BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » PBEM » The Village Square

Subject: Personal Strategy Checklist rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
LJ
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
With Trigirl being this lock consensus good read for so many people, I find it really bizarre that she's alive. Just don't lock clear her for tone. There's a threshold where if she's still alive she should probably just be murdalated.
badge
Born to be a king, I ask one thing in return: a front seat to watch Earth burn.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys! I was wondering what's on your personal strategy checklists when you're playing?

I have a few that I do as any alignment:

- Specifically note reads that feel super ridiculous to me that imply some kind of TMI. If I'm evil, that means they're more likely to be some kind of special (or co-evils if I'm an unaware aux). If I'm good, they're either evil or seer-ish.

- Always think through who I'd kill that night before the flip. That can sometimes give me insight into who the wolves are because I know that there are people that tend to think more like me when they're evil and there are people that definitely don't.

- I always try to do limited information vomit at night (or close to the deadline). If I'm good and villager, more chance of being NKed. Good and special, can give some insight into any information I might have. Evil, can help set up whatever I'm doing the next day. In probably 60% of games, my most important posts can be the ones in the last hour and a half of the game. I'm usually at least a bit strategic with them.

- Never let my vote sit for more than 10 hours ever. There are very few exceptions to this. I almost always start each non-D1 with an exploratory vote to see how it feels, who pushes back against it (if good), how other people read me for it (both alignments), and if I can get traction on them (both alignments).

The thing that I always try to remember is that werewolf is more about whether or not I can get people to do what I want than anything else. That doesn't mean that I'm always right (because I'm definitely not), but the most illustrative times in werewolf for me come when I can't because it can give insight into GSes, co-evils, the genuineness of other peoples's reads, and just what the current gamestate is. Probably 70% of the time that I vote on D1-D3 or anytime we have a late game re-engage, it's more about how other people respond to the vote and rarely is me actually trying to lynch that person, if that makes sense.

Anyways, I have some more specific things for roles that I'll get into at some point, but what are the strategy things that yall are constantly thinking about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Zarski-Riley
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
I may or may not be a Wolf
badge
I am a cloud
mbmbmbmbmb
This probably comes as no surprise to anyone, but I never have any strategy, or, at least, very rarely. I just play by the seat of my pants. I don't even pre-think a false claim or think too much about where I'm pushing for mislynches as Evil. Just bend with the wind

It'll be interesting to read what strategies anyone else has!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaius Ceaser
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smugvid wrote:
This probably comes as no surprise to anyone, but I never have any strategy, or, at least, very rarely. I just play by the seat of my pants. I don't even pre-think a false claim or think too much about where I'm pushing for mislynches as Evil. Just bend with the wind

This is basically my strategy unless I pick a theme for the game or in hidden roleset games, if I am evil. If it's a hidden roleset game and I am evil, I'll plan a false claim from early on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Zarski-Riley
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
I am a cloud
mbmbmbmbmb
GaiusJC wrote:
Smugvid wrote:

This is basically my strategy unless I pick a theme for the game or in hidden roleset games, if I am evil. If it's a hidden roleset game and I am evil, I'll plan a false claim from early on.

I think it is reasonable to conclude that this is probably why we accumulate as many votes as we do
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smugvid wrote:

Most of the time, I also don't think about things much ahead of time. Occasionally as evil there will be something I plan (like a claim), but even that's fairly rare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokah
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
We all need it!
badge
This hairstyle was fun for a day, but tooooo much hair for my tastes.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm always trying to figure out why people think or say the things they do and make the choices they do, which leads to direct role hunting - I'd say even as good, but actually moreso as good.

Before a game starts, I've decided if I'm looking to false claim, and if so, I have 1d4+1 options usually floating in my pocket, and I keep an eye on any places where I'm basically making a decision to NOT do one of them in my setup, so that I only do that intentionally.

Every D1 I decide early in meta if this is a game I'm really in and going to push and make the pendulum swing or if I'm more of an observer.

There's also definitely a tactical decision on how much fun I'm going to let myself have, and I think it is really visible in thread when I change my mind on that subject - as it is 99% of the time in the direction of damping my fun.

I try to balance the stuff I say that isn't quite representative of what I think, but will make stuff happen that I desire, with my role, the thread temperature, and how much friction I have with the other players already pre-existing. When I choose to be very open about what I really think and straight up, there's usually a reason?

All of this goes out the window when I'm tired or too ill, though, heh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt J
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I post a bunch of dumb stuff without thinking about it and maybe see if I can write some awful poetry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LJ
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
With Trigirl being this lock consensus good read for so many people, I find it really bizarre that she's alive. Just don't lock clear her for tone. There's a threshold where if she's still alive she should probably just be murdalated.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smugvid wrote:

But you have a list of stuff that you think about when playing, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LJ
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TFang wrote:
I'm always trying to figure out why people think or say the things they do and make the choices they do, which leads to direct role hunting - I'd say even as good, but actually moreso as good.

