Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Burden
United States
Streator
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So what war game is your "White Whale" that elusive target that you just can't seem to find? The game that you have been hunting for, that if you would find it in decent condition; you would pull the trigger and buy it immediately if funds were available? For me:

Operations Special Issue #1

Operations Special Issue #3

A Bridge Too Far: ASL Historical Module 6

War of the Ring: The Game of Middle Earth

Kursk: History's Greatest Tank Battle, July 1943
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Hansen
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a huge list of old wargames I want, but I do have a few (some older, most newer) that I'd love to get my hands on but for whatever reason haven't pulled the trigger yet. Cost is usually the issue. Here we go:

A Wing and a Prayer: Bombing the Reich
Available from the publisher, it is on the spendy side. I looked last night and it would be around $80 with shipping. That's a lot to spend on a single game. I would rather pick it up in a trade or on the secondary market. Unfortunately, that secondary market is lacking, and there aren't many copies for trade or sale.

Belmont: Grant's Baptism of Command
Another one that is available from the publisher, but price is an issue. Maybe I'm just cheap (probably), but $45 before shipping for a magazine game? Bit rich for my blood. So, again secondary market or trading for it is my best bet.

SPQR (Deluxe Edition)
What do you know, something actually out of print that I'd love to own. And it looks like a reprint may be coming soonish from GMT. As a big GBoH fan, you can throw a couple others in here like Cataphract.

Blood & Roses
Speaking of Berg series, I'd love to own Blood & Roses to round out my collection of Men of Iron games. Between a generous wargame secret santa and some lucky purchases, this is the only game I'm missing. I have a feeling it will be quite a while before I get my hands on it!

On to Richmond!
Obligatory On to Richmond entry here. Just hoping for a remake/reprint at this point, I'll never be able to (or be willing to) pay the prices this game goes for on the secondary market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike H

Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

to name just a few.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SPI War of the Ring can always be found on eBay. Any edition you want. Usually fairly cheap, unless in mint condition.

I have a copy, the edition with the added mini-games, it's in the "you know you'll regret it if you sell it section" so I could be talked out of it, unlike the items in the "from my cold dead hands" section.

I, too, await the SPQR reprint, but so long as it's on P500 list, i consider that one solved
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike H

Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aesthetocyst wrote:
SPI War of the Ring can always be found on eBay. Any edition you want. Usually fairly cheap, unless in mint condition.

I have a copy, the edition with the added mini-games, it's in the "you know you'll regret it if you sell it section" so I could be talked out of it, unlike the items in the "from my cold dead hands" section.

I, too, await the SPQR reprint, but so long as it's on P500 list, i consider that one solved

It does pop up infrequently but alas it is ebay and Ive sent 3 back that were marked complete but actually missing quite a few components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
turks1966 wrote:

Image is not from the game linked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Fairly modest goals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stoddart
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This may seem like a strange choice to many, but Day of Days: The Invasion of Normandy 1944. It's available new and used but out of my budget.

I should also probably add The Battle for Normandy.

Not that I have the space to play either in full! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McLean
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stodge wrote:
This may seem like a strange choice to many, but Day of Days: The Invasion of Normandy 1944. It's available new and used but out of my budget.

Not strange to me. It's a wonderful game. I got one back during MMP's sale when it was half price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Keizer
United States
Creswell
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kharkov 1941-1943

and

Paulus 6th Army

...are the two on my impossible-or-hard-to-find list at the moment. Normally, the Geekmarket or Noble Knight Games comes through, but not in these cases. Not yet, anyway.

But isn't part of the fun in the looking and searching and, finally, finding?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola S
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably this one for me:

Malta Besieged: 1940-1942

So elusive it is not even on the wishlist of my profile
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola S
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gkeizer wrote:

Absolutely agreed!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gkeizer wrote:
Kharkov 1941-1943

and

Paulus 6th Army

...are the two on my impossible-or-hard-to-find list at the moment. Normally, the Geekmarket or Noble Knight Games comes through, but not in these cases. Not yet, anyway.

Knight's cross of Iron has both Paulus 6th Army and Zitadelle in one box. Hobby Games Boardwork (www.boardwalk.co.jp) still has it available on their website. They show Kharkov 1941-1943 as OOP, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Joyce
United States
Pandora
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Elusive as the Afghan Tribesmen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danjay1 wrote:

Both because they are good and because they sell out relatively fast, Eklund/Sierra Madre games are an auto buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Joyce
United States
Pandora
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only one left for me to pick up. Have the rest.
Yep they are gems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reuben Lam
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric, I wanna help you out!. Geek mail sent on possible trade.

