Subject: News on new "Hogwarts Battle" game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/39903/harry-potter-coden...

This new icv2 article describes several upcoming Wizarding World board games from Usaopoly (revealed at 2018 GAMA trade show), one of which seems to be a Hogwarts Battle spin-off, called "Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle: Dueling Club".

Blurb is brief, supposed to be a competitive 2-player deck-building game with a new board you knock the opponent off of to win. Should be out in Fall 2018. MSRP $29.95.

Doesn't sound like it'll interact with the original game much if at all, which is probably for the best of avoiding further Hogwarts Deck bloat problems. Hopefully they will use a deck-building system that feels more refined and strategic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's competitive, it's a hard pass for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mkrajew wrote:
If it's competitive, it's a hard pass for me.

Exact opposite for me. My wife won't play HPHB because it's cooperative. She hates coop games because she prefers to beat me to a bloody pulp, despite not paying attention at all when I teach her the rules.

We were both quite looking forward to Harry Potter Miniatures Adventure Game, and she even offered to help me paint the minis. And then Knight Models bungled everything possible about it.

So if USAopoly offers a simple two-player PVP deckbuilder... That is pretty much as close to a wife-approved insta-buy as I can have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
swirlsaepi wrote:
We were both quite looking forward to Harry Potter Miniatures Adventure Game, and she even offered to help me paint the minis. And then Knight Models bungled everything possible about it.

We were excited about it, but we haven't followed it. What did they bungle?

(Apologies to all for getting off topic. Perhaps GeekMail me about it?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Paquette
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
elbmc1969 wrote:
swirlsaepi wrote:

We were excited about it, but we haven't followed it. What did they bungle?

(Apologies to all for getting off topic. Perhaps GeekMail me about it?)

I've seen a few complaints:
1. The game is a skirmish dungeon crawler. Not a coop dungeon crawler. Opportunity lost to have iconic HP characters explore and battle fun and exciting enemies.
2. They decided not to use Kickstarter and switch to a pre-order system. I imagine the project visibility dropped through the floor.
3. The game became ridiculously expensive. I believe it was on the order of $300+ for the game plus all available minis.
4. Key characters - namely freaking VOLDEMORT - are locked as pre-order exclusives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pascal_ wrote:
3. The game became ridiculously expensive. I believe it was on the order of $300+ for the game plus all available minis.

The funny thing is that, if they'd released it in waves--one for each book--the total price could have been far more, but but people would have noticed less and complained vastly less.

Believe me, I'm into Star Wars: Armada, and the main problem is people panting, "When are the next expansions?!?! When are the next expansions?!?!"

Interesting opportunity to release progressively older versions of the kids, as well. Look, Ma! More sales!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Rhee Wong
Singapore
flag msg tools
I've been toying with the idea of a duel. You play with just the hogwarts cards and character/proficiency cards. Deck building as per normal, but you assign damage to your opponents character, reducing health according to the damage earned. When it comes to cards dealing with influence tokens, it reduces your opponents hit points instead or clears marks on your own hit points. First to stun the other, wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john walter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
i never thought of a variant like that. that cool be real cool. its got me thinking of coming up with some rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Harris
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elbmc1969 wrote:
Pascal_ wrote:

The funny thing is that, if they'd released it in waves--one for each book--the total price could have been far more, but but people would have noticed less and complained vastly less.

Believe me, I'm into Star Wars: Armada, and the main problem is people panting, "When are the next expansions?!?! When are the next expansions?!?!"

Interesting opportunity to release progressively older versions of the kids, as well. Look, Ma! More sales!

For that ridiculous price, you could get Shadows of Brimstone and probably everything that the game has put out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.