Subject: Question for others who know math rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
My research can be considered mathematical physics. I deal a lot with one specific class of non-linear partial differential equations. All solutions of those NLPDF's have certain things in common. So, I suspect I might be able to construct a general solution, analogous to the way one constructs a general solution to a linear PDF by linear combination of two independent specific solutions. Unfortunately I cannot see how to either prove or disprove the the method really does obtain a completely general solution.

Does anyone on here know citable resources to help?

EDIT:
Does it help that the class of equation is globally non-linear but always tends locally to a linear limit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
If this is your research, you are probably the most knowledgeable person on this topic here... Not saying that you cannot ask a question like this, but aren't there math geek forums where this would fly better? This is way beyond hobbyists. I mean, if I have a programming problem I go to Stack Overflow, not to BGG...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know and I did but I thought I'd try here anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Then my suggestion is: search at a math department of a good university for a professor who has this as his or her specialization, then pose your question to them. My experience is that if your question is short and to the point, they generally tend to be helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked the question on ResearchGate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a professor, I can tell you that I never check ResearchGate, as it tends to bombard me with posts if I don't turn them off. You would really be better off just contacting someone. If you are personally contacting someone who is clearly the right person to tell you something about this, you will find that they are usually helpful. Many professors consider "helping others" a big part of their job, while also being so busy that they are not checking stuff like ResearchGate. Just try it. Construct a mail that tells in two or three sentences why you are interested in the topic, why you are contacting them, and what your question is. Especially if you are not asking them to solve the question for you but just where you can find more information on the topic, you will probably get a positive response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that I could help, but could you give a few more specifics? I love a good math question! Sometimes it will inspire me to read up on something outside of my particular comfort zone...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I have probably forgotten more math than 95% of the planet has ever learned. Does that count?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.