David Ekberg
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
From GMT's monthly update:

Expanded 2nd Edition and Update Kit for Red Winter. WWII Operational gamers rejoice! Designer Mark Mokszycki has created an entire new battle for Red Winter! It's the battle of Kelja, and adds a full-size map, counters, and playbook to the game!

We're going to offer this battle in two formats:

1. As part of the full Expanded 2nd Edition of Red Winter. Red Winter 2nd Printing has been on the P500 Reprint list for a while now (at $50/$35), and currently has 280 orders. Because we don't want to delete this item and start the P500s again from scratch, we're going to increase only the retail price (to $55) on this game, and include all the new battle components for you P500 folks at no additional P500 cost! So, essentially you P500 supporters are going to get a free battle out of the deal.

And, again because the logistics of tracking two separate P500 prices is a pain, we're going to extend that same deal ($35 P500 pricing) to everyone who orders the Expanded 2nd Edition via our P500 page. So, hopefully, a bunch of you guys will order, get a great game at a massive bargain price, and we can get enough extra orders to print the expanded game soon.

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-487-red-winter-expanded-2nd-editio...

2. As a separate Red Winter Expanded 2nd Edition Update Kit. This kit will include the following:

1 x double-sided map
1 x counter sheet
1 x RuleBook (24 pages)
1 x expanded Playbook (64 pages)
1 x Kelja Playbook (36 pages)
2 x Identical new Player Aid Cards
1 x ziplock

P500 $16.00 Retail $25.00

To order, just click the link below:

Red Winter Expanded 2nd Edition Update Kit

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-705-red-winter-2nd-edition-update...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Somewhat related to this announcement,
Dan Urdzik
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

is doing a solotaire full video playthough of an entire scenario of Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939 (original Tolvajarvi map). I believe this will be the only videoplay through of an entire scenario posted anywhere, when completed. (As of this writing, only the Setup video is posted but the others will be forthcoming).

Fantastic game made better by an additional map!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baron Swodeck
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One of my favourite games is getting better. I ordered a second edition immediately!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
luvmywife wrote:
I believe this will be the only videoplay through of an entire scenario posted anywhere, when completed. (As of this writing, only the Setup video is posted but the others will be forthcoming).

Fushigitv has done an excellent series of Red Winter "Turning the Tide" scenario play-through videos.
https://youtu.be/7fN9LNHuZaE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My full P500 description of the new Kelja battle should appear at the GMT site and/or in their newsletter some time in April. Hopefully some screenshots of the new map will follow that shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Zadiraka
United States
Holland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And $16 when pre-ordered! An amazing price. No other company would sell it for so little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radz wrote:
And $16 when pre-ordered! An amazing price. No other company would sell it for so little.

Bou yeah, insta-buy. ordered! Looking forward to more details
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danni Durante
Canada
Etobicoke
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup... insta-ordered!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like the P500 text is now posted. http://www.gmtgames.com/p-487-red-winter-expanded-2nd-editio...

For those too lazy to click on the link, here it is:

Expanded 2nd Edition Overview

This 2nd edition game is more than just a reprint of the 2012 CSR Award winner for best WW2 boardgame. It features an all-new battle, complete with its own map and countersheet.

The Battle of Kelja (December 25-27, 1939) now compliments the original Tolvajärvi battle. Kelja presents a challenge that is unique to the game system but certainly not the Winter War: a large-scale river crossing. The length of the new map is bisected by a wide, frozen river that functions as a frozen lake. The overstrength Soviet 4th Rifle Division, with five infantry regiments under its command, must establish a beachhead from which to launch attacks on the Finnish 10th Division. Opposing the crossing is a loose system of forts and roughly two tenacious battalions of Finnish infantry. The defenders are initially overwhelmed but reinforcements are on the way.

Kelja is a logical fit for the game system in terms of length and scale. At three days, it provides a shorter play experience than the five-day Tolvajärvi battle. The unit density is only moderately higher than that of the previous battle but still limited to a single countersheet, and the featured river crossing offers a unique game situation, providing both players with plenty of decisions and challenges.

