Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: How much time does your group take planning the attack? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
msg tools
Setup is done. You're looking at the first room. How much time does your group take planning how you will attack that first set of monsters?

In my house, we take a looong time. After we play a scenario, I put it away and set up the next scenario. The three players all live here, so we can all wander into the room from time to time to study the setup. One other player and I usually have several discussions of how to deal with the initial group, sometimes including moving game pieces around. By the time we sit down to play, typically the next day because we play five or six scenarios a week, we usually have a plan for the first two or three rounds.

We mostly don't use the forbidden words (initiative numbers, attack amounts, names of cards) but we know where each other will go and who we'll attack.

How about you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 minutes or so per round planning our 2 cards. So far the game hasn't thrown us a hard enough challenge that we need or want to spend more time planning. We may up the difficulty soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah the first move is a bit longer. We talk about what we want to do overall during the scenario then we talk about what we will do the first turn.

"I think we need open that door when only 3 bad guys are remaining"
"I will follow the brute around and clean up his messes."

et cetera

then for the first turn.

"I will go over here and soften up these bad guys"
"I will summon sometihng"

et cetera

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
We play without too much communication most of the time. I'd say each turn takes about a minute to plan, then five to ten minutes to execute. Every so often we'll come up to a big discussion about our options and what general strategy we want to take, but we rarely discuss individual tactics past the three seconds it takes to say "I'm going to kill this guy."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We only take a minute or two to plan each round, but only giving generics like "I'll take out that guy if you can take out or hurt that one" since we really like the "mercenary" roles of this game.

But then we always have one guy in our group that then takes 5 minutes to decide his two cards... but it's always a different person each round (and I'm even sometimes the culprit of this too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc M
Canada
Otterburn Park
Quebec
flag msg tools
Bohde8781 wrote:
We only take a minute or two to plan each round, but only giving generics like "I'll take out that guy if you can take out or hurt that one" since we really like the "mercenary" roles of this game.

But then we always have one guy in our group that then takes 5 minutes to decide his two cards... but it's always a different person each round (and I'm even sometimes the culprit of this too).

Yeah my group has this problem. There's always that one guy who takes forever to pick his two cards. Even when he's got only 4 cards left, he is always the last to pick by a mile.

Also once initiative has been revealed, we tend to talk about specifics of actions after that. I feel we generally spend too much time here trying to maximize our moves with each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Nordell

North Carolina
msg tools
alcovitch wrote:
I feel we generally spend too much time here trying to maximize our moves with each other.

This. This is a fine edge to balance on, and has been a learning curve in the game for me. I find if we spend too much time maxing, it sucks all the joy out of the game. If we spend too little, bad things happen and I regret not acting more wisely. Personally, finding and keeping this balance has been key to enjoying each scenario or not. In general, I have gotten better at it over time, but sometimes I fall back into bad habits and have to remind myself to "just do something" and avoid analysis paralysis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.