Unlocked: The Mansion of Mana» Forums » Rules

Subject: Novice Player Setup rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James M.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently received my game via Kickstarter and started reading the rules. The setup says, "If you are a novice player, you should follow the tableau layout shown below. As you get used to the key abilities, the key cards should be randomized." I take this to mean there is a specific arrangement of keys that is suggested as a starting point for learning the game. Unfortunately, the images in the manual that show these suggested tableaus make the layout of the cards clear, but the exact keys to use are not as obvious. I tried to match them up the pictures with the cards I have, and came up with the following, reading the cards down columns, from left to right:

2 & 3 players: Butterfly, Copper; Plague, Moth, Mirror; Ghost, Glass; Island, Tide, Steel; Dark Ore, Angel.

1, 4, & 5 players: Angel, Dark Ore; Burning, Druid's, Butterfly; Ghost, Alien, Moonstone, Glass; Needle, Steel, Mud; Copper, Chimera.

I'm not sure if these are correct, and I suspect some mistakes partly because the second layout, as I wrote it here, includes cards that wouldn't be used in a solo game according to the rules. If I made any mistakes here, could you please provide the correct layouts? Thanks for your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Howard
United States
Cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
James,

You got it!

I do see your point. The dark saturation of colors and small size made it hard to read the exact cards. Perhaps I can upload a pdf here for the correct key and orientation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James M.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I think that a supplementary file that makes this clearer would be useful.

Also, when playing solo, can you suggest key cards to replace Burning, Ghost, and Glass, which have a 2-player minimum? I think I picked randomly for my first game, but if you have a preferred option for the novice setup, it would be nice to know. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.