Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Middle of Game Question - Cards With Asterisk rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
We are in the middle of playing and my gf just played the Blue Action Card; Industrial Center which has an asterisk near the bottom and says "Place this tile ADJACENT TO A CITY TILE".

There are currently no City tiles on the board. We have 3 oceans and 2 forests but no City tiles yet. Does she ignore that portion of the card or can she not play that card yet until there is a City tile on the board? I also have a Green action card in my current hand that is called Mining Area and it also has an asterisk at the bottom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Asterisk means there are additional rules on the card. Both of those cards can only be played if there is an appropriate placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a placement restriction, she will need to wait until there is a city in play (preferably one of yours!). There are few cards like that, for example the one that requires placement adjacent to two cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Likewise, if you have no tiles on the board that are adjacent to metal placement bonus, then Mining Area is not playable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick answers. We just finished our first game playing on the Hellas map and she slaughtered me 117-90. I was the PhoboLog Corp. and she played the United Nations Mars Initiative. It was interesting playing on a new map, even though we stayed completely away from the South Pole area.

We really liked the new milestones and awards.

That was my play area and I thought I had a pretty good engine going but it was nothing compared to hers.

Below is her side of the board and her play area.

How in the world did she get that many cards in play in only 10 Generations? shake

Still one of my favorite games and I'm looking forward to trying out the Elysium side of the map and Venus Next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch.. it's not good to allow red player to place a city near two greeneries placed by blue.

Nice Wotan mat though..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The asterisk means that you have to actually read the text of the card to get all the rules. The other cards can be fully understood just by the icons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.