Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently, the BGG rating system is based on both the quality of the game and the desire to play it. It’s always been a ridiculous notion, but these new disposable games completely break it.

I feel EXIT is a fantastic game and would recommend it to anyone, but I would never, ever play it again. Do I rate it a 10? Maybe I should rate it a 1, since the game is literally broken (after it is played, it is in pieces).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't that also kinda true for Legacy Games? Pandemic Legacy is #2 whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
The rating system has been broken for a long time by people who rate games before they have even played them:

10 - This game looks great! Can't wait to play it!

or for the sole purposes of counteracting other people's ratings:

1 - Rated to offset all the 10s

We might as well let Exit and Legacy games break it as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter De Carvalho
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'd say do what many people already do, rate the exit games as a series, and give that a number based on how likely you are to play another one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago Conde
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that the ratings do not have any particular meaning. It's up to the users to use it as they please. The tooltips over each value are just suggestions.

And this has been stated over and over since the beginning of BGG, so it's hard to see how the EXIT games, or any other type of game, could possibly break it.

If you feel that you need to elaborate on your rating, do it in the comments. I like to think that any BGG user will go through the comments to really get relevant info about a game instead of just relying in the bare numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does something with no value have any less value when broken?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
Common sense says you should rate it a 10. You love it. Rate it as if it were in pristine shape, with the knowledge of what happened wiped from your brain, but with you still having the memory of how much fun you had.

The ratings guidelines are just that, guidelines, and sometimes need to be modified by game type or just your own personal whim.

As for the game ratings being broken, they're broken every week. They are totally useless every week. They're totally rigged every week. Or at least that's what people keep on saying. Nevertheless, people keep on using them every week, people keep on finding value in them every week, they keep on keeping on every week.

As for Exit games? They're current getting an average of between 7 and 7.7, depending on the game. Those are pretty solid numbers. (Hmmm, maybe I should get one?) So it seems that the broken system hasn't led to everyone giving them a 1. Common sense has prevailed, hallelujah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I think "can only be played once" is an enormous flaw in a game...so why not start with a high rating and then knock off several points for the lack of replayability?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
Currently, the BGG rating system is based on both the quality of the game and the desire to play it.
I don't now what percentage of users actually adhere to the suggestions given by the site, but I'd estimate it's fewer than 1 in 4.

Pete (would rate almost all of his games a 10 if he did, because he almost always enjoys playing any game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Ra
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Interesting
badge
Dance Dance Dance
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Well, I think "can only be played once" is an enormous flaw in a game...so why not start with a high rating and then knock off several points for the lack of replayability?

Then wouldn't you have to add s point or two for price? Not like these one and done are expensive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
I've been rating the Escape Room games a little differently than the BGG scale (I'm the 1 outta 4 who uses it as described). I've been rating them based on how fun they are and compared to the other games of the type I have played. Now that I have played at least one game from three different systems I feel like my ratings are working.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb
Exit is broken? Get outta heŕe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Gambone
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played PL 1 through twice, and would happily play through it a third time if I had another group to play it through with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Gambone
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I played PL 1 through twice, and would happily play through it a third time if I had another group to play it through with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan L
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phogg wrote:
Exit is broken? Get outta heŕe!

I can’t get out - the door is locked and I can’t figure out the puzzles to unlock it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
The rating system has been broken for a long time by people who rate games before they have even played them:

Yep. Even more reason to read the Personal Comments. Closest thing on BGG to an unbiased opinion of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno
United States
Farmingdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can’t break something that is already broken.

On the other hand, I think these escape & legacy games are probably the best thing that could have happened to BGG ratings!

I hope we can now shift to rating games based on “Hey, this is a really neat game that I can recommend” and move away from the actual “I woke up this morning and I am no longer in the mood to play yesterday's new shiny hit game”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Prothero
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think rating one EXIT an 8 and another a 6 implies that you liked that first one better.

I think ratings are about information for the next person making a purchasing decision.

Am I wrong on that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno
United States
Farmingdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
protherj wrote:
I think rating one EXIT an 8 and another a 6 implies that you liked that first one better.

I think ratings are about information for the next person making a purchasing decision.

Am I wrong on that?

That’s absolutely how I see it too.

However, BGG ratings are not meant to be used like that here, as per the description of each rating, 1-10 is basically a measure of how the person rating the game is likely to play the game again.

