Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Catan: Junior» Forums » General

Subject: Am I the only one who don't think the coco tiles don't need any fixes? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yee Keat Phuah
Malaysia
flag msg tools
I have played about 8 games now with my 5 years old. 2 of the games are with 2 more adults and 6 of the games are just 2P.

Despite reading a lot about coco tiles being imbalanced, I don't feel so myself. The way the map are structured, nobody gets a gold until they build a lair, and the first (youngest) player who go first can swap the gold off the marketplace. So in a way this is giving a slight advantage to the youngest player.

So coco tiles are powerful, and almost everyone should buy it when they have gold!

I don't see coco tiles as a "strategy", but its just something that people should buy to win, just like ships and lairs!

The first two games I played with a wrong rule where I allowed people to trade more than once to the market place, but this is specifically disallowed in the rules, and it does have some impacts to the game. Made it more balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross T
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I almost agree with you. On average, the coco tiles do seem to offer a greater advantage over normal resource collection. We introduced a minor tweak, where if you collect a coco tile, you can't build that turn. That means that you may get gold and wood but you have to wait until next turn to do anything with it. This slight change seems to have brought things into a better balance. I know others have their own rules to bring about balance too. Still a good game playing it just as per the original stated rules of course. Happy gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.