Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for tips and strategy advice on playing a Smoke deck. One concern I have for the decklist below, which I assembled, is that the number of breakers is small, making it difficult to get them. Also, what is the purpose of Sacrifical Construct on this deck? Also looking for any other general advice on playing the deck.

This is the decklist, which is a copy of a Russian nationals decklist (I have not played it yet):

EVENT
3 Diesel
3 Dirty Laundry
3 Peace in Our Time
3 Sure Gamble
3 The Makers Eye

HARDWARE
1 Feedback Filter
2 Maw

RESOURCES
1 Beth K
3 Daily Casts
1 Film Critic
3 Net Mercur
3 Sacrifical Construct
1 Turning Wheel

ICEBREAKER
1 Dagger
1 Dai V
1 Paperclip
1 Refractor

PROGRAMS
1 Cloak
1 Equivocation
1 Misdirection
3 SMC
1 Tapwrm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, be aware that this deck is currently not tournament-legal because it contains two cards on the Restricted List: Film Critic and Tapwrm.

It may also not be all that easy to pilot, since many cards are only 1-of and you'll have to recognise in which situation you need what.
Be aware that the Stealth breakers require enough Stealth Credits to operate, so getting out Net Mercur as early as possible is good.

- You get the breakers with SMC. Install an SMC, get enough money and then run one-ICE servers (almost) with impunity. You can install the right breaker with the SMC once the ICE is rezzed.

- The Sacrifical Constructs are for two things: First, of course to save your breakers! Since you only have one of each type (plus the AI, Dai V), if you lose one, you are locked out. There is nothing in that deck which will recur lost breakers from the Heap.
Secondly, and possibly more importantly in many match-ups, they save your Tapwrm when the corp purges virus counters. Personally I am surprised that there is only one Tapwrm in there, considering that there are 3 SacCons, but maybe the deck has enough money otherwise.

- Tapwrm and Beth both combo nicely with Peace in Our Time, since those let you profit from the corp having more money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
Personally I am surprised that there is only one Tapwrm in there, considering that there are 3 SacCons

Maw and Paperclip take a lot of influence. And Tapwrm can be installed via SMC, so you don't need more copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you might if they purge through your SacCon(s)... But yeah, Maw is very influence-heavy.

Edit: Also, you can't get everything with 3 SMCs, considering how many one-off programs this deck has. Depending on the situation, you might need to use SMC for something else.
But looking at it more, I don't really see what to cut for another Tapwrm (2 influence; thought it was just one), so I guess one will have to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can cut the Maws and go 2x Gauntlet. Then you have spare influence for more Tapwrms. I would also drop the Film Critic to make the deck legal. Keep the Sacrificial Constructs. You may also need them against tagging decks with Best Defense to save your Misdirection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RvdH83 wrote:
You can cut the Maws and go 2x Gauntlet. Then you have spare influence for more Tapwrms. I would also drop the Film Critic to make the deck legal. Keep the Sacrificial Constructs. You may also need them against tagging decks with Best Defense to save your Misdirection.
This is an idea, but then it would be a very different deck -- Maw and Gauntlet have vastly different effects on the game!
That being said, I think the Gauntlet is a good console for Smoke as well.

It seems that the OP may be looking to play casually, and in that case, two restricted cards aren't really a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
Well, you might if they purge through your SacCon(s)...
at a certain point, the corp just gives up trying to purge through as it's a massive waste of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RvdH83 wrote:
Gauntlet is not really a replacement for Maw. they do completely different things

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dr00 wrote:
RvdH83 wrote:
Gauntlet is not really a replacement for Maw. they do completely different things

Of course they do completely different things, I didn’t claim otherwise.

And for sure I will purge through your Sac. Cons if I was on a corp that needs a money advantage to win (CtM, most CI, etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dr00 wrote:
Not that completely, both are +MU and HQ attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.