Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Stapleton
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was one of the folks that picked up the Print and Play along with the printed game. I have spent the weekend making it and now have 5 plays in since Sunday.

I finally beat the Quest I had attempted 4 times before. There is some strategy and luck with the attack cards. My play style found it important to be able to have a way to modify the die rolled or the monsters attack card.

I highly enjoy the strategy of what die to assign and balancing the wanting to use the stronger abilities with wanting to use lower number die rolls to minimize getting hit.

I was down to my last turn as I would have died the turn after. Looking at what I had and being able to use them in the right order was fantastic! I will say its a good solid game. I have a little concern with some of the templating and rules clarity which prevent me from saying it is great sadly.

I am putting the battle with a photo of the cards after defeating the Boss in the spoiler tag below.

Spoiler (click to reveal)

The First round I selected the Mage and the Priest. We had some great die rolls all 1s and 2s with the monsters having cards all above 4. This made short order of those monsters with out a scratch.

The second round I decided to keep the Mage and then upgrade an ability from the CopyCat (EROM ECNO). The Priest leveled up to the Time Sage.
Again some nice low die rolls and the Mages ability to change the value of his dice was ideal. The Time sage and the Mage also have the ability to Stun the monsters so the counter attack didn't do anything after the first hit and I always got to go first was just great! We also picked up some items when killing the bandits so that was nice.

The third round I again kept the Mage and use Ice Blade from the Swordceror. I also keep the Time Sage and Added the Holy Blade from the Paladin to get in there for the level 3 monsters! Yep they are a TON harder. I did some quick damage with low rolls again and escaped with minimal damage.

Then started the Boss and man 15 health! Wow Man! That put on a beating to get to the second size where he is well geez down to 10 health?? With some of the items gathered by leveling up and from the bandits we could do some additional hits. At this point I am out of attack cards and each turn both hero's take 2 points of damage. Wozers!

At the second round of that I just got the 9 points by using an extra hero action to place a second die and my last item for the last 1 point. Man that was close!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kos blaat
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
What printer settings did u use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stapleton
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't use a standard printer setting for the cards.

I did the following:

I took each of the cards PDFs and resized them to be 2.5x3.5 inches and put them on a page of 9 cards (3x3).

Then printed them on card stock with the printer set to card stock settings.

I used Pages on MacOS to do the Desktop Publishing, resizing coloration.

I have not tried this but it might work to print 9 pages on 1 page to get the 3x3 layout.

The reason I resized to 2.5x3.5 was so they were easy to put in standard sized sleeves as I only printed the front of the cards and used different colored sleeves to represent the different cards.

I hope this helps some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kos blaat
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for explaining. Gluing to existing stock cards saves printing the backs. I printed all cards on 2 rows of 4 cards, front and back. Before that I used pdf cutter and joiner, free online tools. Also got 20 sheets of linen paper to make closed boxes for the quest specific components.
It's my first print and play project and it's immensely satisfying to build a game out of the 100+ pieces of paper.

Could you care to specify what exactly are your rule issues? The rulebook suggests it's super clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stapleton
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly the rules are not consistent with iconography. Some pages use certain types of arrows some use others. There are just some missing things currently.

Simple example the box with the red line so the first attack misses is it the first time for that quest or each round within the quest. It isn't really defined. (I did email the designer it it does take place each round)

A random case with the Time sage and the song Odd Melody. The monsters get an odd attack so they take a damage. Now I swap with the time sages ability with another odd attack. Does it take another damage? (Designer response is no it does not trigger again. Based on attack cards dealt, triggers happen, then the swap happens during the triggers so the "trigger" step/phase already passed).

These are some examples that the rules don't really cover. It just needs some help and some more play testing to flesh out some of the corner cases.

It sadly just has a little bit of a learning curve but the puzzle ness is great. The variations of leveling up is sweet.

I have some presentation issues with how things are currently. That said a message from the designer came out on Kickstarter indicating that the rule book will be revised and I really hope it has some nice changes.

I am some personal things with templating on cards I don't care for. I like for things to happen in the order printed. There are some that have do damage listed first then afterwards it says remove a shield. I find that not organic and requires an extra step to process. I can't think off hand right now but I saw some cards that had some different wording for very similar items. So a little consistency issues.

Life sadly happened and I have not gotten back to it in a little bit. I hope to get back and try out a few more quests. Right now I have several games in but on against 2 different quests with all solo playing 2 characters. Mostly the Mage and then something else. I mean art of a likeness of me is on the kickstarter Mage so I mean I have to use that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kos blaat
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you are a backer, could you post the above in the comments section please?
Hopefully the creator can pick it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stapleton
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a backer. Quite a few people have posted stuff in the comments. At this point the latest KS message says he heard the comments and updates are a coming. What I have posted above I have also private emailed the designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kos blaat
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
Your post inspired me to make my own copy ;-) can't wait to play, but I'm still tinkering with the box design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stapleton
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear it. It is a fun game with a lot of possibilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.