Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that if ALL generic crew are SW or KIA, a -1 DRM applies to Mine or Aircraft Encounters.

However the player aid [E-5] relates that if ALL generic crew are SW or KIA, To Hit rolls are +1 DRM.

All of these DRM's are denoted on their respective charts, so I presume all the effects are in play?

Speaking of [E-5], players may find it helpful to note (as a reminder) on the player aid that all Crew Injuries while the boat is submerged are treated as LW when they occur (10.5.1).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Steve,
Both should be in effect. Basically, what this represents is if all generic crew markers are KIA/SW (which is, of course, NOT all the crew) it means you're operating seriously short-handed. This would have negative effects both offensively and in dive time (hence the aircraft mod.)

Hope that makes sense,
Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Super-speedy reply Greg, thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Steve,
Just luck of the draw, I happened to be on

Ian will be fielding most of the questions, certainly the historical ones (he's the WW1 expert, not I certainly) but I'll probably jump in from time to time for game system questions.

I gotta say, though, I'm bumming. Through a slight error MY copy has been delayed a week, lol. At least nobody can accuse Compass of playing favorites!

Hope you're enjoying it,

Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Moore
United States
Waynesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sturmer wrote:
Hey Steve,
Just luck of the draw, I happened to be on

Ian will be fielding most of the questions, certainly the historical ones (he's the WW1 expert, not I certainly) but I'll probably jump in from time to time for game system questions.

I gotta say, though, I'm bumming. Through a slight error MY copy has been delayed a week, lol. At least nobody can accuse Compass of playing favorites!

Hope you're enjoying it,

Greg

Haven´t got mine yet either. My last several packages have had a really nasty habit of sitting in Jacksonville, FL for a week or more. I hope I don´t have to have my local P.O. call down there again to find out what the hell is going on..

Edit: it arrived 8 hrs after my post, so the postal apes didn´t get their hands on this one..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael esposito
United States
morton grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:

Speaking of [E-5], players may find it helpful to note (as a reminder) on the player aid that all Crew Injuries while the boat is submerged are treated as LW when they occur (10.5.1).

Hmm. With these early boats...they were certainly deathtraps. Sounds reasonable that that there would be KIA... however for Hunters and Silent Victory, would concur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Cooper
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mike_espo wrote:
Steve Carey wrote:

Hmm. With these early boats...they were certainly deathtraps. Sounds reasonable that that there would be KIA... however for Hunters and Silent Victory, would concur.

Yeah, it's definitely a point that can be argued either way. My reasoning for putting the rule in Raiders of the Deep was that, otherwise, I felt the game would generate too many individual crew deaths when the boat was submerged. In reality, these were rare, as depth charges were unlikely to kill individuals - I felt it was more likely they would either result in a few mild to moderate blunt force trauma wounds, or they would kill the whole crew due to hull failure. What did tend to be far more deadly (on an individual basis) was being on watch duty while the boat was surfaced during an air/gunfire/ramming attack (or even in bad weather). On the other hand, in cases where U-boats were rammed to destruction or sunk by mines, the watch crew might have a better chance of survival.

But it's definitely debatable. As a designer, I can put forward my subjective viewpoint, but the great thing with all solitaire board games is that, when all is said and done, the player is the ultimate judge and jury: if a rule doesn't seem right to you, by all means plug in your own house rules to make it better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.