The Soviet player must choose the number and location of his crossings. Historically, the Soviets opted for a four-pronged, simultaneous attack, plus a (fifth) diversionary prong, but the game allows the Soviet player to experiment with nearly any deployment and crossing strategy. Once established, the Soviet beachheads must be continually supplied and reinforced if the Soviets are to break out of their “motti” and capture their objectives: several key forts, towns, and roads. Heavy artillery and even a handful of tanks are on hand to support the Soviet effort.

The outnumbered Finns must scramble to prevent a Soviet breakout while using their heavy machine guns and artillery to whittle away at the near-constant stream of Soviets crossing the ice. As reinforcements arrive to bolster the Finnish strength, they must be guided to the appropriate “hotspots.” The Finnish player must continually weigh the need to do several things at once: mount a forward defense by blocking the Soviet beachheads, defend in depth by digging-in behind the current frontline, launch spirited counter-attacks to stall Soviet breakouts or destroy smaller pockets, and delegate an appropriate number of troops to shore duty to stall the near-constant movement of fresh Soviet reinforcements across the ice.

Lest the battle become a “one trick pony,” plenty of options are available to both players, including variable unit setups, multiple victory conditions, variable reinforcement units, and smaller scenarios including some hypothetical situations.

Red Winter veterans will find a new set of challenges awaiting them in Kelja, while newcomers will benefit from the battle’s straightforward nature. Kelja strips away some of the special rules from the Tolvajärvi battle (bonfires, night raids, the Pajari leader) and offers a more streamlined alternative to the previous battle. While not intended as a replacement for Tolvajärvi, and lacking some of that battle’s dynamics, Kelja compliments the former battle by offering players a fresh alternative with its new map, unique tactical considerations, shorter play time, and multiple scenarios.

The following text describes the original Tolvajärvi battle which is also included in this edition.

[...]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you comment on the rules additions/changes? I love Red Winter, but Operation Dauntless was too much for me; if the rulebook has only grown by a few pages (and presumably one of those is the new counter sheet?) then it'll be a lot closer to 1st edition Red Winter than Operation Dauntless?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for asking, Rusty.

The new Kelja battle uses the same rule book as Red Winter--not Operation Dauntless. Some of the rules specific to Tolvajärvi--like bonfires, night raids, and Pajari--will be absent. In their place, there are a couple of new terrain types (clear, town), Soviet beachheads (basically just supply hexes that are placeable by the Soviet player), and Finnish forts.

The Kelja battle is basically handled as a new, large scenario in the playbook. The rule book itself will remain unchanged except for the incorporation of a few errata items, typo corrections, and clarifications. The rules changes for Kelja (the additions as as well as omissions) will appear with that battle in the new playbook.

Just to be 100% clear: The main things that separated Operation Dauntless from Red Winter--the Armor Reaction Cycle, Concealment, Elevation, Friction Fire, Tactical Advantage, and the myriad of specialty units with special functions--do not appear in Red Winter 2nd edition whatsoever. Kelja is basically just a new set of scenarios with their own map, countersheet, and unique tactical considerations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
"We don't see things as they are, but as we are." Anais Nin
mbmbmbmbmb
No brainer.

Do I want MORE Red Winter????

Ummm, why WOULDN'T I????????? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duckweed wrote:
The rule book itself will remain unchanged except for the incorporation of a few errata items, typo corrections, and clarifications. The rules changes for Kelja (the additions as as well as omissions) will appear with that battle in the new playbook.

Perfect, thanks; preordered!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ekberg
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Will Kelja have Friction Fire as standard or optional? Seems like with so much ice crossing it might be mandatory?

A suggestion for the 2nd edition rule book is to perhaps clarify the loss/retreat rules, which seems to be what gives most trouble for new players, in an otherwise exemplary written rule set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bear
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
For your health!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this a mounted map?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Dano
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Engelbrekt wrote:
Will Kelja have Friction Fire as standard or optional? Seems like with so much ice crossing it might be mandatory?

