United States
OMAHA
NE
flag msg tools
LONG LIVE SAMMY!
badge
Have you read the Psion series?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious if this exists or if there is a large enough group interested in making it happen in the Omaha area. I may even contact some of the local game shops to see if they know anything about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jacobugath wrote:
I'm curious if this exists or if there is a large enough group interested in making it happen in the Omaha area. I may even contact some of the local game shops to see if they know anything about it.

Our local guild for the Madison, WI market holds two flea markets every year. Typically, before the Christmas season (mid-Nov), and then in May. The game shop where we hold our monthly meetups provides us the free space in the gaming area, which we transform into a marketplace for two or so hours. Space is limited, so there is a sign-up/coordination to be a vendor. The game shop just provides the space and doesn't handle any transactions.

There needs to be one coordinator for the whole thing. You should have publicity/word of mouth to make sure it is worth the vendors time (no buyers makes for a bad day), and a pro-tip.... don't try to sell too much. Perhaps twenty games is more than enough for each vendor. Any more, and its a mess on their space, and nobody buys.. they just move on.

So, I would start checking with local game groups. You will need to be the driving force (energy), so just start collecting interested parties, interface with game shops that are popular/clean/inviting and determine their interest in allowing you to run one. Remember... most of the buyers may not be gamers, and if they are, they may be just getting into the hobby, so make sure the place is nice and inviting, and not an old-school gaming pit.

It is very successful for our guild and something that we have done for several years now.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Gowans
United States
OMAHA
NE
flag msg tools
LONG LIVE SAMMY!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
jacobugath wrote:

Our local guild for the Madison, WI market holds two flea markets every year. Typically, before the Christmas season (mid-Nov), and then in May. The game shop where we hold our monthly meetups provides us the free space in the gaming area, which we transform into a marketplace for two or so hours. Space is limited, so there is a sign-up/coordination to be a vendor. The game shop just provides the space and doesn't handle any transactions.

There needs to be one coordinator for the whole thing. You should have publicity/word of mouth to make sure it is worth the vendors time (no buyers makes for a bad day), and a pro-tip.... don't try to sell too much. Perhaps twenty games is more than enough for each vendor. Any more, and its a mess on their space, and nobody buys.. they just move on.

So, I would start checking with local game groups. You will need to be the driving force (energy), so just start collecting interested parties, interface with game shops that are popular/clean/inviting and determine their interest in allowing you to run one. Remember... most of the buyers may not be gamers, and if they are, they may be just getting into the hobby, so make sure the place is nice and inviting, and not an old-school gaming pit.

It is very successful for our guild and something that we have done for several years now.

Good luck.

Great advice. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wegener
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Yes would be interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Gowans
United States
OMAHA
NE
flag msg tools
LONG LIVE SAMMY!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response. I reached out via email to both major FLGS in Omaha, and neither of them responded. Not sure what to do next except go in and meet them. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wegener
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Maybe speak with Spielbound?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I might be interested, if there is enough response or someone strongly promoting it. It might not be worth driving from Seward to sell one $10 game. Could there be a public library space or other location that would allow a swap meet/gaming flea market like this without charging for the space?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob finkenbiner

Nebraska
msg tools
i am interested in acquiring, working to replace my lost SPI, AH, collection from the 1970's/80's. I know a few folks who might consider selling their limited collections.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wegener
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I am the House Operations director for the German American society. We have a Brettspiel club that meets the first Thursday of the month to play games and talk board games. I can run it across the club to see if it is something that we may want to host. also if you want to come an play board games as well. First Thursday of every month at 7pm until usually midnight.

Scott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Gowans
United States
OMAHA
NE
flag msg tools
LONG LIVE SAMMY!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where do you guys meet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wegener
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
At the German American society on 120th st.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Would be interested in this as well, as my collection has grown, there are a handful of games that I wouldn't mind trading/selling with other people for other games, on top of purchasing other used games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.