Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
From Phil's mailing list:
Phil Eklund wrote:
It with sadness and some fear that I am informed of Funagain going out of business. Nick and Jeff have been my most enthusiastic supporters. The fear comes from that I have only until May to get rid of the games in inventory. This means over one thousand games of Bios:Genesis, Bios:Megafauna, and John Company will be destroyed unless I can sell them by then, or find a cheap new home. I am already taking a loss on these games, so shipping them again (this will be the 4th time) may not be worth it. So if any of you were contemplating getting any of these fine products, they may not be available after May. Stocks in the rest of the world have run out, so remaining orders from now to the deadline on May 1 will be from Funagain.

News for the Neanderthal 2 /Greenland 3/ and Pax Emancipation. The campaign closed successfully and these products are at the printer (Panda Games). On April 1, I will be offering all 3 games as preorders on my new website run by Ion Games Design. These games are scheduled to start shipping in September, and they will be available in Spiel Messe Essen 2018 as well.

Inventory: I have about 200 Pax Renaissance, 200 Bios:Genesis, 600 Bios:Megafauna, and 300 John Company remaining, mainly in the USA, Australia, China.

You cannot order games any more direct from Funagain. You can only order John Company, Bios:Megafauna 2, and Bios:Genesis 2 from my website: www.sierra-madre-games.eu.

I can't recommend this game more highly. It is a rare game that gets so much praise from my entire gaming group (of similiar, yet somewhat diverging tastes).
Here are some of the primary preferences from each of the four main people in my group and how this game meets them.
-Historical immersion and story (emphasis on British history)
-Semi-cooperation: having to work together to see the game through
-Dynamic interaction and negotiation
-Economic logistics and shared incentives

One person in the group describes the game as "everyone riding the same mechanical bull and trying to stay on as long as you can." Each game has provided so much fun and laughter while at the same time being strategically and tactically interesting. It is a perfect meld of mechanics and theme.

This is an impeccable design, and it would be a great shame to have these games be destroyed. Do yourself a favor and get it while you can!!!

Update April 6: In the US, the game is OOS in most places. GameSurplus has some at the moment. Other retailers may have some. SMG no longer has copies.
Various EU retailers reportedly have some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A P
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pax Ren, Bios Megafauna, and John Company are three of my favorite games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
So is miniature market not getting any? They have he games for preorder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Ruckersville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto here, John company has become a family favorite over a short short span of time.... so much so that megafauana is sitting on the shelf...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Perry
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. I had tried ordering BM and JC when I first heard of Funagain closing, but they had been greyed out.

Here's the link for BM (unavailable):

https://www.funagain.com/control/product?product_id=040753

And JC isn't something I can find on Funagain.

Confused...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkP1981 wrote:
Hmm. I had tried ordering BM and JC when I first heard of Funagain closing, but they had been greyed out.

Here's the link for BM (unavailable):

https://www.funagain.com/control/product?product_id=040753

And JC isn't something I can find on Funagain.

Confused...

From a clarification to his e-mail, which I will add to the above message in its entirety:
Quote:
You cannot order games any more direct from Funagain. You can only order John Company, Bios:Megafauna 2, and Bios:Genesis 2 from my website: www.sierra-madre-games.eu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Perry
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooooh...

Wish I had the funds to get JC, but €42 is too much for me at this time.

Guess I won't be getting this one before it becomes unimaginably expensive...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man, what a bummer. The bad news just keep on coming. Get these games while they're hot guys. And yes, I mean all of them, they're amazing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Buchanan
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would someone destroy them if they are worth something? Wouldn't they just sell them. And if that didn't work - sell them at a lower price?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hankhankhank wrote:
Why would someone destroy them if they are worth something? Wouldn't they just sell them. And if that didn't work - sell them at a lower price?

My guess is you don't do that so as not to cheapen the brand.

Happens with books all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Smith
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems extremem, but after multiple (and very costly) shipping errors it seems PhilE is kinda already taking a loss on these items. I guess the loss is significant enough that other options are too expensive to be feasible at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stockdale
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
I sporadically review games...
badge
... It's a running kidney... Kidneys are kind of my profession...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all of these except pax reniascance (which does not appear to be included??) And bios Genesis. I pre ordered bios Genesis through miniature market but haven't heard a thing yet. Are they not getting any?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott de Brestian
United States
Mt. Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

They are for sale. But they are warehoused in Oregon, and the warehouse is closing on May 1. With no physical place to keep the stock, they will have to be discarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisoc13 wrote:
I have all of these except pax reniascance (which does not appear to be included??) And bios Genesis. I pre ordered bios Genesis through miniature market but haven't heard a thing yet. Are they not getting any?

Pax Ren is on their the SMG website.
As for MM, given what Phil said I presume they won't but I have no idea. Maybe Phil will chime in to clarify.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gilbertson
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
So is miniature market not getting any? They have he games for preorder.
~ When Funagain ceased to be, surprise I bought a copy of John Company from MinMart:

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/mibsmg39.html ... hope it works out whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Paterson
Canada
Georgetown
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SJacobsen159 wrote:
From Phil's mailing list:

Well, I tried placing an order for Pax Ren... and got an error.

"Error sending mail 'Your order No. 6718 by Sierra-Madre-Games-Shop (english)' to yourname @ email.com: Could not send: error= -1 Status: 550 5.4.5 Daily user sending quota exceeded. j6sm54329wmg.14 - gsmtp"

Looks like they've hit their quota of sends to the Google SMTP server, and the code isn't failing very gracefully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Americans: I work at an FLGS. ACD has loads of copies available, ring up your local store and ask them to order you a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sisada Ransibrahmanakul
Thailand
Bangkok
Khan Na Yao
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
may I ask how to join Phil's mailing list?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Key
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
"Error sending mail 'Your order No. 6718 by Sierra-Madre-Games-Shop (english)' to yourname @ email.com: Could not send: error= -1 Status: 550 5.4.5 Daily user sending quota exceeded. j6sm54329wmg.14 - gsmtp"
got the same thing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a2b2c517 wrote:
may I ask how to join Phil's mailing list?
Try shooting him an e-mail. His mailing list is sent via the same e-mail on his contact page
http://www.sierra-madre-games.eu/contact_en.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Perry
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Astronautone wrote:
Americans: I work at an FLGS. ACD has loads of copies available, ring up your local store and ask them to order you a copy.

ACD?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkP1981 wrote:
Astronautone wrote:

ACD?

is a distributor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Clark
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkP1981 wrote:
Astronautone wrote:

ACD?

Large board game distribution company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... I am disgusted and disappointed, but I still want to believe people can be honest and sensible.
badge
If am still here, it is only for the gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
And on this side of the Atlantic I am still waiting for my Kickstarter reward because a fulfilment company misplaced a whole shipment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, Phil is not having a good year.

Played John Company. Really like it. However, it has to be played with the right group of people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |