Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Card says
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Once during each of your Attack actions, if you use an item, add +1 Attack to the entire attack action.

So, if I use +2 movement shoes while doing the top of Hastened Step,
Attack 2
Move 1
Attack 2

I will not get any bonus from Proficiency, right?
Neither will it work with bottom of Bladed Boomerang.

But it will work if I use a Healing potion, for example.
And it works that if my top action has 2 separate attacks, in order to benefit, I need to use one item for first attack, and one for second.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michele c
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
An action is one half of a card, this should help you understand proficiency

EDIT: I will use the privilege of being the first to answer to give some useful information to whoever reads this.

From the FAQ

Quote:
What do those terms mean?
An action is the top half or bottom half of an ability card (or the full card for monsters), or an item or persistent ability that specifically says it grants an "action". An ability that grants another figure an out-of-turn ability (like move or attack) is not an action unless it says "action".

An attack action is an action that has an attack in it.

Rulebook p 7. The text in the beginning talks about a card being composed of a top action and a bottom action. There is also a picture that explains that
each line is an ability and an action can contain multiple abilities.

In the specific case of the Three Spear Class

What the poster under me says is the correct answer.

Since a whole half of a card is an action, if this action says both move and attack, it is an attack action (and also a move action) and whatever object you use during this action (even those that grant a bonus to the move) counts towards proficiency.

Maybe it is listed on the FAQ? Let me search.. yes, right here, exactly this question:

Quote:
Proficiency (Card 208):
Note that for the top ability, the item used doesn't have to directly affect the attack. Any items that you can use "during your turn" could also apply, and, if the attack action is also a move action (i.e. it has both an attack ability and a move ability), any items that apply to a move action could also work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kornetmuse kornetmuse
France
flag msg tools
Don't know your card but if the top or bottom of the card you are trying to use say

Move x
Attack x

Then if you use an item that grants you +2 move it will also grants you +1 to your attack since you are in the same action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edit: Sorry for my confusion - I definitely got this wrong. Feel free to ignore the rest of this post.

-----

mhl7 wrote:

One half of a card is an "ability". Each separate "attack" listed on a card is an "attack action", and each separate "move" listed on a card is a "move action".

Wibs wrote:
Hi,
Card says
Once during each of your Attack actions, if you use an item, add +1 Attack to the entire attack action.

Attack 2
Move 1
Attack 2

This is correct. Using an item during the move action in the top ability of Hastened Step does not enhance any attack actions.

The purpose of the Proficiency ability is to provide additional damage from the use of weapons and other attack-enhancing items. As the name implies, it represents your character's ability to use these items at their peak efficiency.

Wibs wrote:
And it works that if my top action has 2 separate attacks, in order to benefit, I need to use one item for first attack, and one for second.

Since you can use the Healing Potions at any point on your turn, you can use them during your attack action to gain the +1 attack bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jussi-Pekka Jokinen
Finland
Riihimäki
flag msg tools
At me!
badge
For the Marquise!
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't you mean Three Spears class ability use?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michele c
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
hooliganj wrote:
mhl7 wrote:

One half of a card is an "ability". Each separate "attack" listed on a card is an "attack action", and each separate "move" listed on a card is a "move action". Read> I answer questions without bothering reading the rulebook

Wibs wrote:
Hi,
Card says

Attack 2
Move 1
Attack 2

This is correct. Using an item during the move action in the top ability of Hastened Step does not enhance any attack actions.
Read>More stuff that I made up, because who cares what other people have said, they are wrong and I don't need to check my facts.

The purpose of the Proficiency ability is to provide additional damage from the use of weapons and other attack-enhancing items. As the name implies, it represents your character's ability to use these items at their peak efficiency.
Read>Fluff which has nothing to do with the rules

Wibs wrote:

Since you can use the Healing Potions at any point on your turn, you can use them during your attack action to gain the +1 attack bonus.
^This is actually correct

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mhl7 wrote:
hooliganj wrote:
One half of a card is an "ability". Each separate "attack" listed on a card is an "attack action", and each separate "move" listed on a card is a "move action". Read> I answer questions without bothering reading the rulebook

I clearly had the 2 terms switched in my head. Sorry for giving the wrong answer, but you could be a bit less rude about correcting it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul T.
United Kingdom
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hooliganj wrote:
Sorry for giving the wrong answer, but you could be a bit less rude about correcting it.

Some people can't help but be rude. Don't let them get to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michele c
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
hooliganj wrote:
mhl7 wrote:
hooliganj wrote:

I clearly had the 2 terms switched in my head. Sorry for giving the wrong answer, but you could be a bit less rude about correcting it.

I consider rude calling me out on something correct that I said, without bothering to check.

It is not about the wrong answer, which is fine, is about the arrogance of considering other people comment worthless. *I took it personal* arrrh

If I read something and all the comments contradict my intuition, I verify if my intuition is correct (yes, I did verify if I was the one having the two terms switched before commenting your post).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres K
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this thread went to a bit different direction, than I thought.

Anyway, if for my
Attack
Move
Attack
ability I want to get the bonus for using shoes with +2 movement, it will apply only to the second attack, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wibs wrote:
Wow, this thread went to a bit different direction, than I thought.

Anyway, if for my
Attack
Move
Attack
ability I want to get the bonus for using shoes with +2 movement, it will apply only to the second attack, right?

Correct. Boots of Striding are used "during your movement". You can't use them until you reach the 2nd ability line, so the bonus can't be applied to the first ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
mhl7 wrote:
..., is about the arrogance of considering other people comment worthless...

How do you know Hooligan considers your comment worthless? I see nothing implying that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mhl7 wrote:
I consider rude calling me out on something correct that I said, without bothering to check.

It is not about the wrong answer, which is fine, is about the arrogance of considering other people comment worthless. *I took it personal* arrrh

If I read something and all the comments contradict my intuition, I verify if my intuition is correct (yes, I did verify if I was the one having the two terms switched before commenting your post).

Fair enough. I get into rules disputes with people all the time, here and elsewhere. As you say, it's my mistake for failing to double-check with the rulebook. I did not mean anything personal by it, which is why I did not post anything like a personal criticism.

DeS_Tructive wrote:
How do you know Hooligan considers your comment worthless? I see nothing implying that.

Offense not meant is not the same as offense not taken. I was wrong, and I think we can all let it go at that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michele c
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
hooliganj wrote:

Fair enough. I get into rules disputes with people all the time, here and elsewhere. As you say, it's my mistake for failing to double-check with the rulebook. I did not mean anything personal by it, which is why I did not post anything like a personal criticism.

Sorry for the rudeness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.