Popular Tags: [View All]
The Fiend
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The BUA rules as written leave a lot to be desired. Good idea - bad implementation. In sponsored tournaments they pose such a problem that they are not used. I was amazed to find out that they could be 7" by 7" or 5" by 9"!!! My interpretation was for a 3rd of that size. Consequently an artillery or bow could create havoc over the entire battlefield. Unless it was a seige most battles were fought away from a BUA and not next to it. It is with this thought I came up with the following rule.

A BUA is placed and sides are rolled for normally. The BUA is recommended to be something smaller than the maximum size (mine are about 1/3). The BUA counts as IMPASSABLE terrain for both sides and any elements pushed into it are destroyed (field formations don't do well smashed between buildings). If the attacker wins and the field has a BUA then that player receives +1 VP. If the defender wins or time expires for a draw then the defender gets +1 VP.

Jimzik's VP system

1 VP - each element destroyed
3 VP's - win the battle
+3 VP's - kill the enemy general
+2 VP's - enemy camp held
+1 VP - for BUA as explained above

* add points for loser = loser's total
* add points for winner then subtract loser's total =
winner's total

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Donnelly
Canada
Comox Valley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Re:Easy BUA Rule
Jimzik (#32847),
The BUA rules, and the many other issues arising from the gnarly DBA manual, have been canvassed extensively at http://fanaticus.org/.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fiend
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SkookumPete (#32970),
Yes they have. This is just an easy alternative for home play. Works better for me than anything they've come up with except I have to play their way in tournaments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy wheeler
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Jimzik (#34563),

Best to just ignore BUAs like we do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Jost
United States
GIlroy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimzik (#32847),

Or you could ignore DBA altogether and play Armati II in Intro scale....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy wheeler
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
yes we ignore BUAs...

I cam recommend fanticus website as per last post.

Lastly we like Big DBA. A bigger game in about 1-2 hours with a very quick resolution for one side or the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.