21 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: This settlement's done for, so what's next? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

First: no, this is not gonna be a rant

Okay so I've pushed my settlement until Butcher lvl 2 and some bad luck (namely, drawing an impervious HL card - I was one hit away of getting him) prevented me from surviving the fight. I'm down to two female survivor and 1 retired male survivor so I'm probably dead there. I don't know if I'll play the fight or not, but given no rerolls left and SotF I see no way out.

It pains me to lose this settlement because it was beginning to sprawl in a good way. I had a weapon mastery, 4 complete set, but still no surge and that's probably why I'm down here. Anyways.

I wonder what to do next. I don't like adding expansions until after I've beaten a game, and I've made steady progress here in luck reduction and rules mastery (although I've still very confused by some rules and special cases) and see more ways to improve. But I can't really see myself starting a new campaign without them either. As much as I want to min-max on lion/antelope/phoenix stuff, I does get tiresome to hunt the same two prays, and phoenix is just too risky for what it brings. Too bad too because I wanted to try my newly innovated song of the brave but eh.

So, should I swallow the pill and try to get GSK over and again until I beat him? Or would it get old and I should instead focus on the expansions of death? I think Fen told me to try People of the Stars (was it stars?) as something that could interest me more. But wouldn't that be admitting defeat to the likes of King's Man and GSK?

On average, how many tries did it take to beat the crap out of the Watcher, or GSK if you beat 1.5 as your first campaign?

So far I've opened but not assembled Gorm and Spidicules. I don't have enough sleeves for 2 more expansions and can't restock ATM. I'm not gonna assemble before 2 weeks probably anyway as I'm doing the Watcher and need to make room too, so you have time to answer

While I'm here, out of curiosity: what would have happened, had I ran away? Would I have lost the showdown? Would I have lost stored resources? Would my surviving survivor generated endeavour?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My group beat the watcher (1.3) in our second campaign.

I'd suggest beating the core at least once on its own, and, from the little information I have above, I think you're probably playing it too conservatively. You can realistically start hunting level 2 antelopes around the time you fight the first Butcher, for instance.

Regarding run away, I still don't really understand what's intended, regarding its mechanics or use, since the language is confusing and it just seems like a bad idea as we've interpreted it, so my group has never used it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fen Batten
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stop Poking!
spiralingcadaver wrote:
Regarding run away, I still don't really understand what's intended, regarding its mechanics or use, since the language is confusing and it just seems like a bad idea as we've interpreted it, so my group has never used it.

Its main use is in cheese strategies such as Last Man Standing and Red Ring of Death (RROD) where you only want one person fighting or to "nope" out of the King's Man encounters by having everyone run away repeatedly until it's over.

Designwise it's clearly a copy of the same table in Warhammer Quest, but it's so much more punishing. So Pictographs is an innovation you pick when you are breaking the game or when you want the passive benefits it gives on certain hunt events

Anyone who wants it as an escape from a failed hunt, well most of the time it cripples the survivor so badly that they are basically dead anyway. So it would only be to try and preserve breedable traits.

I'm pretty sure it's left in because of Adam's love of the 1990s Warhammer Quest that he based a lot of KDM's mechanics on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a run away table in Warhammer quest? I think I never used that... The gift that keeps on giving
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
Add Lonely Tree and go again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninja_Bob wrote:

I'm confused. I thought people didn't like the lonely tree?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Flower Knight?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Ninja_Bob wrote:

Nah, most of the hate is cost vs. content. It is a fun nemesis, once-ish per campaign, with not so big rewards, that integrates seamlessly with everything.

It's just the cost of the very big miniature that makes it troublesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
Razoupaf wrote:
Ninja_Bob wrote:

I only suggest it because it has the least amount of impact among expansions when you integrate it into a campaign.

** minor spoiler**

1) Randomly draw a terrain tile? Lonely Tree.
2) Randomly draw a hunt event? Lonely Tree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
My group beat the watcher (1.3) in our second campaign.

I'd suggest beating the core at least once on its own, and, from the little information I have above, I think you're probably playing it too conservatively. You can realistically start hunting level 2 antelopes around the time you fight the first Butcher, for instance.

Thanks, I'd like to beat it once too, before moving on.
I know what you mean by conservatively. I'm afraid of a TPK but fortunately, it's only happened to lvl 1 King's Mand and lvl 2 Butcher this time. I survived everything else, and I've played more aggressively, getting leather by the time I met Butcher 1. Sounds a bit early for a lvl 2 Antelope though

I suppose I should learn to not be afraid of the Phoenix too.

This time I messed up with shields and bandages even though I built a lot of them. The lack of surge made them hard to use and somehow, even though it's not permitted, I had a guy have 2 bandages. I don't even know what happened there But that messed me up and I lost everyone to bleeding tokens.

I've opened Gorm, Spidicules and Dragon King although I don't intend to play them yet.
Dragon King is huuuuuuge!

boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
Maybe Flower Knight?

Because OP stuff? Are you trying to handhold me? You may be right, I might need easy mode ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fen, thanks, re: WHQ; I've only played the more recent reboot.