My hard to find:

for those looking for possible trades. Look here: Wargame Traders [USA]. Haves & Wants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Keizer
United States
Creswell
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Westie wrote:

Knight's cross of Iron has both Paulus 6th Army and Zitadelle in one box. Hobby Games Boardwork (www.boardwalk.co.jp) still has it available on their website. They show Kharkov 1941-1943 as OOP, though.

Hey Bob ... Thanks much for the tip! That led me back to Noble, which had -- I thought -- the Knight's Cross of Iron double-pack. Until I realized it had been sold on the 18th, just three days ago. Argh! I'll check out the Japanese store's website again, to see what its price is, what shipping costs, etc.

I knew this thread was going to pay off! Thanks again for demonstrating that wargamers help other wargamers live the dream.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Taylor
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
“... an iron curtain has descended across the Continent.” — Sir Winston Churchill (1946)
badge
So serious...
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzynblue wrote:
My hard to find:

FYI: The GMT P500 list has 411 of the required 500 preorders for Next War: Korea (Reprint Edition). The reprint includes all errata fixed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. H.
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marty S wrote:
danjay1 wrote:

Both because they are good and because they sell out relatively fast, Eklund/Sierra Madre games are an auto buy.

Saw this and Pax Prof. In a Reading (UK) game store... one copy of each. Heart jumped and I snatched them immediately!

As you said, auto-buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wtjBatman wrote:

On to Richmond!
Obligatory On to Richmond entry here. Just hoping for a remake/reprint at this point, I'll never be able to (or be willing to) pay the prices this game goes for on the secondary market.

This.

And

For both the problem is not finding a copy but not having to sell a kidney to be able to afford them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marty S wrote:
danjay1 wrote:

Last year's batch of Sierra Madre titles are on kind of a last call now. Get them while they're still available from the Sierra Madre webshop before Funagain will close shop by end of April. Phil stated that as of now he doesn't know how to take care of the remaining stock in an affordable way and thus they may get destroyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I lost a bid and didn't even bid another time on Downtown after being blown out of the water before the final countdown. I don't think I have seen Infidel for sale. Or if I did it was on a very high buy it now. Or maybe I saw it that time I saw a unicorn playing a harp with Judd there saying he's selling all his Mark Herman games.

The trouble with these two GMT games is I can't help thinking, what if they get a P500 reprint? I don't want to have paid double or so for maybe a lesser version.

I still have stuff to spend on anyway so I think I will leave these two a while at those prices, I have a few gaps still to plug and some nice P500s are coming up. I have a massive unplayed list so no great rush!

Talking of crazy dreams, I sleep with earplugs in usually and my wife was telling me about a massive spider in the bedroom. How she saw it and it ran up to her, leaped at her and tried to bite her.

I said did you get it?

"No!"

Then she carries on and I realise she was talking about a dream.

modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dasher47051 wrote:
Marty S wrote:
danjay1 wrote:

Last year's batch of Sierra Madre titles are on kind of a last call now. Get them while they're still available from the Sierra Madre webshop before Funagain will close shop by end of April. Phil stated that as of now he doesn't know how to take care of the remaining stock in an affordable way and thus they may get destroyed.

I can't imagine it would be hard for Funagain to move whatever leftover SMG stock they had left. Phil's name has a lot of visibility right now, shouldn't be too hard. Link to his commentary about stock left ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Irsik
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blackmeeple wrote:

I lost a bid and didn't even bid another time on Downtown after being blown out of the water before the final countdown. I don't think I have seen Infidel for sale. Or if I did it was on a very high buy it now. Or maybe I saw it that time I saw a unicorn playing a harp with Judd there saying he's selling all his Mark Herman games.

The trouble with these two GMT games is I can't help thinking, what if they get a P500 reprint? I don't want to have paid double or so for maybe a lesser version.

I still have stuff to spend on anyway so I think I will leave these two a while at those prices, I have a few gaps still to plug and some nice P500s are coming up. I have a massive unplayed list so no great rush!

Talking of crazy dreams, I sleep with earplugs in usually and my wife was telling me about a massive spider in the bedroom. How she saw it and it ran up to her, leaped at her and tried to bite her.

I said did you get it?

"No!"

Then she carries on and I realise she was talking about a dream.

:modest:

There was some recent talk (I believe on CSW) that the Men of Iron series might get the "3 in 1" box treatment for a reprint where the first three games will be reissued in one box. They did this with their American Revolution series and are talking about doing it with some of the GBACW series.

As far as Downtown goes, I'm not sure that there will be a reprint as that series seems to appeal to a finite number of gamers. By that I mean the games in the series hit their p500 number, they ship the games, then that's the last you seem to hear about them. My take is that while I own all of the series and they are very good games, the investment in time to learn the system requires repeated playings, which doesn't seem to appeal to too many gamers in this day and age of new games coming out every day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.