Subject: 8 Variant Companies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: variant [+] companies [+] TFM [+] [View All]
John Crowley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Hi all!

I'm working on creating my own corporation with inspiration and assistance from my friends. We really enjoy the game which led me to try my hand at creating some corporations. However, I'm in need of feedback! Still working on tweaking them in balancing, but I've had a blast working on these.

I used the TMaltcorpts.pptx document to make these. I had to create some symbols myself, but it was a super helpful base. You can find the link for the creator below:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1894203/terraforming-mars-a...

Some Harry Potter Musical fans may enjoy the last one.

Galactic Park Updated 3/30

Start: (You start the game with 1 plant production and 40 M€.)
Action/Effect:(Action: Pay 5 M€. Add an animal resource to this card. Effect: Cards with an animal, plant and/or bacteria tag cost 1 M€ less for each animal resource on this card.)
Tag(s): Animal
Flavor Text: Galactic Park seeks to establish the first mega zoo on Mars. By helping with the plant growth, they seek to put a hold on the land they developed. They claim their goal is nothing like Jurassic Park.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
OLD VERSION

Prince$$ Ltd. Updated 3/30

Start: (You start the game with 3 M€ production and 45 M€)
Action/Effect: (Effect: Whenever you decrease any production, you may decrease M€ production instead.)
Tag(s): Earth
Flavor Text: Prince$$ Ltd. seeks to monopolize the red planet's terraforming process through targeted branding of their efforts. Who says money can't buy everything?
OLD VERSION

Symbiotic SystemsUpdated 3/29

Start: (You start the game with 4 steel, 4 titanium, 4 energy and 30 M€.)
Action/Effect: (Action: Execute one of the following trades in any amount. VENUS – Pay 1 steel to gain 1 heat. EARTH – Pay 1 titanium to gain 1 plant. JUPITER – Pay 2 energy to gain 1 titanium.)
Tag(s): Space
Flavor Text: Head of the largest interplanetary trade union, Symbiotic Systems seeks to make their home base on the mineral rich red planet.
OLD VERSION

Milky SkyWay Updated 3/27

Start: (You start the game with 2 energy production and 45 M€. 1 VP for each city you control in the largest connected group on Mars. Cities are connected by player controlled tiles.)
Action/Effect: (Effect: You may spend energy as M€ towards cards with city tags or towards the city standard action.)
Tag(s): Building and Energy
Flavor Text: Milky SkyWay established themselves as a premier goods and personnel shipping service in the void of outer space. Now, they look to diversify their experience on the ever changing red planet.
OLD VERSION

Storyteller Inc. Updated 3/29

Start: (You start the game with 52 M€. 1 VP for every 4 events played.)
Action/Effect: (Action: You may convert an active or automated card you own in play to an event card. Place this card in your event pile, face down. It's effects and tags no longer apply.)
Tag(s): Earth
Flavor Text: This film production company has promised to make an entertaining and informative account of the events leading to the finalized terraforming Mars project. Even if they puts a positive spin on their efforts.
OLD VERSION

Artographer's Collective Updated 3/27

Start: (You start the game with 1 plant production and 44 M€.)
Action/Effect: (Effect: When you place a greenery or ocean tile on a hex that doesn't grant a resource bonus, gain 4 energy.
Tag(s): Energy, Plant
Flavor Text: Merging the beauty of art with the power of natural energy, the collective promises to bring color to the red planet. They seek to avoid the same wasteful mistakes made on Earth to make Mars into a self-sufficient paradise.
OLD VERSION

Technonauts Updated 3/30

Start: (You start the game with 2 robot resources and 45 M€.)
Action/Effect: (Action: Pay 1 steel and 1 titanium. Place a robot resource on this card. When playing an active (blue) card or paying for an action, robots here may be used as payment, and are worth 7 M€ each.)
Tag(s): Science
Flavor Text: Pioneers of modern androids, this company has fond interests of putting their work in extreme conditions. They wish to test and showcase the adaptability and efficiency of their semi-robotic workforce on Mars.

OLD VERSION

The Pigfarts Initiative Updated 3/30

Start: (Start the game with 50 M€. 1 VP for each science resource on this card.)
Action/Effect: (Action: Pay 3 M€ and draw a card. If the card has a Jovian or science tag, you may reveal it and place a science resource on this card.)
Tag(s): Jovian
Flavor Text: Named after a famous Mars university, this initiative looks to record and provide valuable knowledge for the terraforming project. Rumors state they have special powers assisting them. Yet, that's all they are: rumors.
OLD VERSION
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mcgamin

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of the media angle on terraforming mars. Very interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
artographers is nice. Rest is meh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crowley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
DC680 wrote:
I like the idea of the media angle on terraforming mars. Very interesting.

Thank you! I was inspired by one of the original companies: Interplanetary Cinematics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
I automatically disregard any post that contains the word "pigfarts", among others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find some interesting corporations here, But your iconography is totally messed up. You have action arrows on effects and effect colons on actions, and in strange combinations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of these don't make much sense.

Princess is theoretically OK, but how many cards require spending production? AFAIR, it's just the city cards - that require spending energy production.

Milky Way Warriors makes the game no fun at all.

Storyteller is a complicated way to just say, "3 MC discount on every event you play except the first one."

Artographer's seems totally unbalanced - a free Power Plant with every Ocean and every Greenery!

Technonauts is OK, but it's essentially a "slower" version of the Basic corporation. Instead of getting your initial 10 cards for free, you get one or two cards for free each generation.

And many of them don't make much thematic sense, either.

Where did you get the names for all the CEO's? And why bother?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crowley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
orjanalmen wrote:
I find some interesting corporations here, But your iconography is totally messed up. You have action arrows on effects and effect colons on actions, and in strange combinations.

Thanks Orjan. I didn't realize certain icons were specifically used for events and actions. I will take that into account when we work on them in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crowley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Thanks for your notes Mi. I appreciate the feed back. The CEO names were friends of mine since we all enjoyed the game together and wanted to make a few companies of our own. It helped to personalize it for ourselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
why does the text for storyteller say you start with 45, but the icon shows 47?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crowley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
MunchWolf wrote:
why does the text for storyteller say you start with 45, but the icon shows 47?

Thank you Kirk for pointing that out. It should be 47. I thought I had proofread them all closely enough, but I guess I wasn't thorough enough. I'll make that change going forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Clark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:

Princess is theoretically OK, but how many cards require spending production? AFAIR, it's just the city cards - that require spending energy production.

There's Tropical Resort (-2 heat), Food Factory (-1 plant) and numerous power-sapping cards. A slightly different version of the beta Thorgate (which gave you a power production back if you lost any that turn).

I agree that many others are broken or don't make sense, although Symbiotic Systems is more-or-less on a par with Vitor. (in the fact that it wants a weird subset of unrelated cards)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Couch
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve C wrote:
Phil Fleischmann wrote:

There's Tropical Resort (-2 heat), Food Factory (-1 plant) and numerous power-sapping cards. A slightly different version of the beta Thorgate (which gave you a power production back if you lost any that turn).

I agree that many others are broken or don't make sense, although Symbiotic Systems is more-or-less on a par with Vitor. (in the fact that it wants a weird subset of unrelated cards)

I assumed it was also a defensive ability - it you get hit by the various consortiums, you can choose to take it on money. It doesn't make much sense thematically, but it is a useful ability. Likewise not losing plant product from animals.
It does make cities crazy good for them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Archer
United Kingdom
Bunny
Notts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These look good fun overall thanks for posting them where can you download the file for making your own?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crowley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
danger rat wrote:
These look good fun overall thanks for posting them where can you download the file for making your own?

Hi Adam! Here is the forum thread I used: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1894203/terraforming-mars-a...

They have file on it along with some information.

Have a great day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schraut
Germany
Karlsruhe
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Consistent and good Artwork.
Balancing looks surprisingly good for all companies.
But regarding the Effects I only like Prince$$ Ltd.
This really brings something unique and new. Playing the corporation would feel really different. I will take it into my collection, but change it to a Banking Theme. Flavor text including some "there is no problem you can't solve with money" thing.

Milky Way Raiders is unique and special as well, but will seriously piss of other players. I think it would impact the game in a bad way.

Regarding the others. Balancing is ok. Effects will work, but none would feel special.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Archer
United Kingdom
Bunny
Notts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hultgren
Sweden
flag msg tools
Some really fun ideas I must say.
I do worry about game balance. Some of them looks overpowered at a first glance.

+2 titanium and a 3M€ discount on all events (except the first one) seems like a crazy good combo, unless you are very unlucky with the space event cards.

Likewise, getting +1 energy production everytime you place an ocean or a greenery is very generous. Would there even be a reason to buy the energy Standard project with such an effect?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crowley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
RobAntilles wrote:
Consistent and good Artwork.
Balancing looks surprisingly good for all companies.
But regarding the Effects I only like Prince$$ Ltd.
This really brings something unique and new. Playing the corporation would feel really different. I will take it into my collection, but change it to a Banking Theme. Flavor text including some "there is no problem you can't solve with money" thing.

