Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Railroad Rivals» Forums » General

Subject: Five Color Blind Friendly Colors that are NOT black and white or gray? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glenn Drover
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The subject of color blind friendly colors came up recently on one of our Facebook threads.

There are five player colors in Railroad Rivals, and we'd like to make sure that we are color-blind friendly...What are five GOOD colors that are color blind friendly. (Black, White, and Gray are a bit dull, what are five better options?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I'm not color blind, I love the player colors shown on the Kickstarter page. They are the favorite colors of family members who play games with me. Please adjust hues as needed to make the game color blind friendly, but please don't discard any of the colors.

My wife loves blue and will play the blue pieces whether they're hers or not. My older son and daughter-in-law love green. My younger son likes black. One of my nephews likes red, and I have adopted yellow as my player color of choice.

Maybe you could have an add-on for some more player pieces in other colors or different hues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hahn
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Conventional wisdom says that the best color choices are black, grey, white, blue, and yellow.

Often overlooked though is the possibilities in picking textures or icons. If you go this route your color choices get easier (you can pick some of the other colors)

* edited to add: I was focusing on graphic design but forgot to say something about the cubes. If you’re looking to make those more accessible consider using a variety of shapes like cylinders, extruded octagons, and extruded trapezoids for the goods.

Finally don’t be afraid to make things bigger! Not everyone can resolve details as well as you (even if you can’t see so clearly either)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
As a designer who's had to make countless accessible websites and print designs, you're going to have a hard time finding five that do not include the values of black and white.

The "best" three colours besides black and white are probably a dark red, a medium blue, and a bright yellow. For a fourth colour consider bright pink, and grey for the fifth.

Any shade of green is a problem, as are the colours brown and purple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Mann
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Near the end of the page there are some useful palettes along with how they may appear to those with color blindness

http://mkweb.bcgsc.ca/colorblind/img/colorblindness.palettes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Drover
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
These are super helpful. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
DaveyJJ wrote:
As a designer who's had to make countless accessible websites and print designs, you're going to have a hard time finding five that do not include the values of black and white.

The "best" three colours besides black and white are probably a dark red, a medium blue, and a bright yellow. For a fourth colour consider bright pink, and grey for the fifth.

Any shade of green is a problem, as are the colours brown and purple.

Quite right. Stay away from those three colours. Dark blue and light blue together also works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.