Hide
10 Posts

The 7th Continent» Forums » Rules

Subject: A few questions about specific rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zac P
msg tools
Hi guys. I recently got my copy of the base game in Australia last week. I took a look at the rules and have a few questions.

1. When it says that at the start that each player gets a campfire token, when can a player place this token? At any time during the game, or only when they have a fire making kit?

2. When a character moves from one terrain to another terrain through multiple terrains, do they pay the movement cost for each terrain they pass through? If they go to a fellow character's/campfire's terrain, does the -1 cost apply to each tile they pass through, or only to the tile with the character/campfire?

3. When characters decide to look at a random event (foggy card) and that card gets replaced by a terrain card, do the characters involved automatically move to the terrain card? Or do they remain on their current terrain?

4. I've started playing a game and I already have experience points. Am i supposed to know what to do with these, or will the game let me know when i can spend them?

5. When a state card is drawn that has the mark with the red X on it that indicates cards must be discarded, do you include said drawn card in the state count? E.g. I have paranoid and my character card and I draw another state card that says I must discard. Do i discard 2 or 3 action cards? Also what happens if I get the same state card twice?

Thanks guys for your help A brief answer for these would be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
1- You place a fire token if you succeed at a Make Fire action (shown on various fire making inventory items)

2- When you move from your terrain tile you ONLY PAY the cost shown on your CURRENT TILE - regardless of how far you are traveling. Any adjustments to the check are made to that one cost.

3- When you replace fog with terrain you do not automatically move to the new terrain - all you've done is discover the way there.

4- The game will tell you when you can spend XP. If you want to know specifically when you will be able to do so, see below:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Look for opportunities on the island to take a rest

5- When a newly acquired state card shows the discard symbol you discard cards equal to the number of red hands you had PRIOR to drawing that card. If you draw a state you already have, check for and resolve the discard symbol first, then return your previous copy of the state card and keep the new one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Catlord337 wrote:
1. When it says that at the start that each player gets a campfire token, when can a player place this token? At any time during the game, or only when they have a fire making kit?

Only with effects that allow you to place it, like the fire making kit.

Quote:
2. When a character moves from one terrain to another terrain through multiple terrains, do they pay the movement cost for each terrain they pass through? If they go to a fellow character's/campfire's terrain, does the -1 cost apply to each tile they pass through, or only to the tile with the character/campfire?

No. The character/s taking the action are performing the action on the terrain tile they are on. The success consequence is the 4-way arrow, meaning you can move to any tile connected to the current one only by other terrain tiles. You do not need to worry about anything on the intervening terrain tiles.

The -1 is a single effect that you activate to aid the movement action. Note that every involved character can use their copy of the ability, so you can get a -1 per character that is moving as a group.

Quote:
3. When characters decide to look at a random event (foggy card) and that card gets replaced by a terrain card, do the characters involved automatically move to the terrain card? Or do they remain on their current terrain?

Unless the consequence of the new terrain card forces them to move, they stay put.

Remember, you are always simply taking actions and resolving consequences in this game. That's everything you do. If you think of things that way, it will be clear why you don't automatically move to places and so on.

Quote:
4. I've started playing a game and I already have experience points. Am i supposed to know what to do with these, or will the game let me know when i can spend them?

The game will let you know when you can spend them. There is a card you are allowed to look at that could help you figure out how to use it. If you want to know that information, then check:

Lovecraft's character cards

Quote:
5. When a state card is drawn that has the mark with the red X on it that indicates cards must be discarded, do you include said drawn card in the state count? E.g. I have paranoid and my character card and I draw another state card that says I must discard. Do i discard 2 or 3 action cards? Also what happens if I get the same state card twice?

The rules for State cards cover this.

You draw the card, but it is not yet in your hand. You count all the cards with the red hand icon in your hand, including your character card, and discard the appropriate number of cards. You then add the drawn card to your hand. If that State card was already in your hand, you also discard the older one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Moyle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Catlord337 wrote:
Hi guys. I recently got my copy of the base game in Australia last week. I took a look at the rules and have a few questions.

Thanks guys for your help A brief answer for these would be great.

1. You can place a fire token when you have a fire item card to build it and pay the costs involved, play more and it will come...

2. You only need to pay the cost for the last terrain card that you move to. The terrain cards in between are free.

3. When you finalize the fog card you replace it with the new terrain card and you have to pay the movement cost to move your figures on to it.

4. It will come as you play and will give you a chance to use them later

5. The new state card that is drawn is included with the count. If you draw the same state you do the discard action if indicated then place it back in the box, you don’t keep doubles of State cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martellmoyle wrote:
2. You only need to pay the cost for the last terrain card that you move to. The terrain cards in between are free.