Before a game starts, I've decided if I'm looking to false claim, and if so, I have 1d4+1 options usually floating in my pocket, and I keep an eye on any places where I'm basically making a decision to NOT do one of them in my setup, so that I only do that intentionally.

Every D1 I decide early in meta if this is a game I'm really in and going to push and make the pendulum swing or if I'm more of an observer.

There's also definitely a tactical decision on how much fun I'm going to let myself have, and I think it is really visible in thread when I change my mind on that subject - as it is 99% of the time in the direction of damping my fun.

I try to balance the stuff I say that isn't quite representative of what I think, but will make stuff happen that I desire, with my role, the thread temperature, and how much friction I have with the other players already pre-existing. When I choose to be very open about what I really think and straight up, there's usually a reason?

All of this goes out the window when I'm tired or too ill, though, heh.

Oh, yeah. 1d4+1 claims sounds right, as both alignments. I rarely go in saying "I'm just going to be a villager this game".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madeline B
msg tools
No mountains
badge
no valleys
mbmbmbmbmb
#sharkfever: I think of myself as a very analytical and self-conscious player, but that doesn't mean I have a "deliberate" list of things to accomplish from game to game or especially role to role. Rather, there are certain things that consistently catch my eye as good, and I try to roughly approximate that as evil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
My top personal skill is to look at when players are inconsistent. If they criticize, call attention to, or throw shade on someone, have they done the exact same thing to someone else?

The benefit of this approach is you don't have to know the player well, or read them well. They said themselves such a behavior is shady, so either they are looking for trouble (as opposed to legitimate hunting) or they are acting shady themselves.

This happens more than I expect. For example, I noticed mono and yuki both voted in an unusual manner that they called another player out on the day before.

However keep in mind some players may confabulate when justifying their actions, even when good. Ideally this wouldn't happen, but it helps to know who is likely to give false positives, and try a different method of reading them.

My recommendation for new players or whenever you don't see anything that stands out is to iso players. Basically, go to the game roster and read only a player's posts. At the basic level, this gives a general tone for their engagement and contributions. But it also shows their individual actions and comments. What we're they thinking before voting a particular person? Who have they been talking to? It's also useful for looking for more major contributions and forming reads of your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
It also is to some extent "the first rule is there are no rules". Which means you should be somewhat creative in hunting each game. Not as much "it's never the same game twice", but that players are pretty good about changing if something got them killed last time (regardless of alignment).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dake Jimson
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Why's the sky blue? Why's water wet?
badge
Why did Judas rat to Romans while Jesus slept?
mbmbmbmbmb
i don't have this. i like that there are players that have a calculated approach though. i don't think i could play like me if there weren't players like you. the opposite is probably true as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Zarski-Riley
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
I am a cloud
mbmbmbmbmb
ljtrigirl wrote:
Smugvid wrote:

But you have a list of stuff that you think about when playing, right?

I think I have unconscious habits, or things that trip my radar, but I'm not necessarily looking for them.

Like, one of the things that does trip that radar is inappropriate perspective, which I feel like I've learned about just through being prone to those errors myself. But I'm not necessarily thinking about it when I'm reading other people's posts, it'll just jump out at me when I find it.

If the intent is to talk about these things for others to learn from (which I hope it is!), then it's not dissimilar from the TMI thing that LJ is referring to, but I also notice it from people having little gaps in their worldview because they've forgotten to look for their own role, or whatever.

As examples:
Smugvid wrote:
dyachei wrote:
The_Rorab wrote:
dyachei wrote:
The_Rorab wrote:
dya, how are you doing today?

A little pissed that I thought EOD was later than it was. I also don't get why you'd want to lynch a claimed villager, even if you don't like the role. paper should be off the table

Do you mean why you'd lynch a claimed Remora or one of the claimed Villagers? The logic behind the Remora lynch possibility was that LJ was the Hermit Crab and kind of wawnted to become the Remora, and the others didn't want to die themselves and also felt like it was fine to lynch the Remora so the Hermit could eat ther role and also Paper could have been lying and someone afk could have been the Remora.

I didn't want to lynch Paper because he was the Remora claimant

I wouldn't have lynched the claimed remora. a villager is a villager. despite whether or not I like their role.

Ugh, my phone keeps dropping from the internet, so I lost my post.

