleeve took at least 4 hammer swings to seat properly, so these stupid pin sleeves better be worth it.

Then it's installation. I used an oscillating saw to cut the left hand side baseboard to 14 1/8" from the wall (the units are 14" deep), and installed each until from left to right. Everything needed to be shimmed from the floor, I think the until furthest to the right is about 3/8" off the ground. The left hand wall is level, the floor is not.

It's at this point my wife said "well, that looks silly, what about above the door?" Ok, there's lots of scraps.

And painted:

At some point, I remembered to touch up the wall paint behind the shelves, before attaching them to the wall.

Now is the part I forgot to document. The adjustable shelves were all cut, painted, the front edges banded, and the top surface coated in slippery shelf liner. The shelf liner is important, because otherwise the game boxes would stick to the fresh paint. This way, we were able to move ahead with the project and not wait two months for the paint to fully cure. This process was annoying, but fairly smooth with two people.

So, before putting on the trim, I wanted to make sure everything we had would fit:

Yay! With room to spare! Now to make up a boardgamebliss order.

Then the tedious process of facing the plywood and adding the bottom trim:

Sanding and final painting, and we're just about done:

Oh yeah, and the gap at the top? We decided to put in a strip of LEDs, with a remote. Just white, we didn't want the disco colours some strips offer.

Picture isn't great, but it's enough ambient light for the whole room at night.

Now in the office, I've got a wraparound desk planned with upper and lower cabinets, but that's a project for another day.

Total time, 3 days of work over the span of a week.
Total cost, (in CDN) $350 in plywood, pine for trim, and edge banding, $45 for shelf pins and sleeves, $50 for paint, and $20 for the LEDs.
$465 CDN total.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great! Nice work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done! I love the shelf over the door. I had done something similar in our old house:

Our "new" house didn't present as much of a challenge. Some space in the finished basement was carved out as a gaming space:

Before:

After:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Plumer
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Looks cool! I'm planning on doing something similar, but on a larger scale, in my family room and I've been looking for ideas. So far, yours seems to be closest to what I can do.

Are the carcasses just put together with butt joints?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Butler
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Looks so good! My collection of games is maybe 1/10th of what you have, but hopefully with time I can reach the point that some shelves like yours will be needed. I agree with your wife that the shelf above the door was necessary. Good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sereni
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks very well done! What a nice upgrade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cordes
United States
Malone
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

We've been looking at our blank wall on the far side of the living room and waiting for just this inspiration.
I think I've found my summer project.
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Gillespie
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The shelf above the door completes the look! Very nice all over!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Paton
Canada
St. Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LennyS wrote:
Well done! I love the shelf over the door. I had done something similar in our old house:

Nice basement! Ours is mostly given over to my workshop, so that was a no-go for game storage.

twosheds1 wrote:
Looks cool! I'm planning on doing something similar, but on a larger scale, in my family room and I've been looking for ideas. So far, yours seems to be closest to what I can do.

Are the carcasses just put together with butt joints?

Butt joints and pocket screws. I didn't even use glue for most of it, that's how confident I am in the pocket screws. I basically made the simplest sort of shelves that once can. I was in a bit of a time crunch, so simple it was. Also, my crown molding in that room is made of plaster, so there was no chance I was going to try and make proper built ins, because I'd never be able to replicate the crown.

Thanks everyone for the kind words, didn't expect to be in the Geek Weekly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orcanthropy
United States
Edina
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, now be honest. How hard would this be for a person who has little to no woodcrafting experience? You've got me very intrigued but I'm terrified of screwing up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jayrome007 wrote:
Ok, now be honest. How hard would this be for a person who has little to no woodcrafting experience? You've got me very intrigued but I'm terrified of screwing up.

There are things you can do to screw it up, most notably cut boards too short. but the nice thing about working with wood, everything is fixable. Either buy more wood or add segments or more screws. Plan it out, double check your measurements, follow proper safety precautions and it’ll work out. May not look as nice as if professional did it though.
Also don’t assume walls or doors are vertical, use a level to check. Windows and floors may not be horizontal either. Houses move & settle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Paton
Canada
St. Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All my sheets of plywood were cut to width at Home Depot on their panel saw. All five sheets were ripped to 14", so that took care of a lot of the work, as well as made the wood easily transportable. The shelves I crosscut at home on my miter saw, but that could just as easily have been done with a circular saw or jigsaw with a wood fence. Really, as long as you're consistent with your cuts, there is nothing on this project that couldn't have been done with a saw of some sort and a drill. Everything else is just sanding and painting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.