Simon Strange
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
At level 4 on the research track, I'm getting +4 tech a turn. Nice!

At level 5, I get an immediate 9 tech. Whee!

My question is - does the player at level 5 still get the +4 per turn? Or did they give that up for the immediate 9 tech benefit?

The income track has a similar situation - income on levels 1 to 4, and an immediate gain at level 5. Looking for clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, you lose the income
So better wait till round 6 if possible
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Wait what? Really? Haha oops

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
The iconography is pretty clear: on levels 1-4 it shows the hand (for "income"), on level 5 it shows the star (for "once, and immediately"). It can be pretty annoying to be on level 4 in round 4 or 5 and somebody comes up to the same level - either you forsake the income in the last round(s) and secure level 5, or you take the risk and may find that your competitor grabs it before you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except the extra 4 knowledge is usually at least as good as 4vp. (Since you can convert it to a tech advance that will likely be worth 4vp, plus potential other benefits.) Probably the only time to race for the top before the last round is in a 2p game, or when the other player is your only real rival, or in the rare case that you can't get VP out of another tech step (eg. you're already on top, or at level 4 without a free federation, of every track you've invested in). I'm not saying these situations won't exist, but they're probably easily recognisable when they happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
DocCool wrote:
The iconography is pretty clear: on levels 1-4 it shows the hand (for "income"), on level 5 it shows the star (for "once, and immediately"). [...]

Not only the iconography is pretty clear, but the rulebook itself explicitly warns you.
Rulebook, page 22, Appendix II: Research Board wrote:
Level 5: Immediately gain nine knowledge. Remember that you no longer receive the income from level 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.