This is incorrect. You pay the cost of the action you are taking, which is on your current terrain card. The destination card only matters if you are using the character card's ability to reduce the cost.

Quote:
3. When you finalize the fog card you replace it with the new terrain card and you have to pay the movement cost to move your figures on to it.

This makes it sound like you must move, which would not be correct.

Quote:
5. The new state card that is drawn is included with the count. If you draw the same state you do the discard action if indicated then place it back in the box, you don’t keep doubles of State cards.

You do NOT include the new card. You do include your character card, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tess Lynx
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
1. Fire - You place it on your current terrain when you have successfully done the "make fire" action from a fire making kit. You must have the kit built in your inventory.

2. Movement Cost - You only "pay" or perform the movement action shown on your current card (where your figure is standing) to move to any connected, revealed terrain card. Note that all characters have a bonus to this action on their character cards to walk/run to campfires. There are other things that can help this check as well.

A note on "any connected, revealed" terrain card:
There are some cards that require a check to pass. Think of skinny bridges spanning ravines etc etc, or cliffs that need to be climbed up, or oceans that need to be crossed.

You have to perform a check to cross these. You cannot cross these automatically through a regular movement. Instead you must move to the card it is attached to, make the action to cross it (balance, strength, swimming, etc etc), then you can move again on the other side. These are pretty obvious but I felt it needed to be said.

3. Reveal -
No, you stay where you are. If you wish to move to it, you must perform the movement action shown on your current terrain card.

4. XP - The game will let you know when and how to use these.

5. State Discarding - You do not include the just drawn card in the count. So 2.

General pointer on actions.

You can perform any action that:
- is on your current terrain card (movement, look/spot, investigate etc etc)
- is on an attached event/permanent event/exploration card (ie reveal the foggy exploration card or checks on foggys)
- is provided as an action on a card in your inventory (ie make a fire)
- is provided as an action on a card in your hand (ie remember cards)
In general, remember that actions you can do are white. Things that help with an action are brown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Little_Lynx wrote:
A note on "any connected, revealed" terrain card:
There are some cards that require a check to pass. Think of skinny bridges spanning ravines etc etc, or cliffs that need to be climbed up, or oceans that need to be crossed.

You have to perform a check to cross these. You cannot cross these automatically through a regular movement. Instead you must move to the card it is attached to, make the action to cross it (balance, strength, swimming, etc etc), then you can move again on the other side. These are pretty obvious but I felt it needed to be said.

Just a note on that note...

The type of card mentioned in the spoiler section is not a terrain card, which is why you cannot traverse it with the typical move action. Not every card that you reveal on the map will be terrain, some of them will be Permanent Events, recognisable by the fact that they attach to the terrain via the big golden arrows rather than continuing the picture of the landmass you are exploring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zac P
msg tools
Ok great, thanks. This helps a lot.
I have just a couple more questions about these things.

-Can each player only have one campfire in place at a time? Does the campfire go out when the terrain card is removed/game is saved? If I am playing by myself, and the cost to move on that tile is 2+(0*), and I am moving to a tile with a campfire, does the cost become 1+(0*) instead?

-If an item card is part of a combination with say 3 other items, and I discard one because it tells me too (bolas, horn shell, fire kit etc) does the entire stack get discarded as well? If I have the option to discard an item/hand card with a keyword, and I choose an item card in a stack, do all cards in the combination get discarded? Or just the one in question?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Catlord337 wrote:
Ok great, thanks. This helps a lot.
I have just a couple more questions about these things.

-Can each player only have one campfire in place at a time? Does the campfire go out when the terrain card is removed/game is saved? If I am playing by myself, and the cost to move on that tile is 2+(0*), and I am moving to a tile with a campfire, does the cost become 1+(0*) instead?

You can have as many fires as there are characters. Playing solo, you get to use 4 fires if you use a custom character and get a bigger bonus for moving to campfires, but if you use a standard character then yes, you reduce the cost by 1.

Quote:
-If an item card is part of a combination with say 3 other items, and I discard one because it tells me too (bolas, horn shell, fire kit etc) does the entire stack get discarded as well? If I have the option to discard an item/hand card with a keyword, and I choose an item card in a stack, do all cards in the combination get discarded? Or just the one in question?

Effects that tell you to "discard this card" or to "discard a card with keyword X from your inventory" will remove the card without affecting the rest of the item. If the card in question was the top card of the stack, you move the die to the new top card without changing its value.

Note that an instruction to discard an item discards the entire stack, though. The effect in question specifically has to refer to discarding a 'card' from your inventory to be able to deconstruct like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Belcher

South Carolina
msg tools
Thanks for asking these and to all who answered. I came specifically looking for #5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.