A suggestion for the 2nd edition rule book is to perhaps clarify the loss/retreat rules, which seems to be what gives most trouble for new players, in an otherwise exemplary written rule set.

That's the one optional rule that I always want to use in RW as well, even though there aren't always a lot of opportunities to in that terrain.

Here's a great run through of the battle btw -

http://www.winterwar.com/Battles/Kelja.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Kelja is still in the playtesting stages so I can't say for sure how the final rule will work, but I am currently using the following rule in lieu of Friction Fire:

25.3 Soviet River Movement
Soviet non-armored units pay 1 additional MP to enter any frozen river hex that is within range and LOS of a Finnish combat unit, including forts (with “range” referring to the printed range of the Finnish unit).

Of course, players are welcome to use the optional rule for FF and, if they do so, they will be instructed to ignore 25.3.

Quote:

What do you feel needs to be clarified? I wasn't aware that any aspect of the rules was giving new players trouble.

Quote:
Is this a mounted map?

No, it's a standard paper map but it's double-sided with the original Tolvajärvi battle on one side and Kelja on the other.

Thanks for posting the winterwar.com link, Cole!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ekberg
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
duckweed wrote:
Quote:

Kelja is still in the playtesting stages so I can't say for sure how the final rule will work, but I am currently using the following rule in lieu of Friction Fire:

25.3 Soviet River Movement
Soviet non-armored units pay 1 additional MP to enter any frozen river hex that is within range and LOS of a Finnish combat unit, including forts (with “range” referring to the printed range of the Finnish unit).

Of course, players are welcome to use the optional rule for FF and, if they do so, they will be instructed to ignore 25.3.

Quote:

What do you feel needs to be clarified? I wasn't aware that any aspect of the rules was giving new players trouble.

I like that river movement rule, easy and does the job.

For me and my opponents, and I think I've seen not a few posts about it here on BGG as well, there was a need for clarifications on the crucial matter of step losses and retreats. Some more examples dealing with different situations might be enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bear
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
For your health!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Mark!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danni Durante
Canada
Etobicoke
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

For me and my opponents, and I think I've seen not a few posts about it here on BGG as well, there was a need for clarifications on the crucial matter of step losses and retreats. Some more examples dealing with different situations might be enough.

This doesn't really help identify what problems you are having with the step/loss rules. Perhaps you can give a scenario of a situation you would like explained.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David, can you provide some sample situations, like Danni suggests? I'd be happy to add more examples if I know what to address. My increased page limit makes that very possible.

I'm quite certain that I receive more questions about road movement, bonfires, and Pajari than assigning losses, so any additional feedback here would be helpful. For example, do you feel that you and your fellow gamers are experiencing a general sort of confusion due to my choice of language in the loss rules, or is there a particular situation that's proving tricky?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ekberg
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
duckweed wrote:
David, can you provide some sample situations, like Danni suggests? I'd be happy to add more examples if I know what to address. My increased page limit makes that very possible.

I'm quite certain that I receive more questions about road movement, bonfires, and Pajari than assigning losses, so any additional feedback here would be helpful. For example, do you feel that you and your fellow gamers are experiencing a general sort of confusion due to my choice of language in the loss rules, or is there a particular situation that's proving tricky?

Sorry for not being more detailed, I wrote hastily. Maybe it was just me, and it's been a while since I played the game, but I remember situations with retreats through ZOC combined with retreat limits, and the resulting step losses, which for new players was hard to get. The rules are good but the relevant parts are spread out. So perhaps some more examples which deal with extreme situations and options. The example on page 10 is great, and could be continued with the effects of ZOCs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, David. I'll try to add an additional example or two that combines retreats with eZOC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Dano
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
When I first read the rules, the hardest thing for me to grok was the different types of fire/attacks, specifically ranged and support fire.

Maybe a summary chart of all types would help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestion, Cole. I'll refer back to this thread when incorporating the new material.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.