Raz, yeah, a lot of KD is learning when to be conservative and when not to be. There are often times where you can say "hey, I want some good resources this year; I'm gonna leave behind anyone I care about, and take a few decent newbs to go in against something a little too tough," for instance.

Maybe some decent newbs will die, or maybe they'll distinguish themselves; either way, you're mitigating some of the risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:

I thought that too, and then I had one of my most brutal TPK's ever. I don't even think I wounded the Phoenix.

I should mention one of my survivors died because of a bad roll on a hunt event and I had no dash, which pretty much meant I started out greatly gimped already.

I feel like if you want to go beyond lv 1 Lion/Antelope, it's more important to have dash and surge rather than anything else. Dice can work with or against you no matter how well-geared you are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vinceness wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:

I thought that too, and then I had one of my most brutal TPK's ever. I don't even think I wounded the Phoenix.

I should mention one of my survivors died because of a bad roll on a hunt event and I had no dash, which pretty much meant I started out greatly gimped already.

I feel like if you want to go beyond lv 1 Lion/Antelope, it's more important to have dash and surge rather than anything else. Dice can work with or against you no matter how well-geared you are.

Dash, mostly dash! Surge I need against the Nemesis mostly. Like I said, against Butcher 2, the lack of Surge killed me since I couldn't block or heal AND hit in the same turn, and merely blocking/healing seemed useless when he kicks your butt so hard. My only hope was to race him and that nearly happened, but just nearly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the record, here's how the two last years of the settlement went with my last 2 survivors.

Hunt lvl 1 Antelope, reach it, draw furry throat, crit, roll a 10 -> Dead Antelope in one shot.
Innovate Saga, roll twice on Augury gain 2 Understandings.

Hunt lvl 2 Antelope, skip Overwhelming Darkness, monster runs 3 squares away, we reach it, a survivor gets masticated a lot and loses 2 arms, but bites the Antelope's arse to death.
We have +3 endeavor (with hunt + cooking). Draw Plague for the 100th time. At least it's not murder. Two lanterns, one catches the plague and is healed.
Innovate into Inner Lanter. Not bad on LY 18 right?
Roll on Founder's Eye, +1 to intimacy roll. Use Love Joice, roll a 2 and a 3 for like the hundredth time.
This settlement was not meant to be.
I think I've rolled a 2 on 85% on my intimacy rolls, and used almost all my rerolls on that.
I'll not submit to King's Man lvl 2 with only 1 survivor, I think you'll forgive me for that.

I'm impressed how good my team of two did against the lvl 2 Antelope, honestly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Awaited King
msg tools
mbmbmb
My advice is to mix it up a little - maybe add one early Monster and one Nemesis.

If the vanilla campaign starts to feel like a chore adding some expansions will go a long way - otherwise, you may kill that game for yourself, and it's not worth it.

In the end (depending on your expansions inventory) there are so many different campaigns that you will want to try, that it's just not worth it to make yourself tired of the game by being strict on oneself.

I know how you feel - I had that same problem and really wanted to finish basic Lantern first but after I lost 2 campaign and 2 other died because people got tired of them I just couldn't make myself go on.

Then I added Gorm and Manhunter, and it changed everything

Edit: You can always revisit vanilla rooster of monsters with Advanced Rules from Gamblers Chest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:

So I did try not playing conservatively.

It resulted in:
- Getting TPKed against Gorm in lantern year 1. Twice. I resetted the second fight because prologue lion is not very entertaining. And not point going after a LY1 TPK.
- Getting TPKed against Flower Knight lvl 1 after winning the first fight.
- Getting TPKed against White Lion level 2 (all 4 survival actions). Resetted the LY to kill a lvl 1 because no point in going on after that many TPKs.
- Losing 1 survivor to Fear Forgotten, getting TPKed against Slenderman level 1, then losing 2 survivors to Murder in the same year.
- Getting TPKed against Screaming Antelope level 2 (all 4 survival too). Basically, hunt resulted in "everyone loses all survival points).

It would seem that not playing conservatively is not the way to go for me.

I can't reset this year because I don't remember what the hunt changed besides stripping me of all my survival points.

I just don't know how to approach this game anymore. It feels like from the moment I start, it's nothing but being thrown repeatedly against a wall until my brain explodes while three strong armed bullies hold my arms and legs so I cannot move at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, you are having horrible luck. Sorry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrauGeist wrote:
Wow, you are having horrible luck. Sorry

I'm also terrible at the game.

That's quite a deadly combination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Want to play a TTS session with me?
I have to find a time slot, but we are on same timezone, it could possibly help.

We can use your settlement, if you put the sheets online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
t3clis wrote:
Want to play a TTS session with me?
I have to find a time slot, but we are on same timezone, it could possibly help.

We can use your settlement, if you put the sheets online.

Hi Alessio,

That's a nice offer. I don't have TTS though. I'd have to look at the requirements but my computer being approximately 10 years old, my hopes aren't too high I'll look into and let you know

I've been reading Spiraling Cadaver's strategy guide, it's quite interesting, I'll see if I can apply it to my games.

By the way do you need to build the Sunstalker for his campaign or is he not part of it? That would be weird but I didn't see it in the quarry list or Nemesis encounters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
You will eventually have to build it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.