Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: LOS, archers, and doors (Scenario 1 - possible enemy reveal spoiler) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Victor Fountain
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I have a very basic question. Based on the picture I took, does the elite archer towards the back (with range of 5) have line of sight to either my tinkerer or scoundrel? I believe he does, but when I look at it I can’t imagine that happening in a practical battle situation when both my characters are trying to use the wall as coverage. However, the line of sight rules dictate any corner of a hex that can touch another hex corner without touching the wall has line of sight. So am I correct in assuming my scoundrel/tinkerer are in trouble?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slawomir Stankowski
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Drescher
Germany
Emsdetten
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, they are. It is really hard to get out of LOS.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michele c
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
Some things that seem amiss in your picture (ignore if I am mistaken because of partial information):
- are you setting up the game correctly? I see 2 characters but a lot of monsters.
- the leftmost archer seems to have stepped on a trap. Unless he was controlled by someone else (push/pull, mind controlled), this is impossible.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Fountain
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I’m actually in a 3 character game, my brute is literally just 1 hex off the screen to the bottom. And good catch on the trap! I was being lazy and just “borrowed” one from the next room when my timkerer laid one instead of taking one from the box. I’ll get that fixed before the next turn is flipped.

And thanks for the clarification! LOS is rather odd in this game, but that does make it a lot more simple going forward- although that does make avoiding dmamage a lot harder now!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Unrelated to your question but related to your picture:

Was this a first time run through? The third room looks setup (minus monsters), but the room hasn't been opened yet. So the room technically shouldn't be there yet.

Of course, if this is a second time through I can see leaving things in place as there is no reason to dismantle it to just set it up.

Each room should be set up as the door is opened.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Red line: LOS to Tinkerer
Blue line: LOS to Scoundrel

There are others, but you only need one example for there to be LOS. They are equidistant, so the Archer would focus on the one with lower initiative.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mesclor wrote:
Each room should be set up as the door is opened.


The rules only seem to mention that monsters should only be added when the room is revealed. It doesn't say anything about obstacles, traps, etc.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Fountain
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Mesclor wrote:
Unrelated to your question but related to your picture:

Was this a first time run through? The third room looks setup (minus monsters), but the room hasn't been opened yet. So the room technically shouldn't be there yet.

Of course, if this is a second time through I can see leaving things in place as there is no reason to dismantle it to just set it up.

Each room should be set up as the door is opened.


Well I'm actually teaching myself how to play this game solo right now as I haven't put together a group of friends to run through this yet. (Although, that should change pretty soon, just got the official game over the weekend) So until now I've been using the print and play version from the kickstarter page and am still getting a few things down.

Anyhow, I typically just set up the items in all the rooms first just to save time and because it's kinda easy to see the layout of the map in the scenario booklet. The rules seemed a little vague when it came to things like scenery/objects, but specific about monsters being revealed too early. At the same time, I've played this scenario a good 5-6 times now just trying to learn the flow of the game to get ready for playing in a party. There's nothing left for me to spoil about this first scenario. Once I get to moving forward I'll definitely get a bit more strict about it.

Edit: The rules actually explain it in a way that the next room should be a complete mystery, as it describes laying down all the new objects, traps, money, etc. after the room has been revealed, not before.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michele c
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
Tikatoy wrote:
Mesclor wrote:
Each room should be set up as the door is opened.


The rules only seem to mention that monsters should only be added when the room is revealed. It doesn't say anything about obstacles, traps, etc.


Yeah, this.

I always set up everything except monsters, traps and chests. I don't want to do it later in the middle of a scenario and it isn't really hurting the fun, nor spoiling anything
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mhl7 wrote:
Tikatoy wrote:
[q="Mesclor"]Each room should be set up as the door is opened.
I always set up everything except monsters, traps and chests. I don't want to do it later in the middle of a scenario and it isn't really hurting the fun, nor spoiling anything

You are right it doesn't hurt anything. But revealing the board one room at a time as needed adds fun. Have you ever played Mansions of Madness. Having the AP reveal the board one room at a time adds quite a bit to that game.

A large part of the fun is not knowing how many rooms are left to go. You don't know if that next door leads to the last room. This makes it more interesting when planning and selecting cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Xaqery wrote:
mhl7 wrote:
Tikatoy wrote:
[q="Mesclor"]Each room should be set up as the door is opened.
I always set up everything except monsters, traps and chests. I don't want to do it later in the middle of a scenario and it isn't really hurting the fun, nor spoiling anything

You are right it doesn't hurt anything. But revealing the board one room at a time as needed adds fun. Have you ever played Mansions of Madness. Having the AP reveal the board one room at a time adds quite a bit to that game.

A large part of the fun is not knowing how many rooms are left to go. You don't know if that next door leads to the last room. This makes it more interesting when planning and selecting cards.
Well, that's an entirely subject assessment, obviously. IMO it's more fun to do it the way that mhl7 does it. In my case the improvement in fun comes from reduced interruption to the flow of the scenario and from the strategy aspect of trying to pace our game to achieve the best effect without exhausting (because exhausting is, IMO, a non-fun thing). Having a scenario effectively be of "random" duration would be an un-fun thing IMO.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
To each their own. Even if they are wrong. : -- )

Have you played Mansions of Madness?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Xaqery wrote:
To each their own. Even if they are wrong. : -- )

Have you played Mansions of Madness?


