Subject: Fountain of Life vs Final Blow rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Fountain of Eternal Life vs Epic Fin Fang Foom.

Scheme says:

Quote:
All Villains and Mastermind Tactics have "Fight: Fateful Resurrection.

I have enough Attack to hit Fin Fang Foom for the Final Blow, but I know from hitting another Villain earlier in my turn that the top card of the Villain deck is a Strike.

My question is:
When playing Final Blow, does the Mastermind top card count as a tactic and therefore have Fateful Resurrection?

If no, I pulled off an awesome win.

If yes, there’s only one Villain followed by the four Twists left in the Villain deck after the Strike, so I can’t beat him (unless I can somehow cycle the HQ back around to the Ultimate Nullifier, which got buried by Demolish earlier in the game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Answering my own question:

I think it can’t count as a tactic, or you’d never be able to beat Apocalypse with Final Blow.

Which means I win
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
dontfeedthegreen wrote:

I think it can’t count as a tactic, or you’d never be able to beat Apocalypse with Final Blow.

Which means I win

I'm not sure I follow that logic.

Immortal and Undefeated
Fight: If this is not the final Tactic, rescue six Bystanders and shuffle this Tactic back into the other Tactics.
(Credit to the full text thread )

Text clearly relates to itself as a tactic, it simply limits it to be only the last one.

I would say : Yes, it counts and yes, you can't win like this.
Part of why I hate fateful resurrection. It can lead to situations where it's impossible to win no matter what you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
dontfeedthegreen wrote:

Which means I win

I'm not sure I follow that logic.

Immortal and Undefeated
Fight: If this is not the final Tactic, rescue six Bystanders and shuffle this Tactic back into the other Tactics.
(Credit to the full text thread )

Text clearly relates to itself as a tactic, it simply limits it to be only the last one.

I would say : Yes, it counts and yes, you can't win like this.
Part of why I hate fateful resurrection. It can lead to situations where it's impossible to win no matter what you do.

The scheme text specifies that Mastermind Tactics have fateful Resurrection. If the top card counted as a tactic, then immortal and undefeated would never be the final tactic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
dontfeedthegreen wrote:

The scheme text specifies that Mastermind Tactics have fateful Resurrection. If the top card counted as a tactic, then immortal and undefeated would never be the final tactic.

Ah... Sorry... I missed the part about final blow.
I thought you meant it was just the last tactic.

In that case, yes, you would be correct as there are no more tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Per the Dark City rule sheet, under "Challenge Modes":

Quote:
Final Blow: After you defeat the
Mastermind’s four Tactics, you must still
fight them a fifth time to claim the actual
Mastermind card and win.

The fifth card you defeat is specifically not referred to as a Tactic - just "the actual Mastermind card." As such, Fateful Resurrection would not be triggered by fighting it.

You won!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Deutsch
msg tools
mb
Nice win! Way to beat a very difficult mastermind with a fairly obnoxious scheme. I have not dealt with that issue in Eternal Life since I either flame out and get crushed or I've gotten all my final hits in when there is a villain as the top card.

How many players? I am not sure that I have ever beaten Eternal Life in single player mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
straightedge wrote:
Nice win! Way to beat a very difficult mastermind with a fairly obnoxious scheme. I have not dealt with that issue in Eternal Life since I either flame out and get crushed or I've gotten all my final hits in when there is a villain as the top card.

How many players? I am not sure that I have ever beaten Eternal Life in single player mode.

It was single player. The set-up was this:

M: Epic Fin Fang Foom
S: The Fountain of Eternal Life
V: Monster Metropolis, Octo-Bots
H: Mr Fantastic, Gambit, Luke Cage & Iron Fist

Octo-bots are some custom henchmen of mine, and Luke Cage & Iron Fist is a custom Divided Hero. Links to them can be found here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1790020/dftg-customs

I was pretty pleased with how it went too, I find this Scheme always tough so didn’t think I’d stand much chance against Epic Fin Fang Foom, but the Mr Fantastic Divided set combo worked great. Most of the Divided cards let you choose between Recruit and Attack, so I could take out a weak Villain and see what was on top of the Villain deck, then if it was a Strike or Twist I could just go big on Recruit and blow it all on extra cards for the next turn. I started one hand with 15 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Deutsch
msg tools
mb
Great strategy for a great win!

Excellent divided set, by the way. I like how it combined Iron Fist with the Civil War and Noir versions of Luke Cage. Heroes for Hire!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls