Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Sparks
United States
Crosby
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I came across the game today on KS and can't stop thinking about it. The minis look spectacular and all the content is boarder line insane!

That being said, from my understanding, it's just scenarios and not like a campaign/story like Gloomhaven (currently playing). I have always loved the story mode in video games and board games are no different. If this game doesn't have a campaign "mode" I don't see myself pulling it out as I'm not making progress towards anything besides beating up good/bad guys. And for the price ($140+$100 in add-ons), I can't see myself pulling the trigger. I would love it in my collection but just don't see it hitting the table as much as it should if there was a campaign.

Also what would be the re-sell value? Conan right now can be bought for $100 on Amazon. With this being a KS exclusive does that carry any value to it being re-sold?

Any and all comments are welcome, help me get on one side of the fence as I'm riding square in the middle!

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teskal Flink
Germany
flag msg tools
Conan was never KS exclusive, only some parts. They maybe stop selling it, now, but it was not exclusive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sparksWTD wrote:

Also what would be the re-sell value? Conan right now can be bought for $100 on Amazon. With this being a KS exclusive does that carry any value to it being re-sold?

Thanks

maybe, maybe not.

If it's an amazing game, you'll get your money out of it and then it doesn't really matter what you can resell it for later. If it's a horrible game you may break even if you sell it right away.

"re-sale" shouldn't be a factor in KS games unless your doing it purely for prospecting purposes, in which case, the risk is all on you. who knows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sparks
United States
Crosby
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
If I back this game I have no intention to sell it. I was just wondering since all the content being offered in KS exclusive.

I can't get past that if there is no campaign, I don't see myself picking a random scenario and going at it. Even with all the sweet minis, and that Batmobile and T-Rex!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gambit Rogue
msg tools
mb
On the most recent update (#48) they give a look at a typical scenario. I would check it out and see what you think. There's a faux narrative. Now some of the scenarios are 1 villain 1 hero only, 1 villain 2 heroes only, or 1 villain 3 heroes only. So having a continuous campaign with altered player count doesn't work. Having a progression system in the game would dilute the experience because you'd be a 'weaker' version of batman facing a 'weaker' version of Bane or someone, no one would want to replay the early scenarios cause they'd want to be strong with all equipment/gadget.

This game really shines on the variety of characters and the different tactics you can use and the bit of luck you can muster, and the people you play it with just by playing the same scenario a hundred times. It will take a long time to get old if it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I fully expect there to be campaigns where several scenarios tell different parts of the story, with different endings resulting in branching paths. I fully expect this because I will write my own if neither Monolith or the community do it for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
barry Doublet
France
epernay
Other
flag msg tools
Mad Crazy Fool !!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donnbobhardy wrote:
I fully expect there to be campaigns where several scenarios tell different parts of the story, with different endings resulting in branching paths. I fully expect this because I will write my own if neither Monolith or the community do it for me.

If you can't decide, read this thread
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/28588041#28588041

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Rupes
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Resale:

I believe this game will have strong resale potential, enough that you could recoup costs even after shipping/ebay/paypal fees. However, I don't think you will likely make much money for two reasons:
1) This game won't hit retail directly. That means you won't have people loving the base game and wanting more - which is what makes some KS exclusive content worth so much (look at Arcadia Quest, Zombicide, Blood Rage, Conan, etc). It also means you would likely have to sell the complete set as opposed to selling off a few exclusives to make some money back. I don't think this set will be easy to sell piecemeal (except for expansions obviously).
2) Monolith has proven that they will reprint successful KS as they have or are planning to reprint every single KS they have done. Considering this is the most successful KS Monolith has done... it will be reprinted in either a 2019 or 2020 KS (I would guess mid-2019 honestly). This strongly limits profit potential. Consider Gloomhaven - you could possibly sell it for a profit of $50 even after fees but not much more. On the other end of the spectrum... consider Rum & Bones Season One upgrade kit. That was intended to go to retail, and was well reviewed. MSRP was going to be $25 but now it sells for $150 on ebay because CMON canceled retail production and it had limited backers via KS.

Campaign:

You already own Gloomhaven, and I suspect you own or are intrigued by Imperial Assault / Descent / other dungeon crawlers. If you don't have a good skirmish-style game... this is a good one to get. Conan is an excellent game, but you are correct it doesn't lend itself well to campaigns. This game is the same game with more content and a Batman theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jrupes wrote:

it will be reprinted in either a 2019 or 2020 KS (I would guess mid-2019 honestly). This strongly limits profit potential.

Will be reprinted assuming they still have the license. But yes, everything else you said sounds spot on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
typo360 wrote:
jrupes wrote:

it will be reprinted in either a 2019 or 2020 KS (I would guess mid-2019 honestly). This strongly limits profit potential.

Will be reprinted assuming they still have the license. But yes, everything else you said sounds spot on.

This is the big thing - if you are counting on big resale value, you are basically betting Monolith loses the licence before reprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce McKay
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
One of the things that I have found relevant is that Monolith fans have said that the company does a very good job giving post-release support to their titles. New scenarios are being released regularly for Conan still, I think. Fans and designers have all talked regularly about designing some kind of solo mode hack, or a Descent-style 1-vs.-many campaign mode.

Check out their community forums here if you're interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.