Hide
10 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Rules

Subject: Playing as Will and attacking a foreign colony rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Segs
msg tools
Sorry if this has been asked before, I've been hunting for a while and can't find an answer. If let's say YELLOW is playing as Will and they choose to attack BLUE on a RED planet, who is defending? Is BLUE defending their foreign colony or is RED defending because it's their planet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
If RED is defending, then how is that different from choosing to attack RED on Red's planet? How else would BLUE even be involved? If you choose to attack BLUE, then you're attacking BLUE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
AlexSegs wrote:
Sorry if this has been asked before, I've been hunting for a while and can't find an answer. If let's say YELLOW is playing as Will and they choose to attack BLUE on a RED planet, who is defending? Is BLUE defending their foreign colony or is RED defending because it's their planet?

The defence is the player colour you choose to have an encounter with, just the same as if you drew their card from the destiny deck.

Though RE: your example, there are very few reasons why you would want to do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Segs
msg tools
Okay thank you, that clears it up! The reason YELLOW did this was because it was the weakest of BLUE's foreign colonies and they were one colony away from winning.

Regarding the other reply, the reason we were confused is that this is one of the rare ways, it seems, to attack a foreign colony. Also, in our case, RED had no ships on that particular planet. So if YELLOW did choose to attack RED on that planet, RED would be defending with nothing and to my knowledge, other than with certain alien powers like Will, I believe it's always the home planet that is defending even with no ships. That's why we played as if RED was defending. It did seem odd the way we did it however so I'm glad we were wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
AlexSegs wrote:
Okay thank you, that clears it up! The reason YELLOW did this was because it was the weakest of BLUE's foreign colonies and they were one colony away from winning.

Yeah, that's one of the few reasons.

I'm guessing that blue had no presence in yellow's system? Cos obviously, that would have been a more optimal move on yellow's part - otherwise not only are they forfeiting a chance of gaining a colony on their turn, they aren't even protecting their power, and are in fact, helping protect an opponents power.

Which kinda makes it a toilet move. Even in the situation you describe, I doubt I would 'take one for the team' to hit blue instead of furthering my own interests; can always block blue out all-v-1 on his turn, rather than throw my own game away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Segs
msg tools
Yeah blue was not in yellow's system (6 player game). It didn't seem to be the best move but it was our first time playing and there was also some revenge involved haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inky Bloc
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryucoo wrote:
I'm guessing that blue had no presence in yellow's system? Cos obviously, that would have been a more optimal move on yellow's part - otherwise not only are they forfeiting a chance of gaining a colony on their turn, they aren't even protecting their power, and are in fact, helping protect an opponents power.

Unless I missed where they said YELLOW already had a colony on RED's planet, I don't think this move is as bad as you're making it out to be. If you want to take out one of BLUE's colonies, you could target their weakest in a third player's system (as done here) and then not only are you knocking them down a peg, you're gaining a foreign colony for yourself, as opposed to just retaking a home colony.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Segs
msg tools
Yeah the planet that YELLOW was attacking only had BLUE on it (plus another unrelated color, GREEN I think). It did seem like a decent move, YELLOW actually ended up winning (shared victory with an unrelated color to all this backdrop). But again, it was everyone's first time playing so we're still figuring out strategies and what not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
inkybloc wrote:
Ryucoo wrote:

Unless I missed where they said YELLOW already had a colony on RED's planet, I don't think this move is as bad as you're making it out to be. If you want to take out one of BLUE's colonies, you could target their weakest in a third player's system (as done here) and then not only are you knocking them down a peg, you're gaining a foreign colony for yourself, as opposed to just retaking a home colony.

Doh, oh yeah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah Will can simultaneously deprive another alien of a foreign colony AND gain one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.