Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

Santorini» Forums » General

Subject: Confused about upcoming editions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
msg tools
I just discovered this game and I keep an eye out year-round for Christmas ideas. From reading in here, I see there's a deluxe edition being worked on that's expected late this year, and expected to run around $70. From another thread:

"We will be doing a limited print run of a deluxe Roxley version available exclusively from our website and at conventions. This will sell for likely $70. It will also feature the Golden Fleece expansion and promos. Availability will likely be late 2018."

That a bit pricey for me, and late 2018 means if there are delays it may not even be out in time for Christmas. I'm looking at this as a Christmas gift idea this year.

I also read in here the Golden Fleece expansion may be getting re-released (spinmaster?), and may include the ocean board:

"We have an expansion nearly complete. If the game continues to sell well under Spinmaster, I assume they will want to continue releasing expansions. The first one they will release is of course the Golden Fleece...The last I heard, the current plan is to release the ocean board included in the Golden Fleece expansion."

So is it wise to wait for now and see what comes out? I hear the Spinmaster edition currently out has cards that don't exactly match the original Golden Fleece expansion (if you can even find it). So I'm guessing if Spinmaster puts out the Golden Fleece expansion, it will likely match the Spinmaster base game better?

Also wondering what the cost separately will add up to. The new Deluxe Edition is expected to include the Golden Fleece expansion and promos for around $70. The current Spinmaster edition is less than $25, plus the promos cost around $15 online. Now add on the cost of the new Spinmaster Golden Fleece expansion, and it may approach the cost of the upcoming Deluxe Edition. But then there's the chance it may be delayed and I miss out on it for Christmas.

Does anyone have any newer information on upcoming releases?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
rilos wrote:
I just discovered this game and I keep an eye out year-round for Christmas ideas. From reading in here, I see there's a deluxe edition being worked on that's expected late this year, and expected to run around $70. From another thread:

"We will be doing a limited print run of a deluxe Roxley version available exclusively from our website and at conventions. This will sell for likely $70. It will also feature the Golden Fleece expansion and promos. Availability will likely be late 2018."

That a bit pricey for me, and late 2018 means if there are delays it may not even be out in time for Christmas. I'm looking at this as a Christmas gift idea this year.

I also read in here the Golden Fleece expansion may be getting re-released (spinmaster?), and may include the ocean board:

"We have an expansion nearly complete. If the game continues to sell well under Spinmaster, I assume they will want to continue releasing expansions. The first one they will release is of course the Golden Fleece...The last I heard, the current plan is to release the ocean board included in the Golden Fleece expansion."

So is it wise to wait for now and see what comes out? I hear the Spinmaster edition currently out has cards that don't exactly match the original Golden Fleece expansion (if you can even find it). So I'm guessing if Spinmaster puts out the Golden Fleece expansion, it will likely match the Spinmaster base game better?

Also wondering what the cost separately will add up to. The new Deluxe Edition is expected to include the Golden Fleece expansion and promos for around $70. The current Spinmaster edition is less than $25, plus the promos cost around $15 online. Now add on the cost of the new Spinmaster Golden Fleece expansion, and it may approach the cost of the upcoming Deluxe Edition. But then there's the chance it may be delayed and I miss out on it for Christmas.

No newer info for you, but I'm very happy to hear that the Ocean Board will be included in the Spin Master expansion. This is the first I've heard of that being the plan. Could you link to those threads that you are quoting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rilos wrote:
The current Spinmaster edition is less than $25, plus the promos cost around $15 online.

Also note, the current promo packs are not all size-matches for each other (or at least, mine weren't). I assume if all reprinted together for an expansion, they would be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
JohnnyDollar wrote:
rilos wrote:

No newer info for you, but I'm very happy to hear that the Ocean Board will be included in the Spin Master expansion. This is the first I've heard of that being the plan. Could you link to those threads that you are quoting?

Absolutely:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1917774/new-reprint-roxley-...

All the quotes I mentioned came from this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
grasa_total wrote:
rilos wrote:
The current Spinmaster edition is less than $25, plus the promos cost around $15 online.

Also note, the current promo packs are not all size-matches for each other (or at least, mine weren't). I assume if all reprinted together for an expansion, they would be.

Ahh, that's a good point. Hmm, it's tempting to buy the 2018 promo pack they are selling for $15, in case you can't buy them later. But, if they aren't going to match the Spinmaster game, then it's kinda frustrating. I'm not sure if the Spinmaster Golden Fleece edition will have the promos. I'm guessing not but who knows? Maybe it will and that would be great. The Deluxe Edition will but again, that $70 is really hitting the high point of what I want to spend, especially all at once. I do have other games I want to buy for Christmas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saxberg
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all!

Couple of clarifications:

The promo pack you are referring to will be included in the Deluxe Edition. It will not be in the Spin Master expansion. It will remain available separately (though we will be outsourcing it).

More details are coming but not yet available. We're still working on the Deluxe edition and improvements to the promo card print process to make everything unified with the Spin Master version going forward. These will be in place probably within a couple of weeks or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mind_ranger wrote:
Hey all!

The promo pack you are referring to will be included in the Deluxe Edition. It will not be in the Spin Master expansion. It will remain available separately (though we will be outsourcing it).

More details are coming but not yet available. We're still working on the Deluxe edition and improvements to the promo card print process to make everything unified with the Spin Master version going forward. These will be in place probably within a couple of weeks or so.

Good to hear. I'll wait on purchasing the promo pack then until we get confirmation that they are unified to match the Spinmaster sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
mind_ranger wrote:
Hey all!

Is there a place we can sign up for the notices of the Deluxe Edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saxberg
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our newsletter link is being repaired... for now, social media. Or the Santorini Facebook group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan the Wired
United States
flag msg tools
In regards to the price, you can get Mechs vs Minions for $75—although that's incredible value for what your getting.

