Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Achim Zien
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
There's a theory: if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There's another theory: this has already happened.
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this game the other night.

Here's the rules we played by:

One person deals out a card to each player with at least one wine and one poison. Then, each other player has a single chance to either drink (lock in and reveal) their card or swap with another non-revealed card. After all players are done, reveal all the cards. Players with poison are out of the game. Repeat the process with the rest of the players until only one person is left who wins the game.

It did not work with the group. There is only a single person that knows anything: the dealer. Now you have to deduce where they put poison or wine. And think about what other players will think. In principle, that's ok. But there's just so little to base your decision on that the game felt totally arbitrary and I could not see any clever play.

The game fell totally flat. Now, did we miss something or is this just not for our play style?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Soltis
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PiHalbe wrote:
We played this game the other night.

Here's the rules we played by:

One person deals out a card to each player with at least one wine and one poison. Then, each other player has a single chance to either drink (lock in and reveal) their card or swap with another non-revealed card. After all players are done, reveal all the cards. Players with poison are out of the game. Repeat the process with the rest of the players until only one person is left who wins the game.

It did not work with the group. There is only a single person that knows anything: the dealer. Now you have to deduce where they put poison or wine. And think about what other players will think. In principle, that's ok. But there's just so little to base your decision on that the game felt totally arbitrary and I could not see any clever play.

The game fell totally flat. Now, did we miss something or is this just not for our play style?

You are not missing anything. I have played the game around 20 times as of now and definitely see the points you make. I find this game to be best when...

-Looking for a 5-10 minute social filler
-Feeling like I have a good group to talk up the meta-game of a game day/night

Players really do not have agency and if you are looking for a social deduction game with more control/choice, this certainly is not it. This game is less about deduction and more about the social interactions. I do however find it entertaining for something quick and social.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.