Hide
9 Posts

Massive Darkness» Forums » General

Subject: Returning to Massive Darkness Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mick Filflanks
msg tools
Just was curious if anyone who has playtested this a lot have any must use rules to make the game more balanced/fun. Have not had a chance to play this game hardly at all and wanted to get some ideas before trying again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't play the campaign rules, and reduce the number of treasure chests by one wherever they appear. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Palio
msg tools
If you want you can check some of my ideas in this topic! If you try them out please let me know what you think

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1960523/massive-rule-revisi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Patrick
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I just changed transmute so that you can only get a card the same level as the lowest level card that you are discarding. This way you don't typically have higher level loot than the monsters that you are fighting. All of the quests have been very fun, and we are currently stuck on quest 9. Our games have all been with 4 heroes, which I would recommend as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played roughly 50 games at this point and see a lot of suggestions to rules that don't necessarily make the game better. From my own play experience, these are the house rules I generally use (unless its a difficult quest like 2, 4, etc.):

1 Enemies do not spawn with treasure at level 1(keeps you from getting really tough combos before you have the proper gear/skills to handle them)

2 Only 1 item can be equipped and used at any given time (keeps power creep down at later levels and prevents you from massing items)

3 You pick up treasure like normal, but only keep the amount based on number of players (example 1 treasure kept in a 1 player game regardless if you pick up 1 or 3 chest at a time. This doesn't gimp you from finding usable gear, but does prevent you from gaining a ton of gear to transmute in lower player count games. Rules are played as normal in 3+ player games)

4 Minions in a mob do not grant xp (helps slow down xp gain and skill accumulation, thus slowing power creep. It also keeps tanks and support classes like the Noble Warrior, who generally do not get as many kills, from falling behind)

5 You cannot transmute and gain gear that is higher than your current level (doesn't have as big of impact if you are following the above chest loot rule, but still helps keep you from gaining powerful weapons a level or 2 higher than your own)

I have also been playing around with giving enemies more defense or health so they last awhile, but with the above house rules that result in less skills, items, and equipment, this doesn't seem to be as needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jos Black
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We kind of have the same rules as @deathleech, with these additions:

- You can "Focus" as an action, this will give you 1 extra yellow die on your next attack during that turn, or +1 sword if you already have 3 yellow dice. (can be very useful in the early stages)

- As part of a move action you can also "Drop" one or more items. Other players can then pick it up as normal. (Waiting for players to get to you to be able to trade sometimes slowed the play down)

- We spawn Lesser Roaming Monsters at dungeon level 1 and 2, Greater at level 3 and 4, and Lesser + Greater al level 5. (Keeps these mobs more challenging)

- Ranged and magic enemies move away 1 zone after attacking, even if this means they lose line of sight. (Gives these enemies more of a hit and run feeling)

- You resurrect with 3 HP instead of full health. (Because, why not screw the dying ones over just a little bit more)

These rules improved the game for us. I hope they will help you too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juan sebastian rams
msg tools
I'm testing a simple modificación. When you pick up treasures Cheste you pick as Many cards as Cheste, but only keep one. Hence you need to choose what área donde you want to máximize.

Also i have a backpack limit of 5 ítems and only use The micro XP mechanic instead of full XP.

Transmutar costa an action too

Overall i'm happy with the difficulty level right now, but i need More plays where i don't die horribly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Butler
Canada
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deathleech wrote:
I've played roughly 50 games at this point and see a lot of suggestions to rules that don't necessarily make the game better. From my own play experience, these are the house rules I generally use (unless its a difficult quest like 2, 4, etc.):

1 Enemies do not spawn with treasure at level 1(keeps you from getting really tough combos before you have the proper gear/skills to handle them)

2 Only 1 item can be equipped and used at any given time (keeps power creep down at later levels and prevents you from massing items)

3 You pick up treasure like normal, but only keep the amount based on number of players (example 1 treasure kept in a 1 player game regardless if you pick up 1 or 3 chest at a time. This doesn't gimp you from finding usable gear, but does prevent you from gaining a ton of gear to transmute in lower player count games. Rules are played as normal in 3+ player games)

4 Minions in a mob do not grant xp (helps slow down xp gain and skill accumulation, thus slowing power creep. It also keeps tanks and support classes like the Noble Warrior, who generally do not get as many kills, from falling behind)

5 You cannot transmute and gain gear that is higher than your current level (doesn't have as big of impact if you are following the above chest loot rule, but still helps keep you from gaining powerful weapons a level or 2 higher than your own)

I have also been playing around with giving enemies more defense or health so they last awhile, but with the above house rules that result in less skills, items, and equipment, this doesn't seem to be as needed.

Just wanted to say thanks for this list. I played 2 games with these changes recently and they were fantastic. I still found the game a little "snowball-y" but these definitely helped. I'm going to try these again in some more scenarios. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem, I am glad you enjoyed them. My goal was to keep the changes minimal and as close to the standard game rules as possible.

If you find these house rules to be too difficult on the tougher missions like 2, 4, etc., you can always tweak remove some of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.