I think all players want is the regular Santorini with the ocean board back and the ability to buy the expansion and promos that match. Not sure it needs the deluxe treatment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
ryanthewired wrote:
In regards to the price, you can get Mechs vs Minions for $75—although that's incredible value for what your getting.

I think all players want is the regular Santorini with the ocean board back and the ability to buy the expansion and promos that match. Not sure it needs the deluxe treatment.

Pretty much this.

I'd be picking this one up to put aside for Christmas. I'm holding off due to the lack of the ocean board, combined with the fact that the current spinmaster set doesn't seem to match the (unavailable) expansion and the promos too well.

If they can get everything synced up, I'd be happy. The deluxe edition is going to be pricey, and I don't know that I can justify that cost.

Now, if the deluxe edition ends up costing not much more than the base game, expansion, and promos added together, then I might go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chenery
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
FIRST WIN
mbmbmbmb
rilos wrote:
ryanthewired wrote:

Pretty much this.

I'd be picking this one up to put aside for Christmas. I'm holding off due to the lack of the ocean board, combined with the fact that the current spinmaster set doesn't seem to match the (unavailable) expansion and the promos too well.

If they can get everything synced up, I'd be happy. The deluxe edition is going to be pricey, and I don't know that I can justify that cost.

Now, if the deluxe edition ends up costing not much more than the base game, expansion, and promos added together, then I might go for it.

Not the best option but I printed out the ocean board myself. Looks pretty sweet. PM me if you need a file. Or take a look on BGG photos that's what I used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
So then what is the "(NEW EDITION)" from Spinmaster that is currently available on sites like Gamenerdz?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far Spin Master has only one edition, which is 'NEW' relative to the original Roxley printing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mlvanbie wrote:
So far Spin Master has only one edition, which is 'NEW' relative to the original Roxley printing.

Thanks. That was throwing me off.

I'm tempted to jump at this for the price, but I also want the expansion, and the promo cards on the site, and from what I understand right now the promo cards might not "sync up" in terms of matching with the current Spinmaster set out there, plus the expansion is out of print currently, so I'm wondering if I should wait until it all comes together.

And it would be for Christmas anyways, so I'm in no rush as long as I get a copy in time to give for Christmas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Yung
msg tools
It seems unlikely the spinmaster expansion would include the ocean board as the current spinmaster middle-piece does not have the pegs to lock a bottom board to it. I guess they could include some sort of clips... Also including ocean board would mean the expansion box would be nearly the same size as the base game.

One workaround for both of these problems is that the ocean board folds in half to fit into a smaller box and has a large diamond-shape cutout to fit the middle-piece into, so it's more of a frame than a board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
badbob001 wrote:
It seems unlikely the spinmaster expansion would include the ocean board as the current spinmaster middle-piece does not have the pegs to lock a bottom board to it. I guess they could include some sort of clips... Also including ocean board would mean the expansion box would be nearly the same size as the base game.

One workaround for both of these problems is that the ocean board folds in half to fit into a smaller box and has a large diamond-shape cutout to fit the middle-piece into, so it's more of a frame than a board.

Why would it need to be locked down, though? When I play with the cliff base as is (minus ocean base), the cliff doesn't slide all around on the game table, it stays there static as we play on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Yung
msg tools
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Why would it need to be locked down, though? When I play with the cliff base as is (minus ocean base), the cliff doesn't slide all around on the game table, it stays there static as we play on it.

There are other reasons. A more secure connection makes it easier to move the whole thing around and some people may prefer to always keep the parts together. And of course better integration would make it look like it was purposely designed for the main game and included as a reward for supporting the game. Otherwise, the consumer may think it's some half-hearted unfinished scrap thrown in and wonder if the package was worth the amount paid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badbob001 wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

There are other reasons. A more secure connection makes it easier to move the whole thing around and some people may prefer to always keep the parts together. And of course better integration would make it look like it was purposely designed for the main game and included as a reward for supporting the game. Otherwise, the consumer may think it's some half-hearted unfinished scrap thrown in and wonder if the package was worth the amount paid.

The only Ocean Base option right now if you have SpinMaster, though, is to print out your own Ocean Base, which also doesn't lock down.

Personally, an Ocean Base in the expansion would probably push me over into the "buy" column, being borderline right now on whether to buy it or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do like your frame idea though, I think that would work! As long as they implement it well so it still looks like the island is rising up out of the sea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
mind_ranger wrote:
Hey all!

Hi Paul, please correct me if I'm mistaken. I have the Roxley Kickstarter version. SpinMaster is going to be the same as what I now have, is that right?

But there will still be a Deluxe edition coming out which is still different from what I have? Is that right?

Thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
JohnnyDollar wrote:
badbob001 wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:

The only Ocean Base option right now if you have SpinMaster, though, is to print out your own Ocean Base, which also doesn't lock down.

Personally, an Ocean Base in the expansion would probably push me over into the "buy" column, being borderline right now on whether to buy it or not.

Then you're in luck, because the Spinmaster edition Golden Fleece expansion is up for pre-order, and it says it includes the ocean board!

"The perfect complement to your Santorini game, the Golden Fleece Expansion provides more depth of play with the Golden Fleece totem, decorative ocean board, additional god power cards, and more!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saxberg
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:

Hi Paul, please correct me if I'm mistaken. I have the Roxley Kickstarter version. SpinMaster is going to be the same as what I now have, is that right?

But there will still be a Deluxe edition coming out which is still different from what I have? Is that right?

Thanks,

It will contain the same characters, if that's what you mean!

New ones are planned for the Deluxe, but I still don't know yet when that will be in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.