Georgia
flag msg tools
Bitches!
badge
Hourglass Nebula
mbmbmbmbmb
Survivors are red
Guardians are blue

I have, over many months, caught up with the General forum by reading every post of every thread, excepting spoilers. (I took some mental trauma along the way.) As a result, there are a few threads of my own I'd like to start, but there is one question that needs to be settled even more than how many copies of the core set one needs.

Poll
What color are Seeker cards?
Orange
Yellow
Other
      230 answers
Poll created by Sungrazer

I ask because of the number of references I saw to the "yellow" class. I have always thought of Seeker cards as orange. So I was curious as to the distribution, and this is just meant to be a fun poll. I deliberately did not include "Yellow-Orange" or "Orange-Yellow" because, while perhaps being technically more correct, what I'm really asking is:

What color do you use when referring to Seeker cards?

[I never saw any reference to the other classes that weren't blue, red, green, and purple. I did see a number of references to Mystics as "mages".]

Edit: Moved the bonus poll up

Poll
How do you usually refer to the player cards?
By their class name ("Guardians", etc.)
By their color
Some other way
      193 answers
Poll created by Sungrazer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Seeker Color
I'd call it ochre yellow (which doesn't necessary make it yellow).

If you use a color picker tool on seeker cards, the hue value ranges from 30-32 which places it closer to orange. (Orange is 30, while yellow is 60).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How interesting. I'm a 'yellow' vote, and yet with the question posed and the cards in front of me its definitely orange. I wonder if its because the texture used for the card background makes the brain assume it's a 'dirty yellow in shadow' where if you treat it just as a color itself it would be orange.

Its like the Checker Shadow optical illusion effect:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checker_shadow_illusion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ochre?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
How interesting. I'm a 'yellow' vote, and yet with the question posed and the cards in front of me its definitely orange. I wonder if its because the texture used for the card background makes the brain assume it's a 'dirty yellow in shadow' where if you treat it just as a color itself it would be orange.

But is the dress blue or white?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Jones
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Bitches!
badge
Hourglass Nebula
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm genuinely surprised at the big early lead yellow has built up.

Bonus poll I wish I'd thought of earlier:

Edit: Moved the bonus poll up to the OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:

Me too...
Ha! The brain is weird. I definitely think of and refer to them as yellow.
...But it's definitely more orange/ochre
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The trouble with True Primary Yellow is that it's invisible on white. Seekers are "Yellow".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted yellow, but looking now, if you asked me with no context, I'd say the color is brown before I'd say yellow or orange.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gardner
msg tools
mb
The character cards invoke more “yellow” than “orange” to me. Check out our first Seeker, Daisy, and the color of the symbol behind her (image linked from ArkhamDB).

The power of suggestion? It doesn’t matter that Seeker skill cards are closest in color to orange / brown, our first Seeker is pretty clearly associated with the color yellow and thus perhaps that’s why most of us associate Seeker with yellow?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mgardner0 wrote:
The character cards invoke more “yellow” than “orange” to me. Check out our first Seeker, Daisy, and the color of the symbol behind her (image linked from ArkhamDB).
The power of suggestion? It doesn’t matter that Seeker skill cards are closest in color to orange / brown, our first Seeker is pretty clearly associated with the color yellow and thus perhaps that’s why most of us associate Seeker with yellow?
I had considered that. The faction symbol is yellower on Daisy, and Daisy herself being blonde just makes the whole card seem more yellow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Jones
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Bitches!
badge
Hourglass Nebula
mbmbmbmbmb
mgardner0 wrote:
It doesn’t matter that Seeker skill cards are closest in color to orange / brown, our first Seeker is pretty clearly associated with the color yellow and thus perhaps that’s why most of us associate Seeker with yellow?

To me, the yellow of that symbol actually highlights that Seeker cards are not yellow. I personally get an impression of orange. Ask me for something more precise, then I'd say dirty orange, or a brownish orange, similar to CSerpent's comment. If the coloring of the Seeker cards were the color of that symbol, then I'd agree that Seeker cards were yellow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gardner
msg tools
mb
Sungrazer wrote:

To me, the yellow of that symbol actually highlights that Seeker cards are not yellow. I personally get an impression of orange.
Oh, I definitely agree with you - Seeker cards are closer to orange now that I look at the cards critically. But I have always considered Seeker faction to be yellow, without ever questioning it, and I think it’s because of Daisy’s card.

To illustrate, look at Daisy in isolation. Based on that card alone, would you consider Seeker to be yellow or orange? Try to ignore all other Seeker cards when making this judgement. Maybe you still see orange, but I see yellow and I am guessing my brain is short-circuiting “Seeker” = “Daisy” = “Yellow”. I’m not saying this is rational, since there are dozens of other Seeker cards that are more orange than yellow - but the mind is funny and maybe this explains why yellow is winning in the poll by such a wide margin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Jones
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Bitches!
badge
Hourglass Nebula
mbmbmbmbmb
mgardner0 wrote:
To illustrate, look at Daisy in isolation. Based on that card alone, would you consider Seeker to be yellow or orange?

I honestly get orange from that card. But who knows what we have all been primed by? Not just from other Seeker cards (for orange) or the yellow symbol and Daisy's blonde hair (for yellow) and the like, but whatever else. Maybe someone at FFG demoing the game early on referred to Seeker cards (or Daisy) as yellow and it spread. ArkhamDB uses classic orange for background and font colors for Seeker cards and decks, even if that is only for legibility reasons, and I would've thought that might tip it towards orange. Then again, maybe it has, and maybe the results would be even more skewed towards yellow if not for that priming. I'm fascinated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In isolation I would say orange. But it's more natural to have red green blue and yellow, not red green blue and orange. How many games can you name that have an orange faction among red green and blue? Yellow is far more common in gaming, and I suspect it's one of the reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The real travesty here is everyone misspelling colour...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gardner
msg tools
mb
I find the topic fascinating too. Something else to consider: a color gradient from bright yellow to dark brown and a gradient from bright orange to dark brown will both contain the ochre color of the Seeker cards. Maybe this is another reason some see orange and some see yellow. Maybe it is the symbol behind Daisy that is reinforcing the yellow-to-brown gradient in my mind, instead of the orange-to-brown gradient others are seeing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Training field technicians at trade school level
badge
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it."
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun thread! To me it's (light) brown though, and this also feels thematical. Seekers being the bookworms of the bunch, the colour being something like old parchment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamey McGameface
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:

Someone's flag is a lie. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
benyar wrote:
Esgaldil wrote:

Not necessarily! Some of us are immigrants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamey McGameface
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikatoy wrote:
benyar wrote:
Esgaldil wrote:

Not necessarily! Some of us are immigrants.

ASSIMILATE!!! arrrh

(in case anyone is reading this and taking it seriously, the above is totally said in jest. Several members of my family are immigrants, most from nations that put extraneous letters in words that don't need them. )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
Could it be that it is a colour...out of space??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are definitely Orange, however all the classes are darker shadowy shades of standard player colors commonly used in boardgames (red,yellow,blue,green,purple,white) so when taken out of context Orange becomes yellow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Training field technicians at trade school level
badge
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it."
mbmbmbmbmb
chbyer wrote:
so when taken out of context Orange becomes yellow.
Don't you mean when taken in context orange becomes yellow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sungrazer wrote:
Survivors are red
Guardians are blue

Encounter cards are meant to utterly screw you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |