Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently got the original edition in a trade. When I went to YouTube for some videos I realized there was a later Mayfair edition. However I kind of like the board from the original and I was debating upgrading the components of the original by hand.

Now the real issue is the cards. I see there are some very nice ones uploaded to the files section, but these still have a couple of issues (maybe). First there is some indication of where they are on the map which is good, but you still have to hunt for the position. Second, the cards are color coded by resource type (which is adequate) but I’d almost rather have it spelled out. Third, the 1/2 resources are a problem. Even if you get premium resources, how do you manage to show half resources?

Maybe this isn’t a problem I should try to fix. Maybe I should just print the cards out and craft them. But before I realized there were cards I did two prototypes and I wouldn’t mind showing them and asking some questions about what people think about those existing color cards in the files section and whether they still have problems.

As long as I did these, maybe we can discuss them. I created a box for full resources on the card and 1/2 resources (which will have at most 1 resource in the box). I didn’t intentionally color code the cards (but that’s a good idea). I use the same technique they seem to use in the 2nd edition to show location of the claim.

So what do you think? Am I solving a problem that is already adequately solved?

EDIT: P.S. were I to do these and post them I’d probably need different art for the train or some kind of picture that implies passenger service. This is just there as a placeholder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
David, I suspect the cards you’re looking at are the ones I created. That was many years ago, and you’re certainly free to do with them as you see fit. I liked scenery on the cards, and at that point I was already quite familiar with the geography (having lived in the Rockies for 17 years).

Doesn’t your copy of the game come with 1/2 markers? Mine did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
David, I suspect the cards you’re looking at are the ones I created. That was many years ago, and you’re certainly free to do with them as you see fit. I liked scenery on the cards, and at that point I was already quite familiar with the geography (having lived in the Rockies for 17 years).

Doesn’t your copy of the game come with 1/2 markers? Mine did.

Yes but I kind of hate them! shake I mean they work perfectly well but I'd like to upgrade the components and the 1/2 thing stands in the way.

I lived for 4+ years in Colorado Springs. I worked at Cheyenne Mountain at the time. I know generally where things are, but not every city in the area!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NCMC? I was stationed at Peterson AFB.🙂

The Mayfair edition got rid of the “halvesies “, but I don’t like what they did for the other components.

Note that my mine cards do tell you roughly where they are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
NCMC? I was stationed at Peterson AFB.🙂

The Mayfair edition got rid of the “halvesies “, but I don’t like what they did for the other components.

I lived at Peterson for 4 years working for NORAD from 79-83. I was there when ADC died and was replaced by Adcom and then Peterson was given to SAC and then Space Command was created and it got Peterson back. I even marched in the Space Command parade!

Like what, what did they do to the other components?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s personal preference. If you go through the images for Silverton you’ll see plenty of shots of the Mayfair version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
It’s personal preference. If you go through the images for Silverton you’ll see plenty of shots of the Mayfair version.

I understand but what components did they go the wrong way on? I notice the costs for the 2nd gen map seem odd. I suspect figuring out what a route costs is very different maybe.

I kind of like the 1st gen map better because all the stuff is on the board. Not sure if I need New Mexico or not. The wooden prospectors are OK I guess though I usually am not fond of stickers because they peel off. Resources that look like what they are would be nice, but cubes are ok I guess (and certainly better than super thin counters.

What are your thoughts on it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Whitmore
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if I am butting in. I prefer the original board, as it is large enough to actually comfortably play upon. The Mayfair board has the New Mexico expansion integrated, but the scale they used is smaller. I was always nervous playing on it, as one little jostle of the board might be a giant earthquake to the situation.

Admittedly the (lack of) graphics on the Two Wolf board makes for a spartan experience. I have been tempted by Darrell's redraw for the board, but never attempted to build it. I do use his redrawn cards, which are a nice improvement.

I have been wanting to get back to this game for a long while. You two are inspiring me to make it sooner rather than later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like the crowded Mayfair board, or the Empire Builder-esque card style and thin plastic poker chips. I'm an old school wargamer, so I prefer the counters found in the original.

Yes, the Mayfair version restructured the costs in the game, so the versions are essentially incompatible with each other.

New Mexico is nice to have, for larger numbers of players.

I've toyed with the idea of making Fido sculpts for the resources, but I'm always spending my time on other things - other games and pursuits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I crafted your cards (or am doing it) and since I don't have the New mexico expansion, I have been comparing yours to mine. There are some differences once the New Mexico cards are removed.

1. I have 2 drunk in publics and you have 1. However I'm using the claim jumping card which does the same thing.

2. Crested Butte is 300/100 in your cards and 300/150 in mine.

3. In passengers, 2 of the C cards are missing, Sante Fe to Leadville and Denver to Salt Lake the first for $800 and the second for $2700. You do have a Salt Lake to Santa Fe for $4500 though but that leaves me with 5 C passenger cards. I'm inclined to use yours to craft them. Was there errata that did something I may not know of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s been a long time since I merged in the New Mexico expansion, but yes, I do think there were some cards that were replaced with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I crafted the cards and even did backs. See the report here. https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/238328/item/6044434#item6...

Here is a picture

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice, David!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.