Anyway. I think dya's actually showing Wolf perspective here, because there's no consideration that Paper is lying. So, ergo, he's not and dya is a Wolf. [Vote dya]

I think it's dya, Beren and Stone.

This could easily have been a Good with a Good read on Paper, so I'm not claiming it as a foolproof tactic, but I think I actually explain my thought process well here.

stonecutter129 wrote:
I could totally see it being oldhoss and ryagic/doppio.

This is useless without context, but this is from Rainbow 9 that's just finished. The perspective problem, as I perceived it, was that Stone was listing this as an Evil team, but there was a third living Evil. It seemed clear to me that Stone was forgetting about that, because it was him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Zarski-Riley
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
I am a cloud
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, thinking about it, I do have conscious strategic choices, but they're possibly less evidently useful than LJ's examples!

I can do a lot of things on D1 to try and make something happen, so I'll often take on a character to try and create content for other (better? *shrug*) players to review. I'd say my main characters that I'll adapt are the joker, who will probably post a lot, be silly, just saying things; the agent provocateur, who will ask lots of questions, have lots of suspicions and generally just try to put the cat amongst the pigeons; and the lightning rod, who will do something to get people talking, so maybe claim, nightfall someone, or purposefully take a contrary position.

The problem I have with taking on these roles is I can be kind of method in playing them, so I don't feel like I benefit from doing it very much, because I'm sort of absorbed in my own gimmick. Being dissociative from myself is not 100% healthy for me either, it's a coping mechanism I had from managing my MH problems, so I need to be careful I am well enough to do it appropriately. Lightning Rod can especially flare my temper :/

I also make stuff up all the time, even if I'm just being me. Give reads that are't real, so I can buy into my own belief in it. If I read the game as if players X and Y are Good and Z is Evil, what's happening in that world? Does it make sense? Who's arguing against it? Why? It can really help develop real reads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
My strategy is to work other people up enough that I can read them, usually by full-force evil-calling. Their reaction to that is the only thing I have to go by most of the time.

I also pick up on evil perspective slips and other things, but often my D1 is just chatting and looking at the tally and eenie meenie myney mo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I try not to overengage people who are calling me evil, and not to immediately trust people calling me good. By overengage I mean making repeated defensive posts. Answer any accusations once. "No, that actually means such and such" and then that's the end of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madeline B
msg tools
No mountains
badge
no valleys
mbmbmbmbmb
Smugvid wrote:
I also make stuff up all the time, even if I'm just being me. Give reads that are't real, so I can buy into my own belief in it. If I read the game as if players X and Y are Good and Z is Evil, what's happening in that world? Does it make sense? Who's arguing against it? Why? It can really help develop real reads.
I don't do this for the heck of it, but in the past I've felt myself taking a "Bayesian" approach to claimwars. If A were good, what would the world look like, and how would people behave? If B were good, ditto. Then work backwards and see which one matches the evidence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokah
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
We all need it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, claim wars are about how someone has played and if it matches that role (both against my initial gut check and research) and THEN it gets sanity checked through "Does this person RP their fake claims from the start consistently?"

Depending how strong that question comes back "yes", I weight how the claim fits into the rest of the game accordingly. The better they are at that, the less points they get for playing it on good perspective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zed TwoEggs
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I've improved upon the crosseyed staring at the player list Nick started. I enter a meditative trance and the wolves jump out at me.

You make think I'm joking...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth BK
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ignore meta and make gut-reads on threads I'm invariably behind on, plus make jokes and act generally shady...

Oh wait, that's how I get run-up/lynched. Nevermind blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Brea
CA
flag msg tools
This space intentionally left green.
badge
GRRREEEEEEEEENNNN!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I read until something pings me, then hound that person until they think I'm evil. Then I decide that that person is probably good and look for a new ping and repeat the pattern until someone doesn't think I'm evil at which point I become convinced that that person must KNOW i'm not evil, so I tunnel on them for the rest of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokah
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
We all need it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gdapkus wrote:
I read until something pings me, then hound that person until they think I'm evil. Then I decide that that person is probably good and look for a new ping and repeat the pattern until someone doesn't think I'm evil at which point I become convinced that that person must KNOW i'm not evil, so I tunnel on them for the rest of the game.

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the thread a little. I take a shower and think "what should I do for this one?". Then I do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wait until somebody says or does something and doesn't have a good explanation for doing so.

Any claims will generally be made in the moment.

The only time I do more planning ahead of time is if I'm a good special or aux evil, but generally that planning is very vague.

Normally if I apply some posting restriction on myself (such as only posting pictures or mimicking others votes), that restriction is made in the moment.

Occasionally I think of something between games that might be useful or fun to play with in a future game.

The general goal all games though: Put others in situations they haven't been in before and see how they react to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.