Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, unmarked spoilers ahead. You've been warned!

So, in case you haven't looked at all the cards for this set, it's sort of two alternate versions of the same scenario. You're either trying to chase down the organist and fight him off, or escape from the organist while trying to survive three nights. The latter variant turns the game on its head, with the objective of the game being doom tokens, and doom tokens on non-Agenda cards count against the doom on the agenda instead of adding to it. The Organist also continuously chases after the investigators.

For our game, we had more Conviction than Doubt, so we got the "survive three nights" variant... or at least, we were supposed to. Unfortunately, when I set up the scenario, I noticed there were three act cards, and the guide told me to only use one of the Act 1a cards, but I didn't notice that there were two Act 2a cards, thinking instead that they were an Act 2a and an Act 3a. Similarly, I didn't notice that Act 1b told me to use the other Act 2a card. So instead of the Act card telling us to survive and giving a way to spend clues to get doom... we had an objective to fight the Organist, with his 5 fight skill and 3 horror damage.

Luckily, we had Agnes, Mark, and Minh on our team. Minh did her usual thing of sucking up every clue we could find, while Agnes went into survivor mode and used every trick in the book to misdirect and escape from the Organist (likely to the Benny Hill theme). Somehow, Agnes lucked out, and just about every token she pulled for evading the Organist was a success - even when she was holding on to Lucky almost the entire game, ready to use it when she eventually failed an evasion check.

Mark had a tough time at first, not drawing much for weapons to fight the Organist. His trusty .45 helped with shooting down bhyakee, but with needing to hit the Organist so many times, we decided spending precious ammo on that wasn't the wisest move. Even with Mark's 5 Fight, the Organist was a tough opponent.

Luckily, we were able to hold out. Mark got a few lucky hits in, using clues that Agnes managed to scoop up while Minh was gathering the majority of them. Mark also managed to find some spare ammo for his .45, snagged a machete, and convinced a local beat cop to help chase after the Organist (who was busy trying to chase after Agnes). Eventually, in the middle of the second night, we were able to put the ninth clue on the Organist.

Eagerly, I flipped over the Act card... and was perplexed at it sending me to a resolution when there was a third card still waiting to be revealed. A few glances at other cards later, and I realized where our mistake was. Now, suddenly it made sense why some cards wanted to remove doom from the agenda, and why cards that put doom on locations that seemed to give us more time instead of less made sense.

Discussion with the other players had us decide to continue the campaign despite playing the scenario wrong, largely because we don't get to play very often. After all, if we managed to survive this long by spending clues to beat the Organist instead of just running away all the time, and if we had known that removing the doom added to locations by Twin Spires was part of the objective, we shouldn't have had any problems living for a few turns more. The only extra challenge would have been Jordan Perry showing up after the second night, but considering how well armed Mark was and how low Jordan's combat and evade skills are, I'm pretty sure we could have taken care of him easily enough. Still, we didn't get to list him under VIPs Slain, which hopefully won't end up biting us in the rear later on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
We did the same mistake and it was a very long szenario

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, glad I'm not the only one. How did your mixed-up playthrough go?

And yes, this was a very long scenario for us as well. I think we had 10 doom on the agenda before it advanced the first time, and that was with a few encounter cards removing doom on us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.