Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Long
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello
Love the game, played a few times...probably wrong.But I have a question regarding commitment.

Is there an easy formula to see how commitment is figured out
Besides some card events and FLN/French actions , how is commitment figured out? How is it calculated?

What are some game actions that lower and raise commitment?

FLN is easy- Opposition + Bases = victory
French support + commitment = victory
How does one calculate commitment?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nightfall 23
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not sure I understand your question but you have as much Commitment as indicated by the Commitment token. This may vary during the game due to things such as bases elimination, events, the France track.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Commitment is set at the beginning of the scenario you are playing.

Commitment is raised by some Event Cards, killing FLN Bases, "bringing the boys home" (transferring French pieces from Available to Out of Play in the Propaganda Round).

Commitment is lowered by some Event Cards, losing Government Bases, the France Track, the use of Torture and OAS capabilities, and "sending the boys Over There" (transferring French pieces from Out of Play to Available in the Propaganda Round).

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In short: No, there is no way to calculate Commitment by looking at the current situation on the map.

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Long
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting----And thanks for the responses
Brian:
I really like that there is no way of calculating commitment
Im just rambling here but that seems like a very historical element to game play
The French never really knew the cultural level of how actions taken in Algeria would reflect the folks at home.

Very good mechanism.

I think Colonial Twilight and Cuba Libre are my 2 favorite COIN games.

Haven't played Pendragon yet and looking forward to All Bridges Burning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot Bob, I am glad you are enjoying these!
There are a few quantities in COIN system games that cannot be calculated from the map, but only read off the track, e.g. Aid.
Warlord Resources is another quantity from ADP that is not calculated off the map and fulfils victory.

Inn Colonial Twilight, the Government has two immaterial components to its victory condition: Support, which is tracked on the map and can be lost or won, and Commitment which is easy to lose and hard to win back.
Meanwhile, the FLN has one immaterial (Oppose) and one material (number of Bases).

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kryspin Trych
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I asked about commitsupport marker? I fully understand how committ level works. But I cannot understand committsupport marker. How can I raise it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quoting the rulebook:
Quote:
1.9 Victory Markers
Similarly track with markers on the Edge Track the following totals
that affect victory (7.0).
Government: Total Support (1.6.2) plus Commitment (1.8).
• FLN: Total Opposition (1.6.2) plus the number of FLN Bases on
the map.

Unfortunately the text "Total Support + Commitment" is a bit too long to fit easily on the counter, so it just says "Support+Commit" instead.

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kryspin Trych
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it means that for every base taken from the map I add 1 support and 1 supportcommitent? That is mine main problem. How to count during the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ghostdog33 wrote:
So it means that for every base taken from the map I add 1 support Commitment and 1 supportcommitent? That is mine main problem. How to count during the game.

Fixed it for you: removing Bases changes Commitment, not Support.

Support+Commitment is exactly what it says: the sum of the current Total Support and Commitment values. Every time you move either the Total Support marker or the Commitnent marker, or both, you also move the Support+Commit marker to match the new sum.

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lind
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostdog33 wrote:
So it means that for every base taken from the map I add 1 support and 1 supportcommitent? That is mine main problem. How to count during the game.

You don't get support when removing bases.

Each removed Base gives you 1 Commitment, mening you can move both Commitment (this is most important) and Support+Commitment one step. But I always control check S+C during scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oerjan wrote:
[q="ghostdog33"] Every time you move either the Total Support marker or the Commitnent marker, or both, you also move the Support+Commit marker to match the new sum.

Regards,
Oerjan

I think there is no Total Support marker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no Total Oppose marker either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.