So, for example, followers of the Cult of the New, are encouraged to down rate games routinely to capture that they have moved on to the latest fad.

To your point, this is useless information to the next person making a purchasing decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
People making problems where there are no problems...

teg2 wrote:
protherj wrote:

Am I wrong on that?

That’s absolutely how I see it too.

However, BGG ratings are not meant to be used like that here, as per the description of each rating, 1-10 is basically a measure of how the person rating the game is likely to play the game again.

Meant? By whom? The BGG ratings widget offers some pop-up suggestions. BGG says, in many places, you don't have to follow those suggestions. They're just suggestions. Moreover, the suggestions include both judgement of the game's quality ("Good") and how you might feel about future plays ("Usually willing to play"). You can use the quality suggested guideline, or the future desire suggested guideline, or neither. It's up to you. There is no "meant."

teg2 wrote:
So, for example, followers of the Cult of the New, are encouraged to down rate games routinely to capture that they have moved on to the latest fad.

To your point, this is useless information to the next person making a purchasing decision.

Except in practice most people don't do that. They rate the game on a vague "how good a game do I think it is" scale. We know this because we can look at Exit games and see that this is exactly what happens:
Quote:
Rating 8 - "The easiest and best of the two Exit games I have played. My 9 year old son and I played this one and finished in a reasonable amount of time with little help and a decent score. It was fun to play and I hope there are others with similar complexity and puzzle style."
Quote:
Rating 9 "My favorite of the bunch. Very clever solutions. I will keep buying these in hopes of another just like this."
Quote:
Rating 9.1 "This series of one-shot escape games provide a similar kind of puzzle solving as seen with real escape rooms and are very creative in their puzzles. There's not enough here to justify the full player count though; 2 or maybe 3 players is enough. I would recommend that they are played in the following order: Abandoned Cabin, Secret Lab, and then Pharaoh's Tomb."

Nobody who liked the game (as judged by those who gave comments) rated it a 1 or a 2 because they were never going to play it again.

This is a thread in search of a problem which isn't happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno
United States
Farmingdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
People making problems where there are no problems...

Except in practice most people don't do that. They rate the game on a vague "how good a game do I think it is" scale. We know this because we can look at Exit games and see that this is exactly what happens:
Quote:
Rating 8 - "The easiest and best of the two Exit games I have played. My 9 year old son and I played this one and finished in a reasonable amount of time with little help and a decent score. It was fun to play and I hope there are others with similar complexity and puzzle style."
Quote:
Rating 9 "My favorite of the bunch. Very clever solutions. I will keep buying these in hopes of another just like this."
Quote:
Rating 9.1 "This series of one-shot escape games provide a similar kind of puzzle solving as seen with real escape rooms and are very creative in their puzzles. There's not enough here to justify the full player count though; 2 or maybe 3 players is enough. I would recommend that they are played in the following order: Abandoned Cabin, Secret Lab, and then Pharaoh's Tomb."

Nobody who liked the game (as judged by those who gave comments) rated it a 1 or a 2 because they were never going to play it again.

This is a thread in search of a problem which isn't happening.

Read my previous post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teg2 wrote:

Read my previous post.

I did. I disagree. I don't think the ratings system is "broken." I think it works reasonably well as a game rating system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rating system is only a problem if you follow it literally. And hardly anybody does. Many, many more people start threads complaining that the rating system is broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzer wrote:

To be fair, that's because people completely overrate Pandemic Legacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno
United States
Farmingdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, maybe we need to agree to disagree on that.

Hey, look, I’m pretty sure that plenty of people use the ratings as we both think is the right way to use them (i.e. some sort of scale of how good a game is).

But there is also enough chatter in the forums and in the game comments themselves of people down rating games because they cannot get the game to the table anymore (can’t get buddies interested to play), the game didn’t age well, the game is no longer fun/challenging, the game is not getting new expansions, etc.

My point, it is a thing here, supported by many, encouraged by the rating guideline tips and source of the many discussions we’ve been having on the rating system for years.

So, no denying there is a problem with the ratings and maybe, just maybe, this wave of play-once games is challenging how we as a community think about it.

Cheers!

skutsch wrote:
teg2 wrote:

Read my previous post.

I did. I disagree. I don't think the ratings system is "broken." I think it works reasonably well as a game rating system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.