Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Maertz
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
You can start the game with 2 Hands worth of items ready. When you Long Rest or any other readying effect, you can Ready up to 2 Hands worth of gear from everything you own.

This would allow you to change up your currently equipped weapons/shields just like characters can do in about every RPG. Some adventures carry alot of weapons!

Wakrob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Greenfly
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just... don't do this. Choose your hand items before the scenario starts and live with the choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfonso M.
Netherlands
Delft
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
It is not important to win, it is important not to lose!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I like that you can realistically only carry so many weapons with you, lest you be crushed by the weight of your arsenal.

I would rather implement a rule such as in Imperial Assault: own as much equipment as you want, but limit what you bring to a scenario to what's 'humanly' possible and leave the rest in your chest at the Sleeping Lion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fre kol
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Indeed, this variant would mess with the distinction (/balance) between consumable & non-consumable items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michele c
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
PonchoLatour wrote:

I would rather implement a rule such as in Imperial Assault: own as much equipment as you want, but limit what you bring to a scenario to what's 'humanly' possible and leave the rest in your chest at the Sleeping Lion!

This is exactly how Gloomhaven works. You can own as many items as you want, but you have only a limited number that you can equip during a scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And whilst we're at it, why don't we include a variant where you can swap out ability cards mid round too?

Or swap out battle goals if the one you have suddenly seems too hard?

Or characters?

Or monster types?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as it was limited to items that can be readied with a long rest, then maybe. Far too abusable for things that are consumed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Brooks
United Kingdom
Rugby
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CptBlood wrote:

Wow. My left thigh is twinging in sympathy for what the spikes of the head of that morning star are doing to him, and I don't want know what happens as the handle bounces between his legs. And given how the spears are able to float, unstrapped, somewhere behind him, you'd imagine he'd have them somewhere he could actually reach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PhilGreenfly wrote:
Just... don't do this. Choose your hand items before the scenario starts and live with the choice.

Hm... I think "not doing this" isn't much of a Variant. Maybe you should post your idea in the General forum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Maertz
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I expected some resistance but geeesh...this would be a very minor advantage.
You might own a 2 handed range weapon and a 1 handed sword plus 1 handed shield.
You could, for example, start the scenario with the ranged weapon ready (the others 'pre-spent') and during a Long Rest, Refresh either the ranged weapon or switch to the sword and board. This would only be Spent hand items NOT Lost items. It wouldn't even be cost effective. The only reason it came up in our game was from rewards.

Every D&D campaign ever players have sheathed their sword and pulled out a bow during battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't dislike the idea. Maybe make it so you can take four hands worth of stuff, but only ready two hands worth?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
It would still invoke alot of problem with classes like 3 spears or saw...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A thematically appropriate drawback for doing this could be to add a -1 to your deck per extra hand you bring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:
A thematically appropriate drawback for doing this could be to add a -1 to your deck per extra hand you bring.

Ooh, I quite like that. It would certainly make that perk more appealing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CptBlood wrote:

Every D&D campaign ever players have sheathed their sword and pulled out a bow during battle.

You're free to play it how you want, but you're undermining a decision players ahould be making prior to the round. Gloomhaven is very much rules first, theme second and you seem to be forgetting that.

Also, if you want to play D&D rules then... play D&D?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Greenfly
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CptBlood wrote:

Funny thing is the ABILITIES themselves also represent, among skills that the characters possess, equipment they have with them. For example, have you read some of the the Scoundrel ability titles? Swift bow? Hidden knives? Throwing dagger?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Marney
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I like this idea, but I'd say that to prevent abuse, you can't swap out a consumed item. If you've used a Battle Axe, you only have 1 hand worth of things you can swap in or out for the rest of the scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What about the imbalance between long/short rests? You're giving yet another advantage to long rests in this case. And, that then effects some battle goals (only long rest vs only short rest for sure, maybe a few others)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.