I've played Mansions of Madness 2e and actually like that game more than Gloomhaven, but the whole point of that game is the narrative, atmosphere, exploration and mystery. Knowing the full board layout and where all the monsters are would hurt the experience significantly.

I find Gloomhaven to be more of a Diablo-like experience, but with the fun of cooperatively figuring out strategies, and knowing everything in advance adds to the experience of planning together.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikatoy wrote:
Xaqery wrote:
To each their own. Even if they are wrong. : -- )

Have you played Mansions of Madness?


I've played Mansions of Madness 2e and actually like that game more than Gloomhaven, but the whole point of that game is the narrative, atmosphere, exploration and mystery. Knowing the full board layout and where all the monsters are would hurt the experience significantly.

I find Gloomhaven to be more of a Diablo-like experience, but with the fun of cooperatively figuring out strategies, and knowing everything in advance adds to the experience of planning together.

I agree that is the point of that game. I just find it fun to add some of that mystery to Gloomhaven. I do not think it detracts from anything Gloomhaven is already doing. There is still plenty of group planning.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michele c
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
Tikatoy wrote:
Xaqery wrote:
To each their own. Even if they are wrong. : -- )

Have you played Mansions of Madness?


I've played Mansions of Madness 2e and actually like that game more than Gloomhaven, but the whole point of that game is the narrative, atmosphere, exploration and mystery. Knowing the full board layout and where all the monsters are would hurt the experience significantly.

I find Gloomhaven to be more of a Diablo-like experience, but with the fun of cooperatively figuring out strategies, and knowing everything in advance adds to the experience of planning together.


Yeah, this. Again.

If i remember MoM correctly, they are two very different games. This game hides all the information that are meant to be kept secret. If it were the case for future rooms, they would not be so plainly laid out.

With that being said, I think it can be played and enjoyed both ways. Meaning that it is perfectly fine to play the exploration game, but it is not fine to tell the OP that he did set up wrong.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mhl7 wrote:
Tikatoy wrote:
Xaqery wrote:
To each their own. Even if they are wrong. : -- )

Have you played Mansions of Madness?


I've played Mansions of Madness 2e and actually like that game more than Gloomhaven, but the whole point of that game is the narrative, atmosphere, exploration and mystery. Knowing the full board layout and where all the monsters are would hurt the experience significantly.

I find Gloomhaven to be more of a Diablo-like experience, but with the fun of cooperatively figuring out strategies, and knowing everything in advance adds to the experience of planning together.


Yeah, this. Again.

If i remember MoM correctly, they are two very different games. This game hides all the information that are meant to be kept secret. If it were the case for future rooms, they would not be so plainly laid out.

With that being said, I think it can be played and enjoyed both ways. Meaning that it is perfectly fine to play the exploration game, but it is not fine to tell the OP that he did set up wrong.

I was not talking to the OP. I am sorry for the confusion. I was talking to mcrispy. And I was just joking.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Xaqery wrote:
mhl7 wrote:
Tikatoy wrote:
Xaqery wrote:
To each their own. Even if they are wrong. : -- )

Have you played Mansions of Madness?


I've played Mansions of Madness 2e and actually like that game more than Gloomhaven, but the whole point of that game is the narrative, atmosphere, exploration and mystery. Knowing the full board layout and where all the monsters are would hurt the experience significantly.

I find Gloomhaven to be more of a Diablo-like experience, but with the fun of cooperatively figuring out strategies, and knowing everything in advance adds to the experience of planning together.


Yeah, this. Again.

If i remember MoM correctly, they are two very different games. This game hides all the information that are meant to be kept secret. If it were the case for future rooms, they would not be so plainly laid out.

With that being said, I think it can be played and enjoyed both ways. Meaning that it is perfectly fine to play the exploration game, but it is not fine to tell the OP that he did set up wrong.

I was not talking to the OP. I am sorry for the confusion. I was talking to mcrispy. And I was just joking.
And wrong.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michele c
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
Xaqery wrote:

I was not talking to the OP. I am sorry for the confusion. I was talking to mcrispy. And I was just joking.


Yes, indeed, it was another poster that needed to be rebuked devil, sorry for the confusion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mhl7 wrote:
Xaqery wrote:

I was not talking to the OP. I am sorry for the confusion. I was talking to mcrispy. And I was just joking.


Yes, indeed, it was another poster that needed to be rebuked devil, sorry for the confusion.
What? I told the OP "he did setup wrong"? Are you sure?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michele c
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
Nope, you didn’t. I was not saying anyone I quoted did. Somebody did it (4th poster or so) and all this talking about set up started. I thought we all had clear where we were coming from.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Janicek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As per the RAW. Set up all room tiles and doors and all the stuff in the starting room. The rest is set up room by room as the doors are opened.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.