badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So Totally Awesome Hulk’s strength common reads:

Quote:
Beloved Behemoth
Strength
2 Attack
Size-Changing: Strength
Strength: The first time you defeat a Villain this turn, rescue a Bystander.
Cost: 4*

I get that if I play it after another Strength card and then defeat my first Villain of the turn I would rescue a Bystander.

But what happens if you draw it into your hand after already defeating a Villain?

Eg I defeat Enchantress, draw three cards and get this one, then I defeat another Villain.

Would the effect be wasted? My gut is yes, as card text specifies first Villain and seems prospective, ie worded as if it only applies going forward, but it’s too late to defeat your first Villain as that already happened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
So Totally Awesome Hulk’s strength common reads:

Quote:
Beloved Behemoth
Strength
2 Attack
Size-Changing: Strength
Strength: The first time you defeat a Villain this turn, rescue a Bystander.
Cost: 4*

I get that if I play it after another Strength card and then defeat my first Villain of the turn I would rescue a Bystander.

But what happens if you draw it into your hand after already defeating a Villain?

Eg I defeat Enchantress, draw three cards and get this one, then I defeat another Villain.

Would the effect be wasted? My gut is yes, as card text specifies first Villain and seems prospective, ie worded as if it only applies going forward, but it’s too late to defeat your first Villain as that already happened.

Yeah, I agree with your interpretation. It'd be nice if the text read something like, "Strength: The first time you defeat a Villain after playing this card, rescue a Bystander."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
swirlsaepi wrote:

Yeah, I agree with your interpretation. It'd be nice if the text read something like, "Strength: The first time you defeat a Villain after playing this card, rescue a Bystander."

Or just "the next time you defeat a villain"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering that Homecoming's May Parker has the phrase "the next time you fight the Mastermind..." I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say that the phrase "the first time..." is intentional. You do not get the bonus by playing the card and defeating another Villain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls