Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Are pressure plates only triggered by occupying them at the end of the turn? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I know the specific nature of each pressure plate of each pressure plate is defined by the scenario in which they appear.

But some scenario descriptions don't specifically state the "end of turn" condition, only that the plate has to be "occupied".

However, the rulebook mentions:
rulebook pg 34 wrote:
if a pressure plate is occupied by a character at the end of a turn, it may trigger a special effect specified in the scenario book, such as opening a door or spawning a monster.

So does that mean that pressure plates can ONLY count as being "occupied" if a character ends their turn there? Even when the scenario doesn't specifically state it?

Thus merely ending one's movement on a plate, and then using another move action to move off of it would not qualify as "occupying" the plate?

But since it states "end of a turn" and not "end of that character's turn" (which is what is listed for end-of-turn looting), then it would count as occupying if a character is granted a move action during another character's turn or they end up on a plate after being pushed/pulled by an enemy (as long as they are still on the plate at the end of a turn), correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
what brought about these questions in my mind was a scenario where certain doors are only open as long as a pressure plate is "occupied" by a character.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
scenario #66

It is clear in the scenario description that the door closes immediately when the character moves (or is moved) off the plate, but does it immediately open when the character moves onto the plate, or only when they end a turn on that plate?

If it opens immediately, a player could go early in initiative, move onto the plate, revealing new monsters, and then moving off the plate (closing the door). That would mean that the newly revealed monsters would not be able to obtain focus during their turns, since they are in a closed room with no enemies to focus on.

And if it opens immediately (and not just at the end of the turn), can just running over a plate (in the middle of a movement action) open the door briefly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group just played that scenario and we played that the doors opened at the end of the player turn of the player occupying the plate but closed immediately upon the player vacating the plate. I believe there is also a line in the scenario description that the doors open when a plate is occupied at the end of a turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean I think you quoted the exact rule book entry you need to answer your question. If it doesn't say specifically in the scenario, then refer to the rule book. Rule book says it has to be occupied at the end of a turn. So you couldn't move onto it with one move action and move off before the end of your turn and call that occupied at the end of a turn.

If you moved onto it, ended your turn there, and then another character used an ability to move you off it, then you could theoretically open the door and close it before the enemies behind the door have a chance to act.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kornetmuse kornetmuse
France
flag msg tools
QBert80 wrote:
My group just played that scenario and we played that the doors opened at the end of the player turn of the player occupying the plate but closed immediately upon the player vacating the plate. I believe there is also a line in the scenario description that the doors open when a plate is occupied at the end of a turn.

For all other doors, it says that it has to be at the end of the turn. So I would guess it is intentionnal for those doors to open immediately.

But it says that it remains open only if you occupied the hex. Are you really occupying it when you're moving ? Not sure.

I would say that you must finish your move to consider occupying an hex. So I would say you can open the doors during your turn but cannot open and close the door with the same move ability.

Edit: I have checked all scenario and only 3 others don't mention end of a turn. 1 because it is
Spoiler (click to reveal)
a monster that must activate it
. 2 as sceanrio goal.

Either it's a typo (since he specifies end of turn for all other instances), either those plates are specials... Either way. A clarification in the FAQ for this scenario would be usefull to avoid any doubts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
I mean I think you quoted the exact rule book entry you need to answer your question. If it doesn't say specifically in the scenario, then refer to the rule book. Rule book says it has to be occupied at the end of a turn. So you couldn't move onto it with one move action and move off before the end of your turn and call that occupied at the end of a turn.

That is what I'm leaning toward too. And since the rulebook says "character" that would mean pressure plates could never be triggered by anything other than a character (summon, monster, or obstacle), unless as part of a "special rule" specifically mentioned in that scenario's text.

Dexter345 wrote:
If you moved onto it, ended your turn there, and then another character used an ability to move you off it, then you could theoretically open the door and close it before the enemies behind the door have a chance to act.

That is possible. But any of the newly revealed monsters that had an initiative value faster than the door-opener would go as soon as the door-opener's turn is ended, which would not give any other character time to act.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.