Popular Tags: [View All]
Amy P
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked this up from Amazon, and it arrived over the weekend. However, when I opened it, there was no shrink wrap (even around the box), the cards were loose.... and some of them have Chinese characters instead of German/English.

I’m assuming this is a counterfeit, or a customer return? Just wanting to check before I try exchanging it, in case this is somehow normal..

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flutegirl wrote:
I just picked this up from Amazon, and it arrived over the weekend. However, when I opened it, there was no shrink wrap (even around the box), the cards were loose.... and some of them have Chinese characters instead of German/English.

I’m assuming this is a counterfeit, or a customer return? Just wanting to check before I try exchanging it, in case this is somehow normal..

Thanks!

Nothing about your description matches my experience with the game.

I don't know if there was a legit Chinese release that you might have stumbled into - but my reaction would be to definitely report and return/exchange.

Was this from Amazon proper, or a third-party seller?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy P
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oneiric wrote:

Was this from Amazon proper, or a third-party seller?

That's the oddest part of it for me - it was Amazon direct, not third-party.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy P
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went ahead and requested a replacement. Hopefully the second one will come in better condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T W
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Any chance you could upload a picture?
I'm really curious about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy P
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Moore
United Kingdom
Haywards Heath
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Looks like a legit box, maybe a returned item that someone put those Chinese cards back in? Bad stock maintenance anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy P
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, definitely threw me for a loop when I opened it. Hopefully the replacement won't have the same issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How much you paid for it also might be a clue. I have heard of amazon mixing their own stock, so that items coming from counterfeiters are blending with stock from legit vendors, but all getting fulfilled in the end by Amazon to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanno Girke
Germany
Schwabenheim an der Selz
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flutegirl wrote:

Thanks!

From the pictures, the box seems legit.
But everything should have been shrink-wrapped.

For the Chinese cards - if it is half of the cards, then my guess would be that someone at the factory packed one deck of Chinese cards and one deck of normal cards instead.
This happens rarely, and I haven't seen it before with OMG. (But with Glory to Rome, which had strange mixes of card languages.)
Given the fact that the shrink-wrap has been removed, this looks like a customer returned misprint that amazon tried to sell again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy P
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanno wrote:
flutegirl wrote:

Thanks!

From the pictures, the box seems legit.
But everything should have been shrink-wrapped.

For the Chinese cards - if it is half of the cards, then my guess would be that someone at the factory packed one deck of Chinese cards and one deck of normal cards instead.
This happens rarely, and I haven't seen it before with OMG. (But with Glory to Rome, which had strange mixes of card languages.)
Given the fact that the shrink-wrap has been removed, this looks like a customer returned misprint that amazon tried to sell again.

Looks like that's exactly what happened. I counted out the cards, and you're right - 55 of the cards are chinese, 55 are English/German (or have no text on them).

Wondering what I should do before sending it back to Amazon to make sure they don't resell it again as is, but without actually defacing it in any way. Maybe just a big post-it that says "MISPRINT"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.