Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We are 2 players playing the Mindthief and Brute. We won scenario 1 (& opened up a side quest), but just lost scenario 2. We decided to go back to town and spend some money. We are figuring out the next time to play.

Since we are in town, some questions:

1- if we replay scenario 2, will the treasure chest reappear?

2- how hard are the side quests relative to the story onees early?

3- if another player joins us, is that a new party or do we just play and use 3 players when setting up?

4- if the 3rd player isn't going to be regular, is it bad or anything to be aware going back and forth between 2 and 3 character parties?

5- Is it a bad, good or neutral idea for me to play the game solo by using my main character and starting another character (or two) to fill the time between playing sessions with my other player?

6- If I do #5 I would probably not do the main story scenarios, so the other main player could be involved with those. Should I play the side scenarios or just do random dungeons to get experience and gold? In a random dungeon do I still take a battle secret objective to get check marks?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
1- No. Looted treasure chests do not respawn. Goal treasure chests and coins do respawn, however.

2-Some are harder. Since GH scales difficulty to party level, I gauge difficulty here by how geared up the game "expects" you to be.

3-He can join your current party no problem.

4, 5, 6-GH is built to accomodate players AND characters dropping in and out. There is no conflict with the rules.

As for going at it alone, this is a personal judgment call on your part. If your peers won't feel left out when you go on doing missions on your own, then I guess you're fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ftl ftw
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) No. Treasure chests are permanently looted once they're looted, you don't get to re-collect items or rewards multiple times. (Exception - "goal" chests which are part of the scenario goal. Those are always replaced, but they also don't give any rewards besides being required for the scenario. You haven't encountered any of those yet in scenarios 1-2.)

2) In our party we played a sidequest immediately after scenarios 1 and 2 and were fine. They're not really harder than mainline scenarios. It depends which one you draw. Some of them have more complex mechanics or monsters, though, so they could be a bit harder for new players.

But yeah, it's clearly a deliberate design decision that it's possible to unlock a side scenario immediately after scenario 1. So go for it if you feel like it.

3) They would be a third player in the same party. Play and use 3 players when setting up.

4) Not really, it should work fine. That player's character might level up and get items slower, but the game is fine with that. Things to remember - the player can always level up to the prosperity level of the town, so if you get to Prosperity 2 before the occasional player gets to level 2, they can instantly bump up. Another thing to remember - the recommended scenario level is the average level of all the players, DIVIDED BY TWO, rounded up.

5) I'd say neutral or bad depending on how you do it. I think your regular player would get annoyed if major plot developments kept happening between sessions they were in. Balance-wise it would mean you get more gold and XP, and again if you get too far ahead it might feel weird for the other player. (There was a post somewhere on these boards about some game group where one player would just grind and power-level a character in between sessions, and would always be far ahead of the rest of the team in XP and always have all the best items. Made for a weird dynamic.) But I've heard good things about people doing that for "clean-up" - like if you win a scenario but don't get the treasure chest, your partner probably wouldn't object to next time you being like "oh, I replayed this scenario and we got this item."

6) Oh, you clarified point number 5. "Side Scenarios" are still part of the main game, so it depends how your other player would feel about it. You could do random dungeons for experience and gold. All characters still get battle goals and can get checkmarks, and can make progress towards their personal quests if applicable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mb
1) If you looted the treasure chest it will not reappear, if you didn't loot it it'll still be there when you replay.

As for party comp the game is pretty forgiving. If you are going to play a lot more than your peers I would suggest you have your solo characters separate (they can still be in the same party), but it's completely up to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donato
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As for #6, watch out that your other player might want to do the side scenarios too. There is a character in my group that likes them very much whistle

In this regard, playing random dungeons would be safer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaihel wrote:
As for #6, watch out that your other player might want to do the side scenarios too. There is a character in my group that likes them very much whistle

In this regard, playing random dungeons would be safer.

Side scenarios that I've seen have no direct tie to the main questlines. As long as that holds true you can replay them if really wanted with no consequences other than if you looted the chest and it is gone. Though you might consider bumping the difficulty the third or more times as you'd have a good idea of what to do already. I think the idea of 'going in blind' is a factor in general scenario designs, given the suggestion to only lay out rooms as they are opened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezra McNichols
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
A bit late to reply, but another thing to bear in mind is that the scenarios you're contemplating doing solo might be needed for some of your teammates' personal goals.

Very minor spoiler for more info:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
They might need scenarios in specific locations or with specific types of monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.