United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fear The Fin
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello All -

I was just conducting an inventory of my collection, and I have two copies of VITP. Both are the 1977 edition, and I can find no difference in the components EXCEPT that one has a plain blue box bottom and the other has a full color bottom with pictures of the map, components, text, etc. There is no separate entry on BGG for this, which leads me to believe that one of these has a cannibalized box bottom from another game. Presumably, that's the plain blue one.

Does anybody have knowledge of how these were produced? I will probably be selling one of these, and want to properly account for the box in the description.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim and Ekaya - Sotho Blue
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SJAirshark wrote:
Hello All -

I was just conducting an inventory of my collection, and I have two copies of VITP. Both are the 1977 edition, and I can find no difference in the components EXCEPT that one has a plain blue box bottom and the other has a full color bottom with pictures of the map, components, text, etc. There is no separate entry on BGG for this, which leads me to believe that one of these has a cannibalized box bottom from another game. Presumably, that's the plain blue one.

Does anybody have knowledge of how these were produced? I will probably be selling one of these, and want to properly account for the box in the description.

Avalon Hill was a publisher, and they took advantage of that to print different components on an "as needed" basis (they sold all their components individually as well as combined in complete games). There's no way to track all the printings. When they made actual changes, they'd publish it as a 2nd edition (or 3rd or whatever).

People do pay attention to some of the major variations, such as early bookcase games that had cardboard sleeves and later ones that didn't. But color of the box bottom? I wouldn't worry about it one way or the other. (Although if given the choice I'd take the blue - that's the standard I recall in that era.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother, Kevin Duke, has personal experience and observations
And would be of value for this discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also own two copies of the game, one with a picture bottom and one with a blue bottom. The one I bought as a teen in the 70’s had a blue bottom. The other I puchased on E-Bay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.