Near and Far» Forums » General

Subject: Good for Random Wandering? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Armaan Khan
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, when I play Tales of the Arabian Nights (solo, always solo), I generally just grab a character and roam across the board having random adventures. It's great fun, and I was wondering if that style of play is also possible with Near and Far? I just love the look of the characters and atlas, but I can't tell if it would be suited for that sort of play. Anyone who's familiar with both care to chime in with an opinion?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't comment on comparative gameplay, because I haven't played Arabian Nights (yet).

But I thought I'd mention that Near and Far doesn't solo straight out of the box. You'd need either a fan automata or I think that the forthcoming expansion has a solo mode (Although I don't know if that's a k/s exclusive)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
holdmykidney wrote:
I can't comment on comparative gameplay, because I haven't played Arabian Nights (yet).

But I thought I'd mention that Near and Far doesn't solo straight out of the box. You'd need either a fan automata or I think that the forthcoming expansion has a solo mode (Although I don't know if that's a k/s exclusive)

It's not k/s exclusive as far as I'm aware.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armaan Khan
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Arabian Nights doesn't solo out of the box either. It's possible to play solo, but you've got to tweak it a little, which is why I play it the way I do.

I guess what I want to know is if the various story encounters in Near and Far are dynamic enough to be worth playing for those alone. In Arabian Nights, the encounters are highly dynamic and even if you get the same one twice, the outcome might be different depending on your skills, conditions, and (sometimes) dice rolls. Do the stories in Near and Far change from game to game? Do they branch and have different outcomes depending on what you do? These are the kinds of things I'd like to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own and haven't played this game, but you might want to check out Legacy of Dragonholt. It seems like more the kind of thing you'd really enjoy.

Have you played Above and Below? If you found the stories in that game immersive, you'll find Near and Far's stories more so - yet still, only a few stories seem connected to other stories. OTOH, the CHARACTER mode would be great solo! (proviso - I haven't played campaign mode yet)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALeX
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about Tales of the Arabian Nights.

In Near and Far
- there is currently no (official) co-op/solo mode but the first extension brings a co-op mode
- there are multiple ways to play the game:
- - either 1 or 10 games in a row and the stories are tied to the space you are on
- - about 4-5 games in a row and the stories are ties to your character
- - 1 game and there are no stories but a card which tells you what to to

In if you play more than 1 game in a row you have a character which can "level up".
There are 16 possible quest spots on each map but only 7/10/13 in a 2/3/4p game are used, and possible not even every one is activated in a game.
In each story you have to choose between two actions (sometimes dictated by your abilities) but after the result that's it. Sometimes there is a side-quest.
It's different for the character stories: they do branch and remember what happened before. There are eight characters.

This game is mainly a euro with some stories to read from time to time.

Hope that it helps.

Edit: if you play solo, check out the One stop co-op shop (e.g. the Legacy of Dragonholt video)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.