The 7th Continent» Forums » Rules

Subject: Drawing from the discard pile rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nauran R
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
I just read the rules and I'm a bit confused about the discard pile. So if your action deck is empty, you reshuffle all the cards drawn in an action back into the pile. Does this mean your chances to stay alive very long are quite high, if you do cheap actions only?
Of course you can't do wandering around forever, but just to make clear...whistle
And the bold randomly word, in "drawing from the discard pile randomly", is just confusing and nothing else right?

Thanks for your help. I am very excited to have my first adventure on the 7th continent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nauran wrote:
Hello,
I just read the rules and I'm a bit confused about the discard pile. So if your action deck is empty, you reshuffle all the cards drawn in an action back into the pile. Does this mean your chances to stay alive very long are quite high, if you do cheap actions only?
Of course you can't do wandering around forever, but just to make clear...whistle
And the bold randomly word, in "drawing from the discard pile randomly", is just confusing and nothing else right?

Thanks for your help. I am very excited to have my first adventure on the 7th continent.

Yep. If you're only drawing one card you're bound to be fine! I mean, what are the chances?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sesta
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You've got the rules and odds thoughts right. Don't forget the part where each time you perform an action, during the discard step you shuffle the action cards back into the discard pile. So it's essentially randomized each time you perform an action when you're in sudden death mode.

Hope you enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyp Ganner
Belgium
flag msg tools
Even drawing one card from the discard pile is very bad for your heart. I advise against it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nauran R
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much!!
Great to have some quick and good answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ganner wrote:
Even drawing one card from the discard pile is very bad for your heart. I advise against it.

Especially after you spent 10 hours over three gaming sessions to get to that point!

But that tension is one of the things I love about the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Hinrichsen
msg tools
mbmb
If you then recover cards by for example eating would you pull cards out of the current action deck (discard pile) and restart as usual?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McArthur
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time I ever had to draw from the discard pile, it was a single action card draw - and I drew a curse! Arg! The temptation at that point to cheat is very, very strong... I'm proud to say I didn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McArthur
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sp3c1 wrote:
If you then recover cards by for example eating would you pull cards out of the current action deck (discard pile) and restart as usual?

Yes, as soon as you have a regular action deck again, you stop pulling from the discard pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Hinrichsen
msg tools
mbmb
robmcarthur2001 wrote:
sp3c1 wrote:

Yes, as soon as you have a regular action deck again, you stop pulling from the discard pile.

My question was actually more around if I could go back from discard to action but the answers answers this as well. Sorry for being unclear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
robmcarthur2001 wrote:
The first time I ever had to draw from the discard pile, it was a single action card draw - and I drew a curse! Arg! The temptation at that point to cheat is very, very strong... I'm proud to say I didn't.

Omg so true. I could never play this solo or I would definitely have cheated. XD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogrecrusher wrote:
Nauran wrote:
Hello,

Yep. If you're only drawing one card you're bound to be fine! I mean, what are the chances?!

Based on our experience, if your name is Dan: 100%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Mallet
Switzerland
St-Blaise
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robmcarthur2001 wrote:

I'll receive the game today or tomorrow and that is my main concern. I hope I'll be strong enough not to cheat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hollow
msg tools
mb
galfridus wrote:

Based on our experience, if your name is Dan: 100%.

I can chime in on this: definitely not 100%!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.