Milky Way Raiders is unique and special as well, but will seriously piss of other players. I think it would impact the game in a bad way.

Regarding the others. Balancing is ok. Effects will work, but none would feel special.

Thank you Robert for your kind comments. I am still working on balancing them, hence my posting of the companies above.

If you play Prince$$ Ltd. let me know how it plays. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crowley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
MasterGnu wrote:
Some really fun ideas I must say.
I do worry about game balance. Some of them looks overpowered at a first glance.

+2 titanium and a 3M€ discount on all events (except the first one) seems like a crazy good combo, unless you are very unlucky with the space event cards.

Likewise, getting +1 energy production everytime you place an ocean or a greenery is very generous. Would there even be a reason to buy the energy Standard project with such an effect?

Thank you Eric for your comments. These are the comments I'm looking for as we play test these corporations.

We got the chance to play Storyteller Inc. yesterday and it played well. We are going to retool the ability to make it more fun. I was trying to go with the ability of dirigibles for the company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crowley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I have made a much of major modifications on the corporations. Please let me know what you think about the updates!

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Clark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Galactic Park now suffers from the same issue that Splice/Replicodon/Microdyne does (an issue that was never fixed, resulting in a revamped weak-as-hell official promo corp) - it can't collect resources itself. (I would say it needs 1VP/2 or 1VP/3 animals on the corp card)

I preferred the old version of Symbiotic Systems (it was a different strategy at least), plus the new version looks fairly similar to Ringcom (a corp in the future Jovian expansion) but with Venus stuff attached.

There was a few corps in the contest that interacted with negative VP cards, the general opinion was that there isn't enough of those cards.

Likewise, I believe there was a corp that allowed steel/Ti to be used for each other's cards, considered to be OP.

Pigfarts is based purely around gambling for points (like an expensive Search for Life), doesn't help you do anything else. (like terraform Mars)

And the warrior corp is still going to be too annoying, not to mention impractical in solo. (there's only 4 neutral tiles to build next to, and many of those spots are not worth building on)

==========

I do like Prince$$, although it won't protect against losing MC production (perhaps they could be immune to that?). Might be worth re-wording it too - something like "whenever you decrease any production, you may decrease your MC production instead".

The idea of gaining resources for building on non-resource spots is a good one too...not sure if power is the way to go though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crowley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Steve C wrote:
Galactic Park now suffers from the same issue that Splice/Replicodon/Microdyne does (an issue that was never fixed, resulting in a revamped weak-as-hell official promo corp) - it can't collect resources itself. (I would say it needs 1VP/2 or 1VP/3 animals on the corp card)

I preferred the old version of Symbiotic Systems (it was a different strategy at least), plus the new version looks fairly similar to Ringcom (a corp in the future Jovian expansion) but with Venus stuff attached.

There was a few corps in the contest that interacted with negative VP cards, the general opinion was that there isn't enough of those cards.

Likewise, I believe there was a corp that allowed steel/Ti to be used for each other's cards, considered to be OP.

Pigfarts is based purely around gambling for points (like an expensive Search for Life), doesn't help you do anything else. (like terraform Mars)

And the warrior corp is still going to be too annoying, not to mention impractical in solo. (there's only 4 neutral tiles to build next to, and many of those spots are not worth building on)

==========

I do like Prince$$, although it won't protect against losing MC production (perhaps they could be immune to that?). Might be worth re-wording it too - something like "whenever you decrease any production, you may decrease your MC production instead".

The idea of gaining resources for building on non-resource spots is a good one too...not sure if power is the way to go though.

Okay, that's a great amount of feedback! Thank you. I'm working on getting all these ideas down so I can get back to trying some playtests.

As for Galactic Park and Symbotic Systems, I had some ideas to change their mechanics (other corps will come later).

Galactic Park
Animal Tag
(Start the game with 40 ME.)
Action/Effect: (Action: Pay 10 M€. Add a Animal resource to this card.
Effect: Cards with an animal, plant and/or bacteria tag cost 1 M€ less for each animal resource on this card.)

Symbiotic Systems
Venus Tag
(As your first action in the game, raise the temperature or Venus one step. Start with 36 M€.)
Action/Effect: (Effect: When you play a card with a Venus, Jovian or Earth Tag, gain a plant resource.)

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crowley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Here is the update to Galactic Park.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crowley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
And here is the updated version of Milky Way Warriors. I've completely retooled the company by getting rid of the PvP mechanic. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.