Subject: Royal Writs in Play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Nelson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm looking for clarification about the amount of royal writs in play. The rulebook says a player may have no more than 3 royal writs in play. However, a player may seal a royal writ at anytime, correct? (or do players simply seal their royal writs at the end of the game)? Therefore, once a royal writ is sealed, does this count towards the amount a player can have in play? I would assume yes, but I wanted clarification.

Also, once a royal writ is drawn is it kept secret from other players or do they remain face up on the table? Do the rules explicitly state this anywhere? I assume they are hidden, but wanted to double check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Cockrell
United States
Corona
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neldog23 wrote:
I'm looking for clarification about the amount of royal writs in play. The rulebook says a player may have no more than 3 royal writs in play. However, a player may seal a royal writ at anytime, correct? (or do players simply seal their royal writs at the end of the game)? Therefore, once a royal writ is sealed, does this count towards the amount a player can have in play? I would assume yes, but I wanted clarification.

Also, once a royal writ is drawn is it kept secret from other players or do they remain face up on the table? Do the rules explicitly state this anywhere? I assume they are hidden, but wanted to double check.

Page 11. You seal them at the end of the game. You can only have 3 cards.

I don't think there is anything mentioned, but would assume it is secret.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Warr
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neldog23 wrote:

Royal writ cards are hidden until played. I don't think that's specifically mentioned, but you are not told to reveal them so why would you?

Apparently you *can* seal a writ during the game, but it still counts towards the 3 limit (this was from Mark himself). Personally I think that's an unnecessary complication. There's no benefit to doing so, it just reduces your flexibility, reveals information to your opponents that could have remained hidden and causes confusion over whether they count towards the limit. Certainly when I teach the game I'm not going to tell players they can do this, as it's not stated in the rules and there no reason they should do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
poptasticboy wrote:
Royal writ cards are hidden until played. I don't think that's specifically mentioned, but you are not told to reveal them so why would you?

It's an assumption. Some players may assume one thing, others may assume another.

This is probably answered elsewhere, but speaking of sealing writs, how do you track whether someone actually defeated a monster?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Warr
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
poptasticboy wrote:

It's an assumption. Some players may assume one thing, others may assume another.

This is probably answered elsewhere, but speaking of sealing writs, how do you track whether someone actually defeated a monster?

There's no specific way to track whether someone defeated a monster, but it's quite a major event, and getting monsters on the board isn't likely to happen all that often... There shouldn't be any doubt as to whether someone defeated a monster or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikhil Iyer
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Does defeating a monster prior to receiving the monster-slayer writ still count if/when you get that particular writ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Warr
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ving wrote:
Does defeating a monster prior to receiving the monster-slayer writ still count if/when you get that particular writ?

Certainly, you don't generally seal writs until the end of the game, so the monster-slaying will generally occur long before you reveal & seal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ponder Stibbons
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
I give myself very good advice, But I very seldom follow it. That explains the trouble that I'm always in.
mbmbmbmbmb
poptasticboy wrote:
Ving wrote:

Certainly, you don't generally seal writs until the end of the game, so the monster-slaying will generally occur long before you reveal & seal.

i assumed you would need the proper writ before killing the monster, (and then reveal it right then during the Conquer action), but nothing in the rules says that's how it works. i suppose you could give the monster slaying player an influence token from an unused color to mark the kill. then it would be somewhat open information and they could acquire and seal the writ how-/when-ever they like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Warr
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rumbelow wrote:
poptasticboy wrote:
Ving wrote:

i assumed you would need the proper writ before killing the monster, (and then reveal it right then during the Conquer action), but nothing in the rules says that's how it works. i suppose you could give the monster slaying player an influence token from an unused color to mark the kill. then it would be somewhat open information and they could acquire and seal the writ how-/when-ever they like.

"in order for charters to
become valid, you must obtain a king’s seal and place it on
the card at the END of the game."

I really don't think anyone is going to be forgetting whether or not a monster was killed. It's not necessarily common that one will be played at all; someone defeating one will be a memorable occurrence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Todea
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This really opens up the game to pimping - I wonder how long before someone comes with little mini-monster tokens/figures that are given to each player who defeats a monster.
You know - just in case they might have that